JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Atlas Ocap cracking open

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Atlas Ocap cracking open Reply with quote

I picked up 25 "dirty" backlit Atlas OCAPS for $25 and found that half of them are 1056B03. If I had been paying more attention I would have known to make sure to ask for all 1056B01s.

I'd like to crack some of these babies open and harvest the pristine buttons for use with 1056B01s with discolored buttons.

Does anybody know what size torx screwdriver I need to do this? Or can't they be done at all?

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky,
I have both a 1056B01 and a B03. Neither has any screws. I opened both and the button sheets appear to be identical. In fact, the dimensions of the case, PCB, and the clear plastic LED light spreader plate seem to be the same for both versions. My B01 is dated October 2007, and the B03 is October 2010.

The cases have the typical UEI latches with the keypad part of the case fitting inside the bottom part.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a long time since I cracked open a case, but I distinctly remember removing a screw in the battery compartment. So when I saw this little hole with the star shape in the middle, I assumed it was a tiny torx screw.

Tip: When creating an upgrade, always include ALL functions from the oem remote, even if you never plan on assigning them to a button. Complete function lists makes an upgrade more helpful to others.
3FG
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that is a mold mark made when forming the case. It's true that lots of remotes have a screw to hold the two halves together securely, but the not-so-attractive shape of the Atlas makes it pretty stable without any screws.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3FG wrote:
I believe that is a mold mark made when forming the case. It's true that lots of remotes have a screw to hold the two halves together securely, but the not-so-attractive shape of the Atlas makes it pretty stable without any screws.

Right you are. It wasn't tight because of a screw, its just plain difficult to crack. Difficult to snap together too.

digital_silence

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a bit late in the topic, but will through in my 2cw anyway:
The nylon guitar pick works well for opening the snap-in cases.
You have to shove it into the gap between the halves and then run it sideways along that gap . Also, a good idea is to sharpen it first with the scalpel or fine sandpaper, so it goes in easily.
If you don't have a pick you can use the plastic ruler instead, but as those are made of PC not nylon, they can easily break... remember to sharpen to accute angle first.
Sorry if I come across as "Captain Obvious".
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always saved old credit cards and library cards for that purpose.
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked a 2" plastic putty knife but the new ones are too flexible. The old ones were more rigid.

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I have a couple of them too for just that reason, but they're a little thicker, so sometimes a credit card or AAA insurance card is better.

Last edited by The Robman on Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Barf
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finger nails! I keep my finger nails around 1.5mm (1/16 inch) long, and they make very good tools for opening plastic cases like remotes. For some reason, men often cut their nails much shorter than that, rendering then with a useful tool less. (Women in general have their nails too long, but for different reasons...)

Other than that, I'll second nylon guitar picks. I have used one that I picked up (sorry for the pun...) on an Alice Cooper concert several years ago.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I'm picturing Barf getting out the digital calipers every time he cuts his nails, lol. But yeah, I have pretty strong thumb nails that often get used for this sort of thing too.
xnappo
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! Guitar picks and old insurance cards for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: