JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New remote: Cox Cable URC-7820 JP1.3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: New remote: Cox Cable URC-7820 JP1.3 Reply with quote

Since FIOS is unavailable in my neighborhood, and a neighbor's trees block my sightlines to the southern sky (i.e Dish and DirecTV are unavailable as well), I finally had to break down and get Cox Cable for my HD-DVR needs. Got 2 Scientific Atlanta Explorer boxes, one SD-DVR (8300) and the other an HD-DVR (8240 HDC).

Both boxes look the same except for the silkscreen info and of course rear panel connectors.

They both come with the and respond to this new 4-device remote.

It is a URC-7820, and although it appears the same as kupakai's URC-7820 this one is labelled JP1.3 and has signature 30463046. Here is a raw download of this remote (no rdf exists) with the default CBL (1877) and DVD setup codes and changed TV and AUX codes. It has CBL channel locked, and I switched the VOL lock from the default TV to AUX. It has a master Power functionality - if you press and hold PWR, it will send sequentially all of your device power signals.

Can someone throw a starter RDF my way? Then I'll do all of the keymove/macro stuff to try to identify the button codes.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the SA8300 have the PIP in the box? My daughter has an SA8400 (TWC) which does, which works well for her since her non-HD TV doesn't have PIP. She was provided an Atlas 1055 with hers.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaker.guy wrote:
Does the SA8300 have the PIP in the box?
Hmm... I don't know. It never occurred to me that PIP functionallity could be in the box, since it's a single-tuner (AFAIK) so how would it do PIP?
speaker.guy wrote:
My daughter has an SA8400 (TWC) which does, which works well for her since her non-HD TV doesn't have PIP. She was provided an Atlas 1055 with hers.
My TV is a non-PIP type, so I never even considered testing those buttons. As luck would have it, I'm at work right now Rolling Eyes , but will test that - maybe I have a functionality of which I was unaware.

Although for the record, Cox cable was REALLY my last resort, and I do NOT recommend it - even though I'll be a customer for the foreseeable future. I don't like their prices, I don't like their programming packages, I don't even like the user interface and/or the program guide! Evil or Very Mad Dish (and Sky in the UK) are SO much superior. (Never seen/used Tivo, so can't compare, but I hear that's even better!)

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8400 is dual tuner. That is how they do it. If the 8300 is single tuner, I guess it doesn't have the capability. Is IS nice when your TV doesn't!
I guess the 8300 can't record two shows at once either.
UPDATE: I know this is OT, but I just went back and checked the online users guide and it implies that the 8300 has 2 tuners!
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just tested out PIP and the box creates its own PIP, so obviously it has to have 2 tuners! (Cox doesn't provide any operator's manual or anything with their gear! Evil or Very Mad Gotta figure it all out by yourself.)

Thanks for the tip.

(I haven't TRIED recording 2 shows at once, but I see no reason that I cannot at this point.)

Now as for that rdf..... (I've created an updated map and image file for a color image - will have to name the new JP 1.3 rdf so as to distinguish it from the JP 1.1 (or is it 1.2?) version)

Amazon Firestick
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyways, although this 7820 is a seemingly nice remote, it suffers from what ails MANY CBL/SAT providers' remotes - NOT ENOUGH DEVICES!

This thing has 4, even my current favorite URC-1056 (Atlas OCAP) has only 5, and I have AT LEAST 7 components to control: TV, RCVR, CBL box, Multi-system DVD, HD-DVD, VCR, Laserdisc Player.

If only my 8910/HTPros or 2117's had more memory!. I love these 8-device remotes, but can't fit all of my upgrades into them!

Personally, I think multiplexing (on the Atlas or Cox remote) is an inelegant solution, but it's the only one that can accomodate all of my requirements right now.

Can the number of "Devices" be altered in an extended remote? Or is that limit somehow hard-coded into the ROM?

Amazon Firestick
Evan_s

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's possible to extend it in some way different than device multiplexing already offers. I do know that the 6820,8820,10820 all use the same remote internally so the 6820/8820 have several hidden devices that don't have buttons to activate them normally that can be accessed in a variety of different ways.

Depending on what is need for the devices there are other options too. I've used the Nec 4 dev combo protocol to make a single device upgrade that controls my TV and Receiver for my 1067a comcast remote since it's only a 3 device remote. Really all I use from my TV is the power and direct input selection that are used mainly in macros so it was no problem to have them combined into a single device and setup a couple keymoves/macros to get it doing what I needed on my tv.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can the number of "Devices" be altered in an extended remote? Or is that limit somehow hard-coded into the ROM?

On the JP1.2 and JP1.3 remotes, anything is possible. The question is how difficult this would be. Right now in the RAW data, you see the signature, the 5 setup codes, and then all the setting information that tells if you want VPT, vpt device, alternate keyboards....... Moving the 5 setup codes or all the settings would require extensive probing of the remote. It might be doable. But the degree of difficulty would be very high.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree in principle about the multiplexing, and on the Atlas OCAP, quite frankly, you don't have the "keymove" problem mentioned in another post since almost EVERY button is in the buttonmap for the CBL device, so they can all be covered in the upgrade.

I sorta never need the TV device - it's JUST the monitor - so all I need is to include the upgrade and call on the Power and input selection functions, as well as have a macro for aspect ratio in ALL modes, so it need not be assigned to any device button (but there's a button LABELLED "TV"! What device do I put on there that's instinctive?). And in principle, the receiver is similarly used, I still need to access it as a "primary" device on the rare occassion that I use its radio, or "other" (iPod or USB inputs) functions, so I have to have it available somewhere.

Stacking the two DVD players is at least intuitive, but there's no obvious place to stack the LD player unless I put it on TV (which doesn't "feel" right) or VCR, so I guess I'd go:

CBL=CBL
TV=TV (wasteful)
AUD=RCVR
DVD=DVD + HD-DVD multiplexed (burdensome)
VCR=VCR + LD multiplexed (burdensome)

The good news is that the buttonmaps for the 1056 are "robust" enough (as I mention above) that I shouldn't have problems with keymoved functions from one device interfering with desired functions from its multiplexed "sister" device.

Amazon Firestick
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Stacking the two DVD players is at least intuitive, but there's no obvious place to stack the LD player unless I put it on TV (which doesn't "feel" right) or VCR, so I guess I'd go:

That's the problem I have with the black remotes. I find it difficult to re-lable the keys. With the silver ones, you can use decal inkjet paper, and slide the tiny lables into place.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, now that I think of it, the three middle buttons (F1, On Demand, and F2) have a stick-on label that I could probably replace with a custom label. The location of those buttons isn't ideal for device selection, but it may be good for the infrequently-used devices like Laserdisc.

...or triple-stack the DVD button with both DVD players and the LD player. Hmmmm......... Rolling Eyes

Amazon Firestick
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn, I'm sure you are aware of this, but I'll say it anyway. On you JP1.2 Atlas, I didn't provide as many phantom buttons as I could have. If you look at the keymap you might be able to add 20 non-shiftable, phantom keys. I didn't expand on these when I moved from the 8820 to the atlas. The 8820 had 10 devices instead of 5, so it needed 20 more HT keys. Those 20 phantom keys can be used for keymoves and macros.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:
Capn, I'm sure you are aware of this, but I'll say it anyway. On you JP1.2 Atlas, I didn't provide as many phantom buttons as I could have. If you look at the keymap you might be able to add 20 non-shiftable, phantom keys. I didn't expand on these when I moved from the 8820 to the atlas. The 8820 had 10 devices instead of 5, so it needed 20 more HT keys. Those 20 phantom keys can be used for keymoves and macros.
Thanks for the info, Vicky. I'm sort of locked in to REALLY REALLY liking the 1056 OCAP. I know it's a silly obsession, but the extra Blue "D" button makes a world of difference to me such that when I hold the 1055 (any variant) I immediately "feel" the lack of that fourth color/letter button.

Amazon Firestick
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm sort of locked in to REALLY REALLY liking the 1056 OCAP. I know it's a silly obsession, but the extra Blue "D" button makes a world of difference to me such that when I hold the 1055 (any variant) I immediately "feel" the lack of that fourth color/letter button.

That must be a European thing. I did pick one of the 1056 OCAPS on Ebay for testing, but I haven't had the time to investigate any of the JP1.3 remotes.

I notice the 7820 doesn't have your fourth color button either and its only a 4 device instead of 5. However I think this remote is very attractive. Too bad they are not JP1.2 Crying or Very sad I'd be on them in a heartbeat if they were.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's becoming a not-only European thing, since in addition to my Euro-spec JVC TV, my 100% U.S.-market Sharp Aquos LCD TV has four buttons labelled A-D, each of which is a different color, and my 100% U.S.-Market Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player also has four buttons labeled A-D, so there is a direct correlation in usability.

Amazon Firestick
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: