JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ADB 7200c (HOT Digital Cable Israel)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbrew1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:49 am    Post subject: ADB 7200c (HOT Digital Cable Israel) Reply with quote

A couple of us from the slingmedia forum are looking for bin codes for the ADB 7200c digital cable box used by the cable company, HOT, in the Rehovot region of Israel. The other user has tried out the ADB 3100 codes posted here and they are not compatible with this cable box. I have also tried the ADB codes available on the latest update from slingbox (ABQ6642- under digital cable box; ABQ1Q5A, ABQ3H5A, Address 2, Address 3, Ican and other- under Satellite). Nothing has worked so far, and IR blasters are functioning, per digital camera test.

I have contacted several people about this, to no avail, so I turn to you, oh gurus of the IR signal world, for assistance. Any help would be greatly appreciated (including, if necessary, info about what sort of ADB boxes might use similar/compatible IR signals as the 7200c, because questions about this box have only led to dead ends).

I am leaving Israel for our home in the U.S. in a week and am trying to set up this slingbox for my homesick Israeli wife before I leave. Also bought a Sony location free tv, just in case the slingbox doesn't work (assuming I can return the loser of this head-to-head contest). So far, signal is great, but just can't change channels!

Thanks
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someboady has specific knowledge of your HOT box's IR signals (or a bloody good guess as to narrowing it down) the only sure-fire way to determine the IR codes you require is to Learn them to a learning remote and decode them, or capture them with a dedicated IR capture system and have them decoded. Options that will get you help most quickly in this forum:

(1) Get a learning UEI JP1 or JP1.2 remote control and a JP1 cable, learn the functions and download the remote's contents to IR.exe. Post the .ir file thus generated in the diagnosis area of this forum and provide a link to it, and someone will decode it and build the necessary Slingbox .bin file for you. Disadvantages include getting a new remote and JP1 cable, the time delay this will introduce, and the need to learn a little about the IR.exe program;

(2) Get (or borrow) a Pronto (older one that uses .ccf files) and learn the signals you want and post the Pronto's .ccf file as in the above case. Disadvantage is finding a Pronto;

(3) Build the relatively simple CaptureIR interface (look in the hardware forum for details), and using the free CaptureIR software capture and decode the signals from your OEM remote. Again post the decoded data and someone will build an upgrade for you Disadvantages are you have to build this interface yourself (but it's really simple) and downloading and learning how to use the CaptureIR program.

You could additionally install and read about Remotemaster (RM) and build the necessary upgrade yourself from whatever data you capture in the steps above - but perhaps you have neither the time nor the inclination to get that deep into it (pretty steep learning curve for which it seems you may not have time), so as I wrote above, someone can do that for you here as a one-off.

The key is capturing the OEM remote signals in a format that somebody here can use. The quickest path is likely option (3) - the CaptureIR one.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
jbrew1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, Capn, for the detailed reply. I checked out the hardware section and did some other searches about the CaptureIR device. It does sound like something that could be fun to get into, but it is certainly out of my skill set. I tend to get obsessed about these things and might end up throwing away the rest of my trip trying to get it going (and in the end, I am still not sure we will be able to achieve the upload speeds needed to get reasonable video from the Slingbox- just upgraded my in-laws' cable modem to 5mbps download and 500kbps upload, but looking at the picture, even while still in Israel, we are still getting lots of freezes- but that is a topic for another thread).

For the time being, I think I will have to let this go until someone with more IR skills encounters the same problem, or until Slingbox comes up with an upgrade that includes the ADB 7200c. We might just leave the darn thing on the Israeli Kids channel, since that is what my wife really wanted this thing for anyway... and we'll phone the in-laws whenever we want them to change the channel (time for an emoticon, but I am not a big fan of those).

I do have Sony's location-free TV sitting next to me unopened in the box (and that is supposed to have a learning remote), but I paid way too much for it and am hoping to return it on my way back through London. With the upload speed problem, I am not willing to invest too much in this.

Thanks again for the assistance.
binky123
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility is to open up the HOT box to get access to the IR sensor and hook wires from Vout and GND of the sensor to pins on the parallel port of a PC. So this way, you don't have to build any hardware and just have to tell CaptureIR software which parallel port pin you used.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand your situation correctly, you are installing a Slingbox in Israel that you intend to use from the USA, which is where you are permanently located. Where will the ADB remote end up? Will that stay in Israel or can you bring that back to the States with you? If you can, I would recommend that you buy yourself a JP1 learning remote and cable (I can sell you the pair for $39 shipped), then you will be able to capture the signals from the ADB remote. You would then be able to post this info so that we can use it to create an upgrade for you and as a bonus you will also have a great remote that you can use to work your gear at home.
jbrew1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob.

Appreciate your input. Have seen your other posts and I am a big fan. I was losing steam when I wrote that last post, but I later looked again at the procedure for learning the signals with the URC 8910 for uploading to slingbox, and it didn't look too bad. I looked on the web for purchases of the remote and cable that could be made in Israel (no time for shipping these to me, since I am leaving in less than a week), but no luck. I might see if I can borrow the ADB remote from the in-laws so I can follow your suggestion when I return to the U.S. (the cable box is on a TV they rarely use, so they might be willing to part with their remote temporarily). Will be in touch about that when I return- not that I want to discourage anybody from trying this sooner... but if nobody beats me to it, guess I will go after it when I get back, get over my jetlag, and catch up on my other work.

BTW, we are in the market for a universal remote, regardless of this, so I will probably be in touch about that. Got one for my parents at Christmas and they love it. We have remotes scattered around all over our living room (in addition to a new wireless keyboard, since we recently bought a NiveusMedia Ranier Media Center/HDDVD system). Will be good to just have one remote and one keyboard when this is all through.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just heard that CBL/1269 could be the right code, so here it is for you to try...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4319
jbrew1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rob.

Really excited to hear that! I am leaving Israel to return to the states tomorrow at 5am, and would be willing to stay up all night to get it uploaded to the slingbox before I go, though I think there may be some steps that I would need to learn first. Forgive my ignorance (I need to do some more reading), but is that file you linked to ready for uploading, or does it need to be converted to a .bin before uploading? I will try to do some homework and get the answer for myself, but thought I would post this as soon as I heard of this possibility, since time is running short before I leave the country (around 10 hours from now).

Jim
jbrew1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I read some forums and did a last ditch effort to add that remote to the Slingbox (by downloading RemoteMaster, opening up the above-referenced file, and creating the JU and PL bins). Got a lot of errors popping up on RemoteMaster when I did the export, but each export did create a 1KB file that looked correct (at least the names were as expected). Therefore, I took those files and stuck them in the SBAV folder, just to see if I might get lucky and have the slingbox take them. It didn't. Will have to work on this from the States, since I am leaving for the airport in 5 hours (that will make it a bit more difficult, because this slingbox has some quirks- like it will only allow about 7 attempts to download IR codes, before it decides not to accept any more).

If anybody gets the chance to take the above-referenced file (in Rob's March 5th post) and convert it into a slingbox bin file for IR Blaster version 4, Firmware version 1.0.10, it would be tremendously appreciated, because it appears that I am doing something incorrectly.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an RM file...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4322

And here's a PL binary file...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4323
jbrew1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a bunch, Rob

Sorry for the delay in responding. I got over the jetlag quickly, but the kids didn't, so I am still paying the price. I will upload the PL bin as soon as I have the in-laws cut and restore the power to the box, since I am getting that message that the slingbox cannot load the IR code, regardless of which code I try to upload. This happens regularly after I have tried to upload a number of different codes, and seems to be temporarily fixed by a hard reboot of the slingbox.

I will post again when I get the chance to try C1269 and let you know how it goes. I did borrow the remote for the ADB 7200C, so if this code doesn't work, I might be able to build one with the instructions on this site.

I appreciate all the help.
jbrew1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I thank you for the help so far, but I might be coming to you, Rob, for the JP1 remote, because the CBL1269 codes do not appear to work for this cable box after all. For my sling version, the PL file would not load, so I opened up your RMDU file and exported it as an RV bin file as well. That apparently allowed the file to be uploaded, but it did not control the player (I am several thousand miles away from the box right now, so I cannot be sure that the IR blasters are exactly as I left them, but when I left, they were in place and the digital camera test showed them to be functioning).

I think my next step will be to see if I can use my native IR sensors on my NiveusMedia Ranier computer to run CaptureIR (without building the sensor for the usual port). That might be totally naive, since I have not done the necessary background reading about CaptureIR yet, but we will see (or if anyone out there has info about that possibility, I would appreciate the post). I also have a USB IR sensor that came with my old Sony Vaio PCV-RX490TV; I wonder if there is any way that it could work to capture the needed signals from the remote that I borrowed for the ADB 7200C.
jbrew1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I think I have done enough background reading to know now that the techniques I described (using a USB IR sensor or using my built-in sensor on the NiveusMedia to capture IR signals) will not easily work with CaptureIR. Therefore, I am in the market for a learning remote that can speak with IR.exe. I was planning to get a universal remote anyway. Last Christmas, we bought an MX-650 Omega that worked well for my parents. Would such a remote work for learning the buttons on the borrowed ADB7200c remote, transfering them to IR.exe, then on to RM for exporting to a new Slingbox RV bin file?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jbrew1 wrote:
Last Christmas, we bought an MX-650 Omega that worked well for my parents. Would such a remote work for learning the buttons on the borrowed ADB7200c remote, transfering them to IR.exe, then on to RM for exporting to a new Slingbox RV bin file?

Nope, you'll need to use a JP1 compatible remote, which limits you to remotes made and designed by UEI (and typically sold under the "One For All" brand name).

I can hook you up with a URC-8910 learning remote for $20, plus $4 shipping. I'm out of the $15 parallel cables, but you could try getting one from DIYgadget.com. If you need the USB version instead, I have those at $35 each.
jbrew1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, Rob.
Let me know how I can make this purchase from you. Might be more complicated because I have avoided setting up a PayPal account thus far and am still trying to avoid doing that (horror stories from a friend, though I am sure it is rare). Feel free to email me at the address I used to register. How long will it take to get here? Trying to get the borrowed remote back to the owners as soon as possible, so it might be best for me to try to pick these items up at a local store, even if it costs me a good bit more. (however, if I the cord is hard to find, I might be waiting for shipping from DIYgadget anyway, so might as well wait for both items). Do you know if either cord is fairly available at "brick and mortar" stores?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: