JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another Yamaha Remote with JP1?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dazman61

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Another Yamaha Remote with JP1? Reply with quote

I noticed in a post last year that someone discovered what appeared to be a JP1 connector under the battery cover of a Yamaha RAV-352 remote. I've just purchased a new Yamaha RX-V2700. The main remote, A RAV-362 also has the six pins under the battery cover. On inspection with a magnifying glass I can see some pin numbering. The pin configuration appears to be JP1 standard. The only other label I can make out on the board, without tearing my new remote to pieces, appears to be the number "1006" or maybe even "I006". At the moment I only have a standard interface and attempts at communicating with the remote have failed. Is it worthwhile building a new JP1.x interface and trying again? Are there any other interfaces out there that would use the same, six pin configuration? I'm having a bit of trouble getting a decent photo, but I will try and upload something in the next few days.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet (without incurring the expense of buying/building a JP1.x interface) is to open up the remote and identify the processor labelling and then someone here will tell you if it matches what UEIC uses in their remotes.

There are very good descriptions by the great Tommy Tyler of how to safely take your remote apart gorgeously illustrated here, and if your remote's tabs are slightly different, here.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
dazman61

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, you're probably right. The best way is to open up the remote and read off the chip directly. I'll do some reading and decide whether to give it a shot. It's always a bit daunting cracking open a brand new unit.
unclemiltie
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Mine doesn't appear to be JP1 Reply with quote

I also got a remote with the tell-tale 6-pin header in the battery compartment (the RAV369 that comes with the RX-V3800)

I tried it with both JP1 and JP1.2/3 cables and don't get anything. I do not have a JP1.1 cable so can't give that a try. Both interfaces are Tommy's USB thumb interfaces, the JP1.3 is the flashing one, with pin 5 cut at the connector since I was having issues with some JP1.3 remotes.

On JP1 I get the remote is not responding. On JP1.3 I get that IR can't open the JP1 interface. Both cables checked out on other remotes just prior to trying.

So, unless it's a JP1.1 I don't think this is a go
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dazman61 and unclemiltie,

If either of you can ever do without one of those Yamaha remotes for a couple of weeks, mail it to me and I'll try to talk to it. PM me if you want mail address.

Tommy
ryanmc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy I have a rav356 (rx-v1600) i could send if youd like i dont use it very often so a few weeks or even more is no problem. if no one has sent one yet and you wanna try it let me know..
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryanmc sent me a Yamaha RAV356 remote for analysis. It's not one of the easier ones to open up. A couple of miniature Torx screws in the battery compartment and ten snap latches (four along each side in line with A---SLEEP buttons, the space between LCD and the + buttons, in line with left arrow---AUDIO buttons, and in line with YAMAHA logo), and two at front end close to each corner.

The double-sided PCB has five ICs on the back side, all in SOIC packages (no epoxy blobs):

(1) A 40-pin LCD driver chip marked:
PCF8566T
601938 29
YS605291

(2) The main processor, a 48-pin chip marked:
zi_si_041_v1
3139 227 3009.1

(3) A 32-pin unidentified chip (possibly a masked ROM) marked:
N529B
3C8OF 9BMB-S079
© UEIC 2005
JG732AN

(4) A 24C256 EEPROM

(5) An LM393 Quad OP Amp (probably used in the learning circuit).

The connections of the 6-pin connector are standard JP1, and this is definitely a JP1 type (EEPROM-based) remote.
The EEPROM has pins 1-4 grounded, so there's no fancy addressing going on. Pin 5 of the JP1 connector is connected to pin 25 of the main processor, which has to be the reset pin.

It acts like it sorta wants to download with IR, but I guess the lack of an RDF overwhelms it. At the start of download it first complains that the checksum is invalid. If you grab an EEPROM size it fumbles around with the hour glass for quite a while, then says no data found in the signature. Overriding that gives a complaint that the EEPROM size detected doesn't match the RDF I arbitrarily selected. It promises to ignore the RDF value and proceeds, then says there's a bad checksum at address $0000. Moving on, it says there's a conflict at fixed data address $0023 and asks if I want to replace existing with fixed data. "Sure" I say, and the red dot on the screen blinks twice like it completed the download satisfactorily. Usually, all the data bytes except the first one or two are "00".

I tried different EEPROM sizes and different RDFs in hopes of stumbling onto something it liked, but no luck. I don't know how you guys work with a new remote for which there is not yet an RDF.

This is about as far as I can go, unless someone has some suggestions or questions.

Tommy
Evan_s

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull all rdfs and do a raw download?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the EEPROM really is a 24C256 (32k) that's a massive EEPROM, much bigger than anything we've dealt with in the JP1 world before. Most of our remotes have either 1k (24C08) or 2k (24C16). The newer Kameleons have a 4k chip (24C32) and some people have installed 8k chips (24c64) in some remotes.

I know we had to change the read routines in IR in order for it to be able to read EEPROMs bigger than 2k, but do you know if a 32k chip needs anything different in order to be able to read it?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy,

In IR, check the Advanced>Enable Raw Download selection. This will give you a "Raw Download" button in IR, which will bypass any attempt to match an rdf. Then on the Raw Data page, it will at least display the remote's signature. You can also save that raw IR file like any other and post it for Rob (and others) to examine.

Of course, Rob's comments about IR not liking big EEPROMs may still make it difficult.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, binky told me about the raw download feature (a nice feature, too) and I tried it. It's still balking, but I haven't given up.

There is no mistake about it being a plainly marked 24C256. I also wondered what the heck they would put in such a gigantic EEPROM, especially since there is nothing that appears to be a "setup" button or its equivalent for controlling read/write. Whatever is in there, by hooking up the six pins to it, they must not be worried that it might get corrupted. At this point my curiosity has overtaken reason, and I am determined to read the contents one way or another. If anyone knows how to do a factory reset on this bad boy I'd like to know.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "setup" button on these OEM remotes is often activated by holding two buttons down simultaneously (the trick is knowing WHICH two buttons).

I may have to email Mark Pauker to see what he remembers about reading larger EEPROMs.

I will also try emailing UEI next week to see what info they are willing to share about this remote.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the RAV356 remote:

The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a Yamaha manual that details how you program this remote:
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/022/022RXV1600.PDF
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Setup codes are offset by 27.

Amazon Firestick
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: