JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IR repeater help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barchamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: IR repeater help Reply with quote

My main TV and all my components and my JP1'd 15-2116 are all in a loft area in my house. We recently got a projector, and we tried it out down stairs on a big, blank wall (had to take a big painting down temporarily). We love it! Image was 1080i from my Dish ViP622, and about 100". Amazing!

However, since all the components are upstairs, and the projector is downstairs, I couldn't control anything from there. What are my options for repeating the IR signal? Maybe I should have gotten a 15-2117 instead? Anyone want to trade my 15-2116 for their 15-2117? Smile
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to distribute the IR signal, I used this kit and generally like it alot:
http://www.smarthome.com/8165.html

I replaced the IR receiver with this one: http://www.speakercraft.com/#Products:209:IRC-2.0

For this to work for you, you'd need to have the receiver in a convenient location downstairs where it can see your IR remote commands. You also need to have the distribution block in a location where the emmiters connected to it can transmit the IR signal to the components.

I put the whole thing together for just over $150 (4 emitters). buy.com had a killer deal on the IR receiver.

Best,
jeff
barchamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! This is the JP1 forum here. We're playing around with $20 remotes. If I wanted to spend that kind of money, I would have gotten a Harmony or Pronto or something! Is it really that expensive to repeat an IR signal? Maybe I am better off switching my 15-2116 for a 15-2117!
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at a URC-9910? This would do it for you.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 15-1995 with the innards of a 2117. Bought that way from ebay. You can have it plus a RF basestation for $20 plus shipping. PM me
barchamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be the way I need to go. I started out with a 15-1994 a long time ago, and then moved up to a 15-2116. My family is really used to the feel and layout of that line of remote, so it might be a tough switch. However, I cannot find a 15-2117 (RF version of the 15-2116) anywhere, an dthe URC-9910 is plentiful, so I may just have to break down and try something new.

I'm assuming that the URC-9910 has a mature extender like the 15-2116?
barchamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
I have a 15-1995 with the innards of a 2117. Bought that way from ebay. You can have it plus a RF basestation for $20 plus shipping. PM me

So, I would use the 2117 extender instead of the 1995 one? But, don't they have different buttons?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barchamb wrote:
That might be the way I need to go. I started out with a 15-1994 a long time ago, and then moved up to a 15-2116. My family is really used to the feel and layout of that line of remote, so it might be a tough switch. However, I cannot find a 15-2117 (RF version of the 15-2116) anywhere, an dthe URC-9910 is plentiful, so I may just have to break down and try something new.

I'm assuming that the URC-9910 has a mature extender like the 15-2116?
It does. I use extended 9910s primarily in my HT.

I'm not sure that this will be of any immediate help, as I am in the process of moving from the UK to the US, but I have an unused 2117 with base station in a box at home. Unfortunately, i won't be able to get to it to ship it until October, so if you need this solution NOW NOW NOW, then I cannot help you, but if you can tough it out for a few weeks, I'll be able to help you out once I return the US.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barchamb wrote:
MaskedMan wrote:

So, I would use the 2117 extender instead of the 1995 one? But, don't they have different buttons?

The only thing that is 1995 about this remote is the button labels. You press the key labeled HOME THEATER, the display shows MYSYS, CD =VCR, TUNER =CD and so on.

My thought were you take the 2117 board out and put it in your 2116 case. to match up the label keys with display icons. And now you have RF remote.
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barchamb wrote:
Yikes! This is the JP1 forum here. We're playing around with $20 remotes. If I wanted to spend that kind of money, I would have gotten a Harmony or Pronto or something! Is it really that expensive to repeat an IR signal? Maybe I am better off switching my 15-2116 for a 15-2117!

If you want RELIABLE IR distribution, this is the only way to do it. If you equipment is in a glass-doored cabinent next to you TV, you can have issues with some piece of gear not quite seeing the signal. This way, each piece of gear always sees the signal.

Using a Harmony would have the same issues.
barchamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaskedMan wrote:
My thought were you take the 2117 board out and put it in your 2116 case. to match up the label keys with display icons. And now you have RF remote.

Duh. That's a great idea. I'll PM you...
bobshults2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try searching the internet for a Leapfrog IR remote extender LF-IRX. It should be in your price range.
barchamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobshults2 wrote:
Try searching the internet for a Leapfrog IR remote extender LF-IRX. It should be in your price range.

Much better. That would be what I am looking for. However, I think I'm going to go the 15-2117 or URC-9910 route, as then I won't have to have an IR receiver sitting downstairs somewhere in addition to the IR transmitter I'm now going to have to put upstairs.
barchamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
...I have an unused 2117 with base station in a box at home. Unfortunately, i won't be able to get to it to ship it until October, so if you need this solution NOW NOW NOW, then I cannot help you, but if you can tough it out for a few weeks, I'll be able to help you out once I return the US.

Thanks, but I already took Ed up on his offer.
barchamb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barchamb wrote:
Thanks, but I already took Ed up on his offer.

Ed, I received your 1995 with the 2117 guts today, put the 2117 guts in my 2116, uploaded my setup from IR, and everything works great! I can now control my stuff from downstairs! Thanks again...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: