JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

need help making a txt for marantz dp870 and OFA9800
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:55 pm    Post subject: need help making a txt for marantz dp870 and OFA9800 Reply with quote

I am stuck , I am trying to create an upgrade code from a ccf file for my dp870 and a Mark Levinson 38s pre amp. I have tried to folow the instructions for Keymaper but no luck when I upload the ir file to my remote.

Would some expert be willing to help create the text file for keymap. I have the decoded ccf or the raw ccf for both devices.

The other odd thing is, I have learned some of the functions of the DP870 into my OFA 9800 , but I don't see anything when I download the remote into IR exe?
Thanks
david Rolling Eyes
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't see the learned signals on a 9800 unless you do the learning eeprom hack (hardware). Instructions in the files at yahoo.

where are you getting stuck with KM? On the setup sheet use the remote dropdown and select your remote. Pick a device type for your upgrade (whatever a marantz dp870 is?), pick a setup code number, whether you'll use efc or obc's. then the protocol, device, subdevice etc. Give the file a name, go to functions and type in the names and OBC's or EFC's as you already elected, switch to buttons sheet and assign the functions to actual buttons, go back to setup and COPY the device and if required protocol upgrades Km has in the appropriate boxes to IR>devices>add (and IR>protocol>add if needed), and upload. Don't forget to assign it to a device key on General.

If you don't do the P-8 learning chip hack, you won't be ale to use IR to decode all those keys you learned, so you might need to back-up and do that first, then worry about using KM.

Jim

Jim
usblipitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

james,

without the hack, can you still upload and download device upgrades into the remote? is the hack just to access learning information?

if so, get a $19 wal-mart 8810w to learn on.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The normal interface will allow device upgrades, keymoves and macros, just nothing with the learning eeprom. The addition of the hardware hack will allow what we can normally do with the learning portion of other remote's learning area. Remember, the eeprom dedicated solely to learning on this model is 2K and the remote has 6 keys. Typically you can learn about 28 signals rather than the ~24 or so on most other models (because about 1K is set aside for learning).
The hack is cheap, just a little time, wire, and the stereo interface jack. With the extender available now by Jason this remote isn't exactly shy on power. If I remember right, this remote is one of very few thatwill execute timed macros; ie leave it set on the coffee table and at a predetermined time a macro will execute which may come in handy for setting up auto-recording on a vcr, pvr, etc. Perhaps as a "security" measure to let "burglars" think someone is home watching tv. With X-10 other security type things could also be set up.

It'll learn almost twice as much as a stock 8810W so for the 3.00 or so for the hack it's well worth it.

Jim
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

usblipitor wrote:
is the hack just to access learning information?

Yes it adds a second JP1 connector (of stereo variety) for accessing the eeprom connected to the learning MCU

usblipitor wrote:
if so, get a $19 wal-mart 8810w to learn on.

If it's only I one shot deal, I think I'd get a Radio Shack learner. You can always return it when you're done. Steve, you don't own Tandy stock do you?
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a file at RC that has the DP-870 and here is how DecodeCCF decodes it:

RC5x:16.12:1 Off
RC5:16.:13 Mute
RC5x:16.12:2 On
RC5x:16.37:21 Test
RC5:16.:12 Power
RC5x:16.1:5 Optical
RC5x:16.1:4 Coaxial
RC5x:16.1:1 Bypass
RC5x:16.1:10 RF
RC5x:16.37:39 Vol +
RC5x:16.37:40 Vol -

And a cml file for the ML Preamp Model 38, decoded by cml2efc:

Mark Levinson <Pre-Amplifier> No. 38
(RECS80):7:11 EFC=140 1
(RECS80):7:28 EFC=046 2
(RECS80):7:27 EFC=142 3
(RECS80):7:13 EFC=076 4
(RECS80):7:29 EFC=078 5
(RECS80):7:25 EFC=206 6
(RECS80):7:12 EFC=044 Mode
(RECS80):7:10 EFC=108 Mono
(RECS80):7:9 EFC=204 Mute
(RECS80):7:24 EFC=174 Polarity
(RECS80):7:30 EFC=238 Volume -
(RECS80):7:14 EFC=236 Volume +

Now your job is to do a couple of devce upgrades Smile
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I should mention that there was this note regading the Marantz commands that I posted:

"These are the factory specified RC5 extention codes that operate the DP870. Note that the discrete on and off codes listed will not operate unless the rear panel switch is turned to external and the RC-5 jack on the rear is connected to another Marantz component RC5 jack."

Hopefully, since you have the equipment, this will make sense.
David1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon,
thanks for the reply, I have tried and for some reason I just can't make the upgrade work.

You were correct about the timed functions, I have never used them. The big draw for me of the 9800 is its RF capibilities.
The dp870 is an AC-3 processor and it is located with my sound gear in a second room without line of sight.

Do I do each upgrade as a seperate upload, each building on the previous?

Would I gain a lot of information from a download of the learned comands?

I also was under the idea that when I do a download of the 9800 using the jp1 I am getting the learned rom info, is that correct ? Or am I just getting the one rom ? If so is it different with a rs remote?

Can I send you my KM file and see if you can see something I am missing?
Thanks for the help
david
mr_d_p_gumby
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not Jon, but...
David1 wrote:
I also was under the idea that when I do a download of the 9800 using the jp1 I am getting the learned rom info, is that correct ? Or am I just getting the one rom ? If so is it different with a rs remote?
Unfortunately (for you), the URC-8800/URC-9800 is very unique in this respect. The learning keys are connected to a second processor and EEPROM, and the learned data is not available via the built-in JP1 connector. This is the reason for the hardware "hack" mentioned above: adding another connector to the second processor's EEPROM allows you to download the learned data.

If you don't feel like doing a hardware mod to your 9800, then practically any other learning JP1 remote currently sold by UEI or Radio Shack will provide this functionality out-of-the-box. (Yes, Steve, that includes the infamous URC-8810w at Wal-Mart too. Wink )
David1 wrote:
The big draw for me of the 9800 is its RF capibilities.
The dp870 is an AC-3 processor and it is located with my sound gear in a second room without line of sight.
The Radio Shack 15-2117 also has the RF link, and may be available cheap at the moment, if you can find one.
David1 wrote:
Do I do each upgrade as a seperate upload, each building on the previous?
Each upgrade is independent of any other upgrade, so I don't know what you mean by "building on the previous", unless you mean to say that each upgrade makes the remote more capable of controlling your equipment.
David1 wrote:
Would I gain a lot of information from a download of the learned comands?
Yes, if you were trying to build your own upgrade with KM or RM, then the download will usually tell you all you need to know. However, in this case, I think Jon has already given you the information you need.
David1 wrote:
Can I send you my KM file and see if you can see something I am missing?
You'd be better off by uploading your KM file to the diagnostics area at the Yahoo JP1 group and posting a message here. That way, Jon, or someone other than Jon, might be able to help you.
David1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the complete answer, I'll try putting the file in JP1 forum.
david
David1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the link to the files for review.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jp1/files/Diagnosis%20Area/kmandir.zip

I was not sure how this works , so sorry I am over posting. I also posted this as a new thread. I am a avs vet but new to your group and want to play by the rules.
thanks
david
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question.

You listed Off as: RC5x:16.12:1

I am guessing this means device 16, unit 12, obc 1

you have 16 listed in the 1st device field on page one of your KM sheet.

so why do you have "byte 2" as "2 12" on your functions sheet? your second device is 12, so this would send a signal of RC5x: 12.12:1

I may be way off base here, but try "byte 2" as "1 12" and see if it works.

Good Luck,
JP1Files
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the KM file and uploaded it back to the diagnostics folder HERE. Try it, I'm curious if it works Smile
David1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish that was it , but no luck.
could it be the remote?
usblipitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wouldn't happen to have a learning remote lying around would you? Such as a OFA8811w sold at wal-mart for $19?

With it you could learn the codes staight from the OEM remote, and then view them on the IR.exe learn tab. (you don't have a learn tab on your IR.exe because you are using an unmodified 9800 remote)

Another choice, instead of buying an 8810w would be to modify your 9800. See the instructions here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: