JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IS IT POSSIBLE TO RETIRE THE "SIMPLE" INTERFACE?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dreamzapper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite near me ( Norway), but anyway it is good to know that a reliable JP1 interface is available, even USB!
WeAreNotAlone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: IS IT POSSIBLE TO RETIRE THE "SIMPLE" INTERFAC Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
Recently I asked myself, "What if an interface could be designed that had the low cost of the Simple, and the performance of the Ultra?" Well, it can. I've just posted details at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4944.

RE: 2008-11-24 Above link is dead....

Is there a updated /revised (DIY) version of the interface talked about above??? and the link goes to a outdated (or unworkable) version?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall, that link provided a file showing how one could cost-effectively mass-produce updated versions of the "classic" JP1 serial and parallel interfaces (i.e. how to squeeze the maximum number of them onto a standard size of perf board, etc.). I'm not sure why Tommy might have removed this file, but I would imagine that the Parallel and Serial port JP1 designs are becoming more and more obsolete, as these ports appear on fewer and fewer computers.

There are, however, still Tommy's instructions for each of the individual interfaces:
(1) the Serial interface;
(2) the "Simple" parallel JP1 interface; and
(3) the "Ultra" version of the parallel interface.

It is hard, however, to imagine ANY computer today that does not have a USB port, so the USB interface instructions should serve the vast majority of potential users (yourself hopefully included) rather well.

All of the interfaces referenced and linked above are for the older "JP1" remotes. The newer JP1.2 and 1.3 remotes require a completely different interface (as does the short-lived JP1.1 family - which would require a custom tweak of the JP1.2/1.3 interface)

I believe that any interface sold by one of the vendors advertising on this site, like DIY, uses variations of the designs linked above.

Even BETTER imho are the USB interfaces (BOTH JP1 and JP1.2/1.3) that Tommy has designed, builds and sells himself. The designs for these have not been posted by Tommy, but these interfaces are sweet and look GREAT too.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: IS IT POSSIBLE TO RETIRE THE "SIMPLE" INTERFAC Reply with quote

WeAreNotAlone wrote:
Is there a updated /revised (DIY) version of the interface talked about above??? and the link goes to a outdated (or unworkable) version?

I've restored the file here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5975

But be aware that the doc is out of date, which is why Tommy deleted it.
WeAreNotAlone

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Capn Trips, Also many thanks to The Robman and Tommy for all your hard work !!!

Have some JP1 remotes I'm looking to put some new codes in them, hence the need for the JP1 interface since the mfg seems to have dropped support on the Kameleon product line.

Kameleon 8-in-1
URC-9960 (one-For-All_ 2nd generation?)
URC-6123 (RadioShack 15-2138) (2005 model, 1st generation?)

Need preferably a "wav file" for some US DTV Converter Tuners:
EchoStar TR-40CRA = CODE=2470
Zenith DTT901 = CODE=1415
Channel Master CM-7000 =CODE= 2365

Called the RadioShack "upgrade" CS line listed in the manual with the express purpose of adding codes via the dial-up upgrade process... alas at least thru Radio Shack no support options are available? Once the model # is typed in- message is played saying no options are available..

First time I call for upgrade codes, and no support...

Find the US based Kameleon website- and noticed that there is no contact number listed -site gives me the impression it's just a front for the marketing firm who handled the marketing of the device http://www.mykameleon.com/contact.html

Call the support numbers listed on URC /One-for-All themselves- each time the numbers going to nothing... Sort of get the impression the company changes the phone numbers on a regular basis????

As a suggestion to the mfg's of such "stuff"... when you stop supporting a product you should make available the "tools" that would have been used by tech support to generate those wav files...

Can't be done? I see the[b] European URC site allows such upgrades via the internet- type in the model number of remote and device you want to control, and a file is generated within seconds... http://www.oneforall.com/webwizard/index.htm

PS: While I understand "live" tech support not being offered due to labor costs, I don't think it would take too much effort to do something along the line of what the European website offers... (Computer generated file)

(Sorry for the Non-support rant- have many hundred dollars worth of URC mfg'd remotes that I can't use... and I see the European website does offer (as they should) downloadable updates..)
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to get too upset. You can easily make your own wav upgrade files with IR, make a JP1 simple interface for virtually nothing, or buy Tommy's JP1 USB cable.
WeAreNotAlone

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdavej wrote:
No need to get too upset. You can easily make your own wav upgrade files with IR, make a JP1 simple interface for virtually nothing, or buy Tommy's JP1 USB cable.

Yep, once I get $$ /make the interface hardware, learn yet another program / or program(s) (1-20 hours+/-???), learn all the in's and outs of such it shouldn't be much of a big deal Smile

I guess the point on the mfg rant- is that mfg's (on whatever product it is) should make available "computer-generated" support, modeling it along the lines of the European UEI/URC website. Type in the model number- Computer generates the needed file within seconds with NO human intervention.

(From a cost standpoint- AUTOMATING the upgrade process would save One-For-All money by reducing their support costs.-

It is only if the upgrade doesn't work customer calls via phone to talk to a real live person so automating the upgrade process is a WIN-WIN situation. )

In the case of these 'older" remotes- I would think it wouldn't take too much work on the mfg's part to add older products into the database with the computer generating the needed wav file as is currently being done on the European website. Cost to do such is virtually nil I would think-IF you weigh the cost of such against the repeat customers you'd gain.

(I'm sure you would agree that no-one "likes" to spend good money on something which especially is billed as being "upgradeable" a couple of years down the road find out it isn't. (via the mfg /conventional channels)

For "most" people (99%) that is going to be the experience for them. EG=products that are fully functional from a hardware standpoint are unless modified are un-usable. It is only that 1% that stumble upon JP1, and pursue it that the units remain usable...

Good news at least for this product line is that:

A: The hackers of the world figured out the JP1 Interface.
B: JP1 is a know quantity EG=most things about it are documented.
C: This EXCELLENT site is available for info on the subject.

EDIT: Just found a working phone # for One-For-All via the One-For-All website in the pdf user manual for the OFA URC-9960 that's still "working", unlike the previous numbers I've tried so I guess I'll call them Monday and see if they can e-mail the needed files for the EchoStar TR-40CRA, Zenith DTT901 DTV converter boxes... Hopefully they are able to generate the files for the URC-9960..., the RadioShack 15-6123 re-labeled URC-6123 being for sure a lost cause I'm sure- it being 3yrs old..

Do agree with what one poster said on Amazon in the review section (on another model 8910 , 9910 I think) that the upgrade process should be handled via the website, type in your model numbers and the wav file is E-mailed to you.... Like is done on the European support site...

Lonewolf

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering, why a 74HC266 and not a true RS-232 level shifter chip like a MAX3232 or MAX3381E ? I've built this type of cable before for router hacking and they're really simple: 1 chip and 4 caps. That's it, no resistors or diodes needed, and they put out true RS-232 voltages unlike either design posted here. Is there something I'm missing?

/LW
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are always eager to learn how to build a better interface, and we invite your contributions. Maybe you could post a schematic of a working design that uses a MAX chip.

Tommy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: