JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IS IT POSSIBLE TO RETIRE THE "SIMPLE" INTERFACE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: IS IT POSSIBLE TO RETIRE THE "SIMPLE" INTERFACE? Reply with quote

I've often thought my "Simple" interface turned out to be a Frankenstein's monster. Why do members keep buying and building them? They buy them because they are the least expensive sold, and they build them because almost anyone can who knows what a soldering iron is. It's not that we haven't offered better interface designs over the years. First, there was the "Ultra" model for the parallel port, which never achieved popularity. Then there was a design for the serial port that almost nobody even remembers. Both of those eliminated all the Simple's problems, but at the expense of a lot of components on a board. Suppliers couldn't sell them profitably, and few members were qualified to build one on their own.

Recently I asked myself, "What if an interface could be designed that had the low cost of the Simple, and the performance of the Ultra?" Well, it can. I've just posted details at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=5975. While at it, I realized that with a minor rearrangement of the parts, the same approach could be used for a JP1 serial interface, and a JP1.x interface, so all three are covered in the posting. The Serial and Ultra interfaces were reduced from 11 components to just four, and the parallel interface uses the same four. The old JP1.x interface was reduced from 17 components to just six! But one of the four (or six) components is an integrated circuit that isolates remote and PC signal voltages, the key to trouble-free performance.

There should be no reason any of these interfaces can't sell for the same price as the Simple. They are so easy to build that I thought of selling them myself, but I just don't have the time. I even offered an exclusive marketing oportunity to several individuals, but nobody was very excited. So I am publishing everything, schematics, parts lists with sources and prices, assembly drawings, printed ciruit artwork, manufacturing details and suggestions . . . the works. If there are any wannabe interface suppliers out there, this is "the book" that tells everything you need to know to start your own business.

Tommy

Last edited by Tommy Tyler on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
I've often thought my "Simple" interface turned out to be a Frankenstein's monster. Why do members keep buying and building them? They buy them because they are the least expensive sold, and they build them because almost anyone can who knows what a soldering iron is. It's not that we haven't offered better interface designs over the years. First, there was the "Ultra" model for the parallel port, which never achieved popularity. Then there was a design for the serial port that almost nobody even remembers. Both of those eliminated all the Simple's problems, but at the expense of a lot of components on a board. Suppliers couldn't sell them profitably, and few members were qualified to build one on their own.

Recently I asked myself, "What if an interface could be designed that had the low cost of the Simple, and the performance of the Ultra?" Well, it can. I've just posted details at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4944. While at it, I realized that with a minor rearrangement of the parts, the same approach could be used for a JP1 serial interface, and a JP1.x interface, so all three are covered in the posting. The Serial and Ultra interfaces were reduced from 11 components to just four, and the parallel interface uses the same four. The old JP1.x interface was reduced from 17 components to just six! But one of the four (or six) components is an integrated circuit that isolates remote and PC signal voltages, the key to trouble-free performance.

There should be no reason any of these interfaces can't sell for the same price as the Simple. They are so easy to build that I thought of selling them myself, but I just don't have the time. I even offered an exclusive marketing oportunity to several individuals, but nobody was very excited. So I am publishing everything, schematics, parts lists with sources and prices, assembly drawings, printed ciruit artwork, manufacturing details and suggestions . . . the works. If there are any wannabe interface suppliers out there, this is "the book" that tells everything you need to know to start your own business.

Tommy

As usual, a typical Tommy Tyler masterpiece!!! Wink

Thanks for all your efforts, Tommy!
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy, heavy praise to you Tommy Tyler; not only have you put so much effort into JP1/JP1.x interface development, design, implementation and dissemination, you also have a great flair for writing an instructional manual. Your Dremel table-saw trick is also praiseworthy; not because I haven't seen or done similar before but because of the way that you so clearly and succinctly describe it.

Just to annoy you, though, I'm in the process of building another "Simple" interface for a friend. Why? - because it works and I already have the parts lying around having bought a batch to build your excellent JP1.2 interface. And my employers were throwing out some printers with parallel cables.

Don't suppose there's a single IC out there, somewhere, that could have just a few of its pins used to create these interfaces? A few dollars (or pounds) would matter less to the home hobbyist if it meant less time soldering.
Evan_s

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive. While I don't have the skill or desire to become a builder for one of these I'd definitely want something like that if I was going to get some JP1 remotes. Jp1.x while it may lack some software features is totally reliable on the communication with the remote and I don't think I could deal with some of the things described by people with the simple jp1 parallel cable. I hope someone does decide to start making and selling these cables. I assume that no software changes will be needed to support any of these cables?
greenough1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did Tommy delete his post? It wasn't inappropriate in my opinion.

Best,
jeff
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea to actually quote Tommy's posts when replying to them, just in case they disappear.
lurk01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are anyone selling these newly designed ones yet?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on it.
rickgtx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Are JP1P and JP1S outdated? Reply with quote

More and more new laptops and some new desktops do not have parallel or serial ports. I wonder if JP1P and JP1S are already outdated.

Looks like the USB version of the JP1 may be the way to go.

I did some checking. The Integrated Circuit from Delcom Engineering, 802300, is suggested to be replaced with a newer version. Delcom wants a min $25 order or adds $5 plus shipping. The IC is still $8 and the usb min parts kit $3.60. I didn't fill out the rest to find shipping.

Anyone stockpiling IC chips?
lurk01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, Robman or whoever can build me a serial JP1 based on this simple new design, please PM me.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on getting Tommy's new designs manufactured, stay tuned.
lurk01

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do, thx for the reply - please keep us updated every now and again.
lurk01

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 wks later robdude. any news?
Dreamzapper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurk01 wrote:
2 wks later robdude. any news?

Still no news?
mdavej
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm mistaken, THIS is the JP1 Serial interface, now available at a www.txsat.net near you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: