JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Extinstall V2 final release
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham

will do. it was a pretty simple change when all was said and done. I'll document where it changed and let you know.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
I just built a new version that fixes this and sent it to Liz for testing.

I tested using the Atlas file with extender v2.10
As usual, setup codes became zeros, easy to change.
It swallowed the FAV list. Scan/Fav tab in IR looks good.

The only thing I wonder if might be an issue is the location of the default device macros (which I delete, since mine are ok). Might be better to put them in front of my macros or at the end, yes? no? See picture for details
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=9278

I did not push it into the remote but everything is as expected, i.e. file compare says the 2.11 file that works is identical to this conversion.

Bill, question to you - this new extinstall will not break the 8910 system, I hope. Will it be ok?

And thanks for your work. Extender 2.11 has been working fine. If I could only figure out the enable/disable thing, life would be perfect. It just ain't working like it should.

Edited:Not sure what IR is supposed to do while you edit the FAV list. The low nibble of the second byte is not changing as I add, or take away steps. Only the total length changes.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:

As usual, setup codes became zeros, easy to change.
It swallowed the FAV list. Scan/Fav tab in IR looks good.

The issue with the setup codes is a bit different and I'm not sure how to solve it. I should play tonight to see if I can get it to work and save the setup codes.

But right now, Extinstall is doing what it should since I have Zero setup codes built into the extender hex, and Extinstall is putting those zeros in where it knows it should. But when I take them out of the extender build the resulting IR file has bad setup codes. Thanks for reminding me that I should look at it since I've got the thing opened up anyway. (and have finally got my build environment back in working condition)

ElizabethD wrote:

The only thing I wonder if might be an issue is the location of the default device macros (which I delete, since mine are ok). Might be better to put them in front of my macros or at the end, yes? no?

This is much harder as Extinstall has no knowledge of macro or advance code priorities. All it does is read stuff from both files, merge them and then spit them back out. It really doesn't care what the contents of the advance area is and makes no decision on what should go where. I'm not sure I want to get into that.

ElizabethD wrote:

Bill, question to you - this new extinstall will not break the 8910 system, I hope. Will it be ok?

should be. The area of the code that processes AdvCodeFormat=Short was not changed

ElizabethD wrote:

And thanks for your work. Extender 2.11 has been working fine. If I could only figure out the enable/disable thing, life would be perfect. It just ain't working like it should.

send me an email and tell me what's going on with this. There are two ways to deactivate. One is to enable the long-press of setup (you have an OCAP so the long press can either toggle the backlight or deactivate) or set up a keymove onto a real key that will deactivate. (the included keymove is on a key that doesn't exist, but I wanted to have the keymove there so that you could reassign it).
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did find a link to the test extinstall, but wanted to note a problem I was having with the current extinstall. I have run exinstall on this computer ever since you wrote it, and the first time I tried to use it this winter, I got a 14001 message from IR stating the software was not installed. I had to go back and reinstall the MS C++ distribution pack before it would run. I don't know what caused that to unload, but did want to mention this incase it happens to someone else.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, I got 14001 as well, and did the new C++ installation, then it worked.
I attributed it to Windows reinstallation last March. I haven't used Extinstal since your 7800 extender I think.

Hmmm, now that I think of it harder, I did use Extinstal earlier this month for Atlas, but the previous version didn't make a peep about C++ missing. Also in August I used it to make the first Atlas extender and Comcast as well. So it might be something this version that requires a totally fresh, the newest, from MS.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Vicky, I got 14001 as well, and did the new C++ installation, then it worked.
I attributed it to Windows reinstallation last March. I haven't used Extinstal since your 7800 extender I think.

Hmmm, now that I think of it harder, I did use Extinstal earlier this month for Atlas, but the previous version didn't make a peep about C++ missing. Also in August I used it to make the first Atlas extender and Comcast as well. So it might be something this version that requires a totally fresh, the newest, from MS.

Hmm, as I said, I'm not using the new version, since I can't find the link in this thread. But I've used this computer for almost all my extender development and have used unclemilties extinstall for all the JP1.2 development. I haven't used extinstall on this computer since April but was totally surprised that I couldn't get it to work.

I'd like to be using the test version, since I'm having troubles with IR 8.03 when using extinstall on my comcast.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickyg2003 wrote:

Hmm, as I said, I'm not using the new version, since I can't find the link in this thread.

I'd like to be using the test version, since I'm having troubles with IR 8.03 when using extinstall on my comcast.

I haven't uploaded it yet here since I wanted to get some testing done and was trying to chase something else before I went live. It's in your mailbox.

The something else is that I've been trying to figure out why the setup codes and information haven't been saved. Turns out that I can't figure out how that would have EVER worked on any extender install, but I'm pretty sure that it did when I was using JP1 remotes.

The details:

When Extinstall finds that it's installing an extender (by checking to see if the hex file has checksums in it) it then goes and copies the data from the original remote into the extender. But there is absolutely NO code in there that copies the configuration area. It copies the advance codes, upgrades and comments. That's it.

I'm not sure that I can fix this since the remotes have different setup areas and the RDF doesn't describe the size of the setup area like it describes the upgrade, learn and advance block.

One other thing that I found when debugging this is that Extinstall can't differentiate between RDF's like IR and RM can. if they find multiple RDF's with the same signature, they will look at the fixed data to see if they have the right one. Extinstall just looks at the first one that it sees with the right signature.

Ultimately, I think this is going to be an issue some day, but until now it hasn't been.

I'm not sure that I'm going to fix either of these. Thoughts?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
1. zero setup codes is a totally minor issue, IMO. I mentioned it only to make a record. Don't bother chasing it. Perhaps it astarted when IR began checking if a setup code exists. Not sure.
2. RDF might be more serious. Perhaps a big, bold, red instruction someplace could say that you must remove from the RDF directory previous extender version RDFs, so that the one you supply in the distribution, copied over to the RDF directory, will be the only game in town. And don't chase that one either Smile
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the good news with the RDF issue is that there are really only two or three things that extinstall needs to look at and those really don't change between extender versions (adv code area, learn area, upgade area, where the signature is and the advance code format) other than that, things can move around and it won't care.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump: See main topic, new version uploaded to tools folder
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
RDF might be more serious. Perhaps a big, bold, red instruction someplace could say that you must remove from the RDF directory previous extender version RDFs, so that the one you supply in the distribution, copied over to the RDF directory, will be the only game in town.

This will not be a problem with the forthcoming RMIR version with ExtInstall. I have more work to do on it, but basically I have it working. If it finds multiple RDFs with the extender signature, it will ask, in just the same way that it asks with the main RDF. It will also not require a separate download of ExtInstall.jar (Greg's port of ExtInstall to Java) as the RemoteMaster.jar file will include the contents of ExtInstall.jar.

When I post it, as RMIR v2.01 Alpha 3, it will require extensive testing. I have only tested it with my own extender for the URC-7781. I haven't tested at all its use for merging in a .txt file that is not extender hex, as I don't really understand what it is supposed to do. But my hope is that any merge, extender or otherwise, that works with the command line ExtInstall.exe will work with the inbuilt RMIR version.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now posted RMIR v2.01 Alpha 3 with ExtInstall support. A description and a link to it are given here.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unclemiltie wrote:
The something else is that I've been trying to figure out why the setup codes and information haven't been saved. Turns out that I can't figure out how that would have EVER worked on any extender install, but I'm pretty sure that it did when I was using JP1 remotes.

The details:

When Extinstall finds that it's installing an extender (by checking to see if the hex file has checksums in it) it then goes and copies the data from the original remote into the extender. But there is absolutely NO code in there that copies the configuration area. It copies the advance codes, upgrades and comments. That's it.

I've just looked at the code for this and think you are missing something. It looks to me as if every byte that is both (a) outside the advanced code and upgrade areas of the extender, and (b) does not have a value given in the extender .hex file, is copied to the merged file.
ToBeFrank

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get the source for extinstall?
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ToBeFrank wrote:
Can I get the source for extinstall?

I don't think the C++ source code of ExtInstall.exe is posted, but the source code of the Java version is here. The exe file is used with IR.exe as an add-on, the Java version is built in to RemoteMaster (RMIR) as a library file. Both versions are functionally identical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: