JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Acer 20" CRT Monitor - going to sleep , no picture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redgreen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Acer 20" CRT Monitor - going to sleep , no picture Reply with quote

This is a 20 inch flat CRT monitor that was working fine. I bought it new (as claimed by the salesman), but i was not impressed because the illumination kept getting dimmer and hard to see, and 6 months after purchase, it just wont turn on when there is a VGA signal. (The LED Should turn green when its on, but this now stays orange permenantly-- sleep mode)

At first I though a bad connection or my VGA card. But after testing the card and cables with other monitors everything checks out. I have then connected this Acer monitor to 3 more PCs and it did not work (still sleeping). As a last resort I got a DVD player with VGA out and tested it with it and nothing , no image , nada!

Now it suffers 2 problems, no luminance, and no signal recognized by it.
It's been setting like a dud for 3 years I don't know what's the matter with it.

can I repair this. It also has on the back the Mac/ old type twist on pins video connectors I forgot what ya ma call em.

the service center for acer is all the way across town and this thing is quite heavy , and it'll probably cost me more than a new 20" LCD to have them repair it.

any solutions that can be done at home. I have a multimeter and solder, minimal background in hobby electronics. (I quit after transistors)

Last edited by redgreen on Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I have almost no luck fixing monitors. There is almost no service literature available and often multiple versions of the same model number exist. My last 19"CRT monitor cost $119.

The only way repair is practical (in my opinion) is if there is a "quick fix" for the problems you are having. If the servicer is honest enough, they may tell you up front, if you ask politely, if there is a possibility of a simple repair. Without service manuals, the only easy repairs are intermittent solder connections (not always "easy"). If beating on the set causes it start working briefly, then soldering is a possibility.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine did that (21" Acer). Spent ages trying to trace fault and couldn't find anything amiss. Insides appeared pristine with no dust or signs of water/coffee damage or bad soldering. Got as far as the HT circuits then gave up out of concerns for my safety. Suspect it was a problem in the one of the control chips which I couldn't test. Couldn't face re-assembling it (on the top floor of a three-storey building and it weighed a lot) so disposed of it in three chunks. Those big tubes make a satisfying bang when the garbage crusher gets them, although there are now facilities in my area for recycling things like that. Speaking of recycling, check out your local area as there may be some place that takes old office or government equipment and sells them on. With shipping charges for heavy items like these being more than the monitor and no big demand for them you might get another one cheap.
redgreen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u guys know of any online guide for replacing the bulps on these things. I understand it could be quite dangerous due to the high voltage in the capacitors...

hmm.. i suppose if i dump the internals, fix some mesh-wire door on the front, it'd make a nice pet carrier for my cat Wink Wink
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need mesh wire as there is ample ventillation from the back panel; just remember to wear a mask if working with MDF. What is a bulp? If you mean the CRTube then forget it. If you mean the LED's then I doubt it would be as simple as that.
redgreen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah at the end of the tube, what do you call it ... i don't think it is an LED (is it?)
can u tall me more about this mask , and why would i need it

thanks
JustGreg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Acer X203H LCD that goes to sleep and refuses to wake. (ATI Radeon 9700) From what I've learned it's a software and or hardware design bug...something to do with the DVI port. It doesn't do it with the VGA connected. I tried to find an updated EDID but no luck.
Zaphod...the same Zaphod I've seen at Curtpalme.com? If so, hi Steve!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: