JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Looking for Atlas cable remote
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
n2deep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: Looking for Atlas cable remote Reply with quote

I'm looking for an Atlas "cable" remote control. There's a picture of it at http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=671591. It's the one on the right (with the bulge).

Thanks,
Steve
Scientific Atlanta 8000HD (dvr)
Philips HDTV
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's always a bunch of these listed at ebay. You can usually find them for anywhere from $.01 to about $10.00. There's a Pioneer cable remote used by T-W cable that looks similar in shape so be careful (BR-350). UGLY suckers at best.

Jim
n2deep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip on the t-warner remote. I looked through ebay yesterday and saw bunches of similar remotes but didn't see the Atlas.

It isn't the best looking remote but my wife loves the page up/page down keys while browsing through the cable guide. I wish more remotes had those keys...
Philips HDTV
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mill4 has page up and down keys, is also a 4 device remote (actually with a hidden fifth on most variants), and has an s3c8 chip instead of a 6805. FWIW, I don't know how you missed the atlas on ebay, I saw at least 4 or 5. Maybe it's your search method?

Jim
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
The Mill4 has page up and down keys, is also a 4 device remote (actually with a hidden fifth on most variants), and has an s3c8 chip instead of a 6805.
I take it you are implying that the Atlas uses a 6805 chip? I have not seen one, but according to Rob, it uses either an S3C8, or an entirely different CPU chip. In all probability, it's too new of a design to be using a 6805.
n2deep wrote:
It isn't the best looking remote but my wife loves the page up/page down keys while browsing through the cable guide. I wish more remotes had those keys...
One other consideration is that the Atlas (4-device) is not currently supported by JP1 tools. Whether it can be supported or not remains to be seen.

The Atlas DVR (5-device) is very similar in appearance to the 4-device Atlas. It has page up/down keys, uses an S3C8 CPU, has an EEPROM & JP1 connector, and it is supported by JP1 tools.
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not know if this is the JP1-compatible version of the Atlas or not, but I found an ebay auction (3 days left) link. For some reason it is listed as "Charter Universal 4 device remote control", but the picture is an Atlas. Here is the link.
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
I do not know if this is the JP1-compatible version of the Atlas or not...
This is the 4-device Atlas, which is not supported (yet). The 5-device has a DVD device button, and all the device buttons are elongated vertically. There is a small picture of it here.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually i considered getting one just to work on an rdf for it, assuming it is JP-1 capable. However, this sucker is so ugly I couldn't see wasting the money and high shipping charges just to do that for a remote I'd want to bury in the back yard afterwards.

"Charter" uses several different remotes including the Mill4 and atlas. Typically cable companies upgrade their boxes/service options and auction off lots of remotes they no longer use. Ebayer's pick up these at dirt cheap prices and sell them at "seemingly" low prices only to turn around and gouge like crazy on shipping. I think most are "banking" on the fact that many people lose or break a cable co. provided remote, and want to save paying the cable co. 40.00.

I saw one auction for a T-W remote with NO description at all. problem is T-W nationwide uses some 6 different remotes, and which one they issue depends on box issued, service, and locale. They wanted 20.00 (open) and 10.00 shipping.

I bought a lot of 24 Mill4's and shipping (UPS) was almost double what I paid for all 24 remotes. I am, however still looking for a B02, and an unyet indefined model that's much different than any of the other 3 variants I'm aware of. This one doesn't have the mult-macro keys like the others do (The keys are still there, they are just another three function keys, cable specific). The B02 doesn't support the 5th hidden device like the B00, B01, and B04. Naturally, I wouldn't know if this unyet determined version does or not, but I've been keeping tabs at ebay should another one pop up.

Jim
n2deep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't think about the mill4 - I think it's better for me and less ugly. I guess I'll just keep looking on ebay.

Thanks,
Steve
Philips HDTV
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comcast, T-W, and some others have used the Mill4. You can save yourself some searching thru over 2000 remotes by a search: Millenium 4, and check the boxes for both titles and descriptions. On an average day from 3-5 should pop up. Currently there should be just 3 if the search engine didn't miss any. There are search methods which lessen missed hits, but I can't reveal all my secrets.

Jim
n2deep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim. Thanks for the advice. I didn't find any remotes using Millenium 4 as the search in ebay. I checked in titles and descriptions. I don't want you to be giving away any secrets so if you can see one in there can you post a link to it for me.

Thanks,
Steve
Philips HDTV
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try "Millennium 4"... the proper spelling has 2 n's. Wink
n2deep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! Rolling Eyes That did it.

I found the lot of three m4 remotes. Unfortunately these ones must be modified from the one I've seen before as they don't have all the keys I was expecting.

I'll keep my eyes open for more.

Thanks again,
Steve
Philips HDTV
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n2deep wrote:
I found the lot of three m4 remotes. Unfortunately these ones must be modified from the one I've seen before as they don't have all the keys I was expecting.

Not true. There's a sliding door covering the buttons on the lower portion of the remote. You're supposed to slide this door open every time you want to use one of those buttons, but most people just remove the cover.
n2deep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... Now to try to find one (rather than three)

Steve
Philips HDTV
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Market Place All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: