JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Master Power button help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evanzoss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Master Power button help Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I got my first OFA remote (8820N) and I've been having fun putting on descrete on/off/input codes and making device button macros so that I can power on tv & amp, put them both on the right inputs, and power on the device all with one macro, all with discrete commands so there's no quirkiness with toggling.

So now what I need is for the power button to turn everything off, using
the discrete off codes, because the way it works is quirky to have it toggle
everything.

2 ways I've tried it, here are the problems I'm having, hoping someone with more experience can offer some ideas.

1st Making a simple macro for the power button for each device that sends all the discrete off commands.
Doesn't work because you can't create a normal macro for the power button on this remote, it has some goofy "Master Power Macro" thing.

The Master Power Macro goes when you hold down power for 2 seconds,
and it sends selected devices power commands. It's meant to toggle
everything on/off, but the way it works is quirky and sucks, I don't want
to use it like that.

2nd thing I tried then was to assign discrete off commands to each device's power button, then use the Master Power Macro.
This doesn't work because apparently if I have keymoved a discrete
power command onto the power button, holding it down no longer triggers
the master power macro.. so if I'm on any device with a modified power
button, then my master power macro can't even fire.

Hopefully that makes sense to someone and you have some ideas for me.
I can do this macro easily on another button, I would just really like to
have it on the power button.

btw, all this is so the relatives can understand quite simply:
Hold down DVD to watch a DVD, Hold down TV to watch TV, etc.. and
Hold down Power to turn it all off when you're done.

(trying to get them to remember to hold down +100 or something to
turn it all off just won't work)

I don't quite understand what JP1 offers beyond being able to add new
device codes that aren't on the remote.. would I be able to change the
behavior of the power button macro with it?

Thanks for the help yall.
evanzoss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 other thoughts:

1. Can you use 'key mover' to move macros from one key to another?

2. I think I can use 'learning' for the power buttons, so my fallback might be to get another learning remote, send the sequence of discrete off codes I want, and learn it back to each of my device power buttons.

think that would work?

thx again
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put your master power off macro on shift-power. Then power toggle still works normally for each device. To do this just press setup-power instead of power when you assign the macro button. To use it, just press setup-power. It's still on the power button so it's easy to remember that power toggles an individual device and shift-power turns off everything.
evanzoss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks. I didn't realize I could do that shifted key stuff with my remote, guess it's just an undocumented perk.

I'll give it a shot to play around, but I'm still not sure if the masses that use my AV equipment can handle set+power. Good tip though.

Thanks for the help.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend that you try it. At our house shift power was remembered by everybody immediately. And they like the increased convenience of operation.

Here at my desk, I have shift keys on the keyboard. The handheld calculator turns off by <shift> On. For most people, the concept of a shift key will be familiar.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with 3fg, the shift concept is not that odd. The 8811 has a recessed shift key that is located in the bottom corner so that's a little awkward.

Quote:
I don't quite understand what JP1 offers beyond being able to add new
device codes that aren't on the remote.. would I be able to change the
behavior of the power button macro with it?

One very obvious advantage is that you can SEE what you are programming. For me this was a huge imporovement.

One of the other nice things that JP1 offers is a hack called an extender. The extender for the 10820n will offer nested macros, device specific macros, lkps, pause and multiplexing. Of special interest to you would be the LKP. This is where a key can perform different operations depending on if it was pushed or pushed-and-held. Once I switched to extenders my remotes have been so intuitive that all the questions faded away.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a macro to create a "shift" button on any button on the remote without an extender.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6692

You have to select one that is not used in any device code. (or you are willing to sacrifice and dedicate to "shift") It will not act like the original shift key in that it will not put the remote into setup mode by holding it down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: