JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Starting for the 1st time -- Some Newbie questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
enliteneer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Starting for the 1st time -- Some Newbie questions Reply with quote

I cant wait to try this! I have a URC-8910 with a bunch of devices* that arnt listed on the OneForAll website (nor in the manual) so I'm really looking forward to all this! I had originally used the learning feature to program just one device (a SonicView 4000 FTA box), but it quickly came up MEMORY FULL.. considering I have 7 other devices, I figure this is not the right approach!

Looking over the tutorial, I need a cable, but it seems theres a bunch of different versions. Is the one here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/kit/instructions.shtml , based on the latest "TOOL mode in JP1.3" findings?

Also, whats the theory behind the wav files and "Extenders"? My manual says to download specialty codes, I can call the OFA HQ... but how does that work, do they play some touch tones (wav files) that the remote somehow hears??

Finally, doing a prelim search on for specific remotes (Device Upgrades files either KM or RM), I see that some of the devices I need are going to be a bit hard to find... is there any tutorial that shows how to make an upgrade file?
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=4

For example, is there a way to actually record an IR stream realtime directly to the pc? For ex. the twinhan 102g satellite card comes with usb IR receivers , http://i12.tinypic.com/8fm8vgg.jpg , I figure something like that could make it easy to see exactly what any remote is sending, no?

Thanks!

URC-8910
1. Tivo Series 2 (S2 Standalone Model: TCD540040 )
2. AESO DVD Player (Model PDVD-8048T)
3. GPX Clock radio (Model: KCCD6316DTSIL )
4. Sonicview 4000 FTA Satellite Receiver
5. Xbox 1 DVD Remote Dongle
6. AKAI TV (Model: PT42/47/52/5499HD)
7. Philips Magnovox TV
8. Mediagate MG-35N
9. Viewsat 'Ultra' FTA Satellite Receiver

Last edited by enliteneer on Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Starting for the 1st time -- Some Newbie questions Reply with quote

enliteneer wrote:
I need a cable, but it seems theres a bunch of different versions. Is the one here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/kit/instructions.shtml , based on the latest "TOOL mode in JP1.3" findings?

The 8910 needs an original JP1 cable, not a JP1.x cable. Assuming your PC has a parallel port, the link you quoted is correct. It is an original JP1 cable for parallel port. I don't know what you meant by "TOOL mode in JP1.3", but if we discard that quote, you seem to be on the right track.

enliteneer wrote:
Also, whats the theory behind the wav files and "Extenders"? My manual says to download specialty codes, I can call the OFA HQ... but how does that work, do they play some touch tones (wav files) that the remote somehow hears??

wav files: Yes. The remote doesn't actually hear the sounds. It has an inductive pickup for the magnetic signal produced as a byproduct of a speaker generating the sound. Unfortunately, there exist speakers that generate the sound without the byproduct magnetic signal and speakers that are well enough shielded that the magnetic signal doesn't get out. But with most PC speakers the process works.

With wav files you can do most of what you could have done via JP1 cable. It's easier via cable, but the wav file works with no extra hardware bought nor built.

Extenders: Not directly related to wav files. Extenders are software inserted into the remote's eeprom to take over control of features that weren't intended to be customizable.

enliteneer wrote:
is there a way to actually record an IR stream realtime directly to the pc? For ex. the twinhan 102g satellite card comes with usb IR receivers , http://i2.tinypic.com/8gipmy8.jpg , I figure something like that could make it easy to see exactly what any remote is sending, no?

I use CaptureIR for that.
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a cable, I'd recommend this USB JP1 Cable or this Parallel JP1 Cable that I happen to have for sale (shameless plug). Either works fine with the 8910.

Since you're just starting out, you should probably concentrate on building your upgrades, then tackle extenders once you have some experience and a better understanding of how everything works.

As long as you still have the original remotes to learn from, building upgrades should be pretty straight forward, although a little tedious. Looks like you should be able to find upgrades in the file section which are pretty close for at least half your devices.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instructions for using JP1 are available in Beginners - PLEASE read this thread first.
Specific directions for creating device upgrades are here for KM and here for RM.

For creating device upgrades from scratch, you can learn signals with your URC-8910, then download and decode them in IR. Or you can use CaptureIR.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
classicsat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can read raw IR streams to your PC, you can use those to find out codes to make upgrades with, if you know how to interpret what is learned by the PC.
enliteneer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The 8910 needs an original JP1 cable, not a JP1.x cable. Assuming your PC has a parallel port, the link you quoted is correct. It is an original JP1 cable for parallel port. I don't know what you meant by "TOOL mode in JP1.3", but if we discard that quote, you seem to be on the right track.

Thanks, I had been poking around reading up in the how-to file section, and came across that line from the pdf "A Brief Chronological History of UEI Remotes and Interface Designs". The pdf talks about how the the JP1 design has changed over time so I was just making sure the schematic was the latest and greatest Smile

Quote:
For a cable, I'd recommend this USB JP1 Cable or this Parallel JP1 Cable that I happen to have for sale (shameless plug). Either works fine with the 8910.

I think I have a db25 connector and some resistors laying around somewhere, but if I cant get my own up, that usb cable version you got looks ideal!

Regarding the extenders, I'm still a way aways, but just curious, what kind of new features can be added to an 8910?

Thanks!
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7389
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think I have a db25 connector and some resistors laying around somewhere, but if I cant get my own up, that usb cable version you got looks ideal!

The parallel version is easy to build if you have all the parts. The 6 pin connector is what most people don't have lying around the house, although you can get by with a modified IDE connector.

And just to clarify, the particular parallel cables I mentioned are used ones of mine. The USB version you get direct from Tommy Tyler, one of the founding fathers of JP1 and the original designer of all JP1 cables. It's his latest and greatest design.
Zellarman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

enliteneer wrote:
Regarding the extenders, I'm still a way aways, but just curious, what kind of new features can be added to an 8910?

I've still got quite a bit left as far as learning all this stuff goes, but have made it to an extender on my 9910 (same as 8910, only w/ RF)

The extender is working great for me, I've used LKP's on device buttons to execute set up macros, ie: a short press just selects that device to be controlled, but a long key press of the same button will set up my system for watching or listening to that device. For example a LKP of my HT button turns on the TV, selects the input connected to my sattelite receiver and turns on the sattelite receiver, Similiarly, a DSM on the power button shuts the same devices off. There's a ton of support within this forum, and most everyone is really helpful

Good luck and happy JP-1 ing
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: