JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New radio shack remote; 15-135
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sidiko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,

Can you help me understand where kupakai came up with these advanced codes? Are they somewhere here in the files area or something? I read a general explanation of advanced codes that Tommy wrote but I do not know how to apply the concept and make sense out of the files area resources?

You may have to review the thread a little, but basically, kupakai was trying to assist me with programming a record pause and record stop on my Sony RDR GX330 DVD Recorder which came with a Sony RMT-D229A Remote Control (that did not have these functions).

How may I have used our resources and determined this on my own?

kupakai wrote:

Try using these advanced codes to program those two functions if you are using either 20533 or 21533:

record pause = 00177
record stop = 00175

HOLD ON! I see where kupukai gave me a reply, for some reason I am just now seeing it. Newbie Blues I guess. Let me digest what he posted and see if I can make sense of it!
sidiko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kupakai,

Well, I am a little bit closer understanding your post. So after finding my results in Devices.xls, I move to using RemoteMaster? I see a lot of "RM" icons in the files area, but I take it there is a basic RM spreadsheet program? I am stuck here but I will pick it up here when I begin again.

kupakai wrote:
Then using Remotemaster, set it up using the info you have from Device.xls (in your case, it would be Sony20 protocol with device=26 and subdevice=73). You need to then find the command code, or OBC, for the functions. For Sony devices, you can find most of them here. For "Record Pause" it would be 62, so you enter that in the OBC column in Remotemaster and it will give you the EFC number which is what you enter for the advanced code. Your remote uses 5 digit EFC numbers (not to be confused with 5 digit set up codes), and RM should give you 00177

kupakai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, my post is kind of confusing, but I was trying to get a lot in there Embarassed

First of all, to back track a bit, if you are going to use the cable to program your remote, you can just download an upgrade file of model similar to your model (for example GX350 or some other Sony DVD recorder) and edit that to fit your remote and layout and upload it to your remote.

You only need to find the code in Device.xls and then replicate the setting in Remotemaster if you want to get the advanced codes to punch in using the keymove function on your remote without using the JP1 cable.

You can download Remotemaster here, and you also need to download the RDF files, and the map and image files. Remotemaster can read both RM files (extension RMDU), and KM files (extension .TXT) in the upgrade section.
sidiko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kupakai,

No, I think your post was very helpful. I still do NOT have a cable. I ordered one from Tommy, even after mdavej warned me to be specific in dealing with Radio Shack remotes, I got a cable with a connector that would NOT fit into the 15-135. And I re-read Tommy's post, and he makes it clear, that the buyer has to do their OWN thinking. "Saying Radio Shack ain't enough." You must specify you want the "special connector."

So, I FREELY admit this in hopes that other buyers will think things out before ordering a cable. Besides being embarrassing, it costs real $greenback$!

Tommy does real neat work too. He places shrink tubing in all the right places to beef up the cable. Anyone, unless mistreated, should get many, many years of service from a cable manufactured by Tommy.

So, having said all that, I just want to see what all I can do and learn about the remote without a cable. (mdavej motivated me to do this in an earlier post).

When I read your post, it appeared you were trying to assist in the same manner (do things with the remote without a cable). At the same time, it looked to me that I was getting an introduction into JP1-land too (by that I mean the tools, the files, etc).

So, that is where I left off in my last post. I hope I was not too far off course.

I think, if I can be taught where these advanced codes can be derived, from a source, or combination of sources on our site, it will be a big step for me to become at least, a little more independent.

I am very eager to punch in (by hand) the advanced codes and achieve the record pause and record stop for my Sony DVD recorder. Not that I need those functions urgently, but to learn the teaching points.

mdavej may have had additional concepts in mind when he nudged me forward in his earlier post. Bottom line, I want to learn all of the cool things I can do with this before my cable gets here, and with Tommy, that won't be but a few more days if it is like the last order.

OK, you brought up "keymoves." I guess I need to hit the glossary again. I browsed the terms but I have forgotten what keymoves do for us.

I know we have good guides written by Robman, Tommy and by the way, the Quick Reference by mdavej (I downloaded it, replaced all occurances of "SETUP" with "P" to make it more goof-proof for ME at least [this makes it more RS 15-135 specific]), and I am reading them, honest, but I guess I am making slow progress.

Unless I am in the weeds, kupakai, your post has moved me forward.

I will return to your last post now and persue it some more.

Thanks All.

I added this edit: ALL, I HAVE READ, AND REREAD THIS POST MANY, MANY TIMES AND I WOULD LIKE TO PRINT IT. HOWEVER, WHEN I DO A PRINT PREVIEW, it is 8 big pages with boo-koo wasted space (white space). I tried the printer friendly button but I get an error message:
Template->loadfile(): No file specified for handle qrbody

Am I doing something wrong or is this function "broke?"
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've already exchanged it, but you could have used the first cable by taking off the outermost clip. The smaller connector is better but not absolutely necessary.

A keymove is simply programming an advanced code to a key or copying one key to another (code 994).
sidiko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej,

Yes, I exchanged it, and yes, I saw in one of your earlier post, that the larger connector could be trimmed or modified and be used with the smaller opening, typical of the Radio Shack remotes. You made that clear and I still bought the wrong cable. I was brand new when I read your post, inundated with all of this material and I guess in technical shock, at least that's my excuse and I'm stickin to it.

And I grew up with ribbon cable and those types of connectors, and I have done things in the past to get by, but, Tommy has it going on with those pictures he has posted of the "special connector." I said, shoot, if I am going to be in the Radio Shack remote business (I don't have any Tivo, Comcast, Adelphia, etc remotes), I might as well have that slick cable, with the smaller connector, that Tommy has for sale.

Thanks a bunch, you and kupakai have been loads of help.

Did you also see an earlier question I have about printing this thread? I am having trouble getting the printer friendly version to work. Any experience with that?

(In that post, I stated I want to print this thread for my notes).
sidiko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kupakai,

Your 2 new advanced codes work fine! I finally keyed them in without being able to use the site tools to see how I could have found them myself. I will need the record advanced code to go along with what you have provided me, so, good incentive to learn how to do it.

So, that is still my intent, to figure it out per your instructions.

And yesterday, our Direct TV DVR remote fell from the couch to the floor (2 1/2 feet) and now it is as dead as a doornail. None of my Radio Shack 15-135 codes will work on the DVR! Now I am in REAL BAD SHAPE!

I tried manually inputting the device codes, twice. There must be over 15 codes and I tried each twice. Tried searching twice too.

No cable yet, but should be soon, from Tommy.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your receiver was set to RF mode, you will need another RF remote or use the front panel keys on the dvr to switch it back to IR. The code in the 15-135 is SAT 01377.
sidiko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan,

Thanks, but I found the problem with the DTV remote. I found some white cell chemical residue on the spring/contact deep inside the remote. I had some 5 inch q-tips and kept wiping it and trying it, and after a while, It began to work. BUT IF THIS HAD BEEN A REAL FAILURE?

This sort of tells me, that I should learn the codes from ALL of my NOT JP1 remotes and keep them in a JP1 file (which one, KM, RM?) and on my PC for safe keeping.

Tommy said my cable with he special connector shipped today. I guess I will be jumping into JP1 land soon.

Thanks again, for the help from all of you on this thread.
sidiko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
You can also do quite a bit without JP1.

mdavej, got any ideas about finding a device code for my -135 for my very abundant, Direct TV DVR-R10? I could not get a manual code from the book to work, or search for it sucessfully?

I should have a cable in a few days. But it is hard to believe RS would turn out a remote that could not handle this mainstream Satellite rig. (I will try some more, I could be punching in some wrong keypresses)?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your directv dvr model is a R10 or R10-250 HD tivo, then the codes are 01442 & 01142.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

sidiko wrote:
This sort of tells me, that I should learn the codes from ALL of my NOT JP1 remotes and keep them in a JP1 file (which one, KM, RM?) and on my PC for safe keeping.

Yes, this came back to bite me. I'd recommend having an upgrade for every OEM remote you own. But after you've learned a few keys, I'd check the file section here and see if there is a similar upgrade in the file section. The reason you want to check out all the similar upgrades, is you want to find hidden features for your equipment (You know like the Record Pause button). You might also find useful discretes.

I'd also recommend you save your upgrades in the file section here, so other people can have the benefit too.
sidiko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
If your directv dvr model is a R10 or R10-250 HD tivo, then the codes are 01442 & 01142.

01442! Obviously I was doing something wrong, thanks again.

Got an email from Tommy, my interface cable is in the mail! What is the first thing I should do with it when I get it?
sidiko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A Reply with quote

kupakai wrote:
It doesn't look like the 15-135 has a built in setup code for the HK receiver, but HK is fairly consistant about the ir codes they use so you should be able to find an upgrade file that you can start with. However, make sure you use an upgrade file that uses "NEC 4 Device Combo", not "HK Combo". HK Combo is essentially NEC 2 DEV Combo with the first device as 128.112 and second device as 130.114. It was created before there were NEC Combo protocols, and will either require a protocol upgrade, or RM will complain that there is no protocol upgrade for your remote, depending on the remote (I think in case of JP1.3 remote, it will be the former).

Kupakai,

I got my interface cable in today. I am now doing all of the reading (on this site) that many of you recommended. Using Tommys "older" word document, to learn enough to test the cable.

Your info above, is ultra-tech sounding to me being a newbie and all. My HK AV rig is low priority compared to some other equipment I need upgrades for. But, eventually I will tackle it, and have to learn the lingo you used in the above quote.

I am not asking you to explain any more right now on the HK. I am curious however, about an idea mdavej eluded to when we all bought a -135 remote. Would there be any advantage to learn my all of my HK remote codes using my RS -135? Or is that crazy? I think vickyg thought it was a good idea when I ran it by her, unless I misunderstood.

By the way, you, mdavej and vickyg have been a bunch of help, thank you all very much.

Well, back to reading and downloading the software. There is a note in this thread by mdavej I need to find. I think, guidance about going the RM or KM route since he knows a little about the gear I have. (Gonna inventory my gear and RC's tomorrow and add to my profile, something I saw another JP1 member do). Articles from Mark Pierson, in this forum have been helpful too, especially his links that I see often.

Later.
sidiko

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
You need THIS JP1.3 cable.

Got the cable today. Anything tricky about installing the driver, or is Tommys link straight forward?

EDIT: Nevermind, got the drivers installed via Tommy's link to the chip manufacturer.

I read Tommy's connection orientation guide for connecting the interface cable to a remote. I noted it does NOT correspond to the "T" opening of the RS - 135 remote. You just have to find the pin numbers and use them.

Tommy's article still assisted me in connecting the cable correctly the first time. THEN, I Successfully downloaded my remote!! Progress, but boo-koo more to learn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: