JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Was an expert... now totally forgotten :(

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monkfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Was an expert... now totally forgotten :( Reply with quote

Hi Guys, some years ago I made up my JP1 cable and used IR7 & RM to program my one-for-all 7562 remote, but I've forgotten nearly everything I did back then. Before I get too involved I thought I'd better ask you guys the best way to achieve what I'm after (if possible).

I have just had my old Virgin (Samsung SMT-2110C Cable Box) upgraded to a fancy new Virgin Tivo 500 box. Most of the remote functions still seem to work, but the rmdu file for that old 2110C remote didn't include basic PVR functions such as Play, Stop, FF, Rev, etc.

I could probably use the "learn" feature of my 7562, but it might not have enough memory capacity remaining for all those functions. What is the best way to proceed? I don't know if there is a device code for the new Tivo?

Thank you Smile
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend changing to RMIR, rather than using RM + IR. I find it to be much easier to use.

Since your new box responds to the signals from the old box, we can pretty easily find a good candidate for an existing upgrade file. Use JP1Master to find the IR protocol used with your old box (RC-5, device 10, upgrade submitted by Monkfish Very Happy ), and then use the drop down capability to sort for device 10 in the Dev1 column. That turns up several upgrades, and I suppose that Samsung SMT-H3110 (Virgin V+ box) will work well for you.

Download from your remote, save a backup RMIR file, and delete the RC-5 upgrade. Add the new upgrade from above, save a new RMIR file, and then upload to your remote. If the upgrade is missing some functions, learn them into the 7562, download from the remote, and copy the decoded OBC values and function names into the RC-5 upgrade. Then you can deleted the learns.

Last edited by 3FG on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow IR 7 is really old. RMIR was still in its infancy back then.

I still prefer IR to RMIR and IR 8 is packed with great features that will make jp1ing better.

Both RMIR and IR are great tools.

I forgot everything I knew when I didn't make any remote changes for several years. I found the learning curve to be extremely difficult the 1st time, and the frustration level the 2nd time was more painful. So I compiled my notes into a document (IRHELP) that might make the relearning process
a bit easier.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8629

You might note we have a WIKI now, that will help you get back up to speed.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
Monkfish

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers guys, that is much appreciated. I will see if I can re-energize those old brain cells Smile
Monkfish

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was painless Smile

I've posted up a list of all the button codes on the new Virgin Media RC.

Click here
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: