JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Alternatives to JP1/JP1.X remotes?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IBNobody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Alternatives to JP1/JP1.X remotes? Reply with quote

I love my JP1 Cinema 7 remote, but it's beginning to show its age. It just doesn't have enough hard buttons to cope with all the new DVR STBs. (I try to avoid shifting.)

The only JP1/JP1.x remotes that I liked for DVR STBs were the ones made by UEI's OEM arm, and the top-of-the-line remotes are hard to come by. (I won't settle for anything less than an Atlas OCAP 1056 backlit.) Why can't they make some consumer remotes styled similar to their OEMs?!?

So...

I'm starting to think I should abandon the JP1/JP1.x remotes and switch to something more expensive and mainstream.

Are there remotes in the $50-$200 range that have a bunch of hard buttons, can be programmed by a PC, and would generally give me the same functionality/quality that I've grown accustomed to from OFA/UEI products?

Help!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of the Cinema 7, and my DH won't use anything but the Cinema 7. I found that I needed shift and xshift to get enough functions and LKP's to make them manageable. Have you tried extender5?
Evan_s

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One option if you have an extender for your remote is to use LKP or DKP to get additional functions. I find this to be much simpler and easier to use makes more sense to me. I haven't actually had to use DKP yet but I'm using a fair number of LPKs now.

The backlit OCAPs seem to be a lot of peoples preferred option unfortunately they still seem to be extremely rare and hard to come by. I do agree that I generally find the OEM remotes for cable companies to be better suited for what people actually need now a days than most of the remotes One 4 All produces now a days.

My 6690 Hybrid kameleon is pretty much retired at this point with my 1025 atlas being my preferred remote until an extender is released for the backlit OCAP model.
IBNobody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried any of the newer extenders, but from what I saw in their readme, they won't solve my problem.

Aside from the fact that the 7800 doesn't have enough hard keys, I'm hitting my head against the Move Key limit. It's not like my 6012 with an 8k EEPROM, that's for sure.

If I can't get ahold of the OCAP, what non-JP remote would give me some of the same power that the JP's do?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logitech Harmony meets your requirements and seems to be the top choice in the $150 and up range. That's probably what I'd get as a step up (or rather leap, dollar wise) from JP1. If you're still open to sticking with JP1 if only you had a few more transport buttons, consider the 8910. Even without extenders, it's enough for me and my DVR, without any shifts. I just had to put commercial skip somewhere, so I put it on the Sleep button. Does everything I need. My shifts are for big macros like power or source switching.
IBNobody

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was worried that the 8910's/9910's were big and unwieldy. I have a 9800, and I thought it was too big and unwieldy.

But a Harmony is basically a high-dollar JP1 remote, huh? I'll have to look at that.
irs009

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Dollar, yes. JP1, No...Jack
Evan_s

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd check out http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8850 before you purchase a harmony remote. They are definitely the most popular computer programable remote and the activities is a pretty neat idea but I'm not sure if it will give you the programability you are looking for coming from JP1.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can hold off for a few weeks, I will have a few OCAPs (the black - NOT backlit version) available. Unfortunately, I am homeless, moving from the UK back to the US right now, and they are all on a slow boat to Baltimore. Rolling Eyes

(...and unclemiltie is hard at work on an extender for the OCAP as we type Smile )

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
IBNobody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure... I'll take one. Backlit or not, the extra buttons would be useful.

In the mean time, I'm getting a 1055 to hold me over.
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you really need an OCAP. It only has 2 more keys than the standard 1055 Atlas....Otherwise it is the same.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's only 2 additional buttons, but to me, those 2 extra buttons on the 1056 (especially the fourth "Color" button) REALLY make a big difference in usability and WAF. There's just no good place to put that 4th color button from my TV and CBL remotes on the 1055.

Obviously, each user decides what is important to him/her, but that's a pretty big one for me.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
IBNobody

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
I agree that it's only 2 additional buttons, but to me, those 2 extra buttons on the 1056 (especially the fourth "Color" button) REALLY make a big difference in usability and WAF. There's just no good place to put that 4th color button from my TV and CBL remotes on the 1055.

Obviously, each user decides what is important to him/her, but that's a pretty big one for me.

Me too. It would also allow me to easily map my 7800-esque controls to the new buttons. L1/L2/L3/L4 become A/B/C/D.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:

(...and unclemiltie is hard at work on an extender for the OCAP as we type :) )

a slight correction. The extender will support both the OCAP (URC-1056) and the non-OCAP remotes (URC-1055, both 3000 and 3033). If I'm lucky and can get ahold of someone to test it, I think it can also support the UC-2150 (3032) and probably some others. Right now, I'm doing all of my debugging on the 30003000 URC-1055.

And whomever said that the remotes are the same with the exception of the extra buttons is correct. There is virtually no difference between the 1055 and 1056 remotes "inside" except for the button (it's really only one button, the "D" button)
speaker.guy
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is 2 buttons. OCAP has separate "MENU' and 'SETTINGS' buttons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: