JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

URC-7780 Status ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: URC-7780 Status ? Reply with quote

I've been looking around for a remote to replace my aging RS15-1994 remotes (although I just got another new old-stock). In particular I want one that is aimed at DVRs, has a backlight(!), a workable keyboard, a large EEPROM and is JP1, of course. The 15-1994 has only 2K and this is getting limiting.

Since UEC left the US market, there's not much new here and the existing models seem inadequate. The 6131 has no backlight, which is a showstopper. Same with x820. The 8811 and derivatives aren't particularly DVR-friendly, and have really jammed-together keys in any event.

I see that UEC has a JP1.2 remote in Europe called the URC-7780. Not only does it have many DVR functions, the keypad is backlit and seems well spaced. It's listed as having a 4K EEPROM and JP1.2 built-in. Looks great.

But it isn't set up for US equipment, and I see no reason to believe that it is updatable for the USA. Other than JP1. I note that a few Europeans are attempting to modify it, but not so much luck. It would be necessary to completely reprogram it for most of my equipment (DirecTV, especially).

Questions: Is there any project to establish a solid IR/KM or RM codebase for the URC-7780? Is there one and I just don't see it? Is there an alternative remote that is better supported? Some OEM thing maybe?

If anyone is using this remote in the US, please let me know your experience
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1

Last edited by kcmurphy88 on Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat. I started with the RCU-810 a long long time ago and switched to the 6131 for the PVR keys. Although I like the remote, I miss the backlit keys.

About a year and a half ago, I got into the Kameleon's which are great in the dark, but you lose that "real button" feel and I'm note sure that's going to be the end-all for me. They do have reasonable PVR support though (i use mine for the Dish PVR series of satellite receivers)

I've recently started looking at the Atlas JP1.3 remotes, specificaly the Silver 1056 that has backlit keys. I've been working on an Atlas JP1.3 extender adn my intent is that is the remote that I'll be trying for my own use. The only downside is that they're hard to find and that since they came from a cable company, they don't have the skip forward button.

-bill
jimdunn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already SOME support here for the URC-7780, (do a forum search for 7780).

It seems as though you need to adapt a standard JP1.2 connector to fit the hole in the remote's casing.

There is an RDF in the official RDF zip - it's called

Code:
10621062_(URC-7780_Stealth_12).rdf

I found that I needed to remove the underscores from the RDF name, renaming it as:

Code:
10621062 (URC-7780 Stealth 12).rdf

I also needed to edit the rdf, adding the line:

Code:
ImageMap=URC-7780.map

to the end of the [General] section

It then worked in RM.

(Before removing the underscores, RM did not offer the remote as an option, and before adding the ImageMap entry, you could not use RM's Layout tab)

However, the RDF may be still evolving and not complete yet, as this is a newish remote and many of the US experts haven't even seen one.
kcmurphy88

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I note that amazon.uk will sell it, but only to UK addresses.
DirecTV since 1994 // HR20-700 (1TB) // HR21-700 (1TB) // Samsung PN59D7000 // Denon AVR3808CI // Panasonic DMP-BDT110 // Roku XDS // WD HDLive // RS15-1994 JP1.0 remote // Wired Ethernet // BA Micro90x 5.1
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in getting one of these 7780's. (The European OFA remotes seem vastly superior to what CompuTime distributes in North America.) So, I decided to check the RDF in RM, and found a few issues, even after modifying the RDF as above.

1. The CH- button is missing the "-" symbol.

2. The Skip+ and Skip- buttons are mislabeled as Rew and Ffw.

3. The Rew and FFwd buttons are not labeled or available for programming at all.

I easily corrected CH- and changed the spelling of Ffw to FFwd. However, it appears that the missing Skip+/- functions and Rew/FFwd mis-mapping is more complex.

-I notice that Skip+/- are listed in the MAP file. But, they are both assigned to function $00.

-The Rew/FFwd seem to be assigned to the matching function listed in the RDF. But, are mapped to the Skip +/- buttons on the JPG.

-There are 2 functions in the RDF that are not listed in the MAP file, Start and End. Might these actually be the Skip+ and Skip- functions? (They also show up, unmapped, as extra buttons at the bottom of the "layout".)

Any thoughts?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: