JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Two dreamboxes stack - how to control them
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
koutroullosm

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Two dreamboxes stack - how to control them Reply with quote

Is there any way to have two same devices above each other with their infrared receiver very close to each other and be able to control both with either with their original remote controls (by using a device that will be attached on the remote control and the receiver of the one box and encode/decode the infrared signal) or by using a universal remote control.

The problem is that both boxes are very close and the remote control transmits to both.

Please note that I will use infrared extenders and I will need to be able to control them also to control them from other rooms.
damir

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there is a way, but with JP1 programming.

Fourth post in this thread:
http://sat-industry.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18408
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That post by Starpox that you linked to is very detailed, but I doubt a beginner at this stuff would understand it.

I think maybe some overview would help, so I'll try to provide that. I hope it helps explain what Starpox wrote, otherwise ignore it.

It's not what Koutroullosm asked for; It's better.
Koutroullosm asked for a way to use some sort of IR relaying system so the two devices could continue to use their original code set, but the relaying system would prevent each from seeing the commands intended for the other. That is certainly possible, but fairly complicated and expensive. It is usually done with high end universal remotes that send coded RF signals that are translated back to IR by a device near the devices being controlled. That solution also addresses use from other rooms so you don't also need an infrared exender.

Instead the solution offered changes one of the two Dreambox devices to respond to a different set of signals. It also changes one or both of the original remotes so that remote has the ability to send either set of signals, with a special keypress to switch the remote between sets of signals.

That approach is much cheaper and probably much simpler (assuming there is no problem transfering the rcdm7000.xml from the dreambox to your PC and back. I don't know enough about dreamboxes to have a clue about such things).

It doesn't directly address the issue of use from another room, but you could use any infrared extender, without any worries about the dreamboxes being too close to each other, because they would use different sets of IR signals.

An alternative is to switch from the dreambox remotes to URC-9910 remotes. (Rob is out of stock at the moment but may have them again soon at $40 each). Those could be programmed by JP1 or by wav file to the same two code sets that starpox's eeprom images program into the dreambox remotes. The URC-9910's have the infrared extenders built in, which means you can use either 9910 anywhere within its RF range, not just in rooms that have an IR receiver for a seperate IR extender system. (With the 9910 remotes you still need to modify one Dreambox as Starpox described. You just don't need the seperate IR extender for use from multiple rooms). And if you buy the 9910's from Rob, he'll probably be willing to preload Starpox's files into the 9910s, so you wouldn't need a JP1 cable nor need to figure out how to use it.
damir

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That post by Starpox that you linked to is very detailed, but I doubt a beginner at this stuff would understand it.

Two guys in linked thread understood, even though they were beginners and French Smile
so English isn't their native language and neither is mine (starpox is my nick on Sat Industry Forums).

Quote:
That approach is much cheaper and probably much simpler (assuming there is no problem transfering the rcdm7000.xml from the dreambox to your PC and back. I don't know enough about dreamboxes to have a clue about such things).

That's not a problem, the only thing required is a FTP client.
redmick

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Finding and using a DM500s file Reply with quote

All i read through a previous 500s file which sorta confused me.
I was hoping with the right direction i might get somewhere with my little project.
I have a DM7000 controlled by a URC-39730 B00-00 which from what i can find is a V2. As some of you would know it has a JP1 connector (yee haa)
I also have a DM500s controlled by (Not sure if any means anything)
RC-33005B01
IC01-13200-192
A024901
This does not have a JP1 connector.
What i was hoping to do was use the 7000 remote for both.
I have got to the stage of being able to read the 7000 and save the default file which no doubt the same as the rdf file.
What i cant seem to understand is how do i get the signals or functions from the 500 remote to be able to program it so when i select the tv button the appropriate button will work.
Any help would be appriciated.
Cheers
Redmick
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) The presence or absense of a JP1 connector in the DM500S remote is immaterial if you are trying to modify the DM7000 remote.
(2) If you can communicate with your DM7000 remote in IR, then you obviously have a working cable. When you download FROM the remote, IR.exe will automatically select the correct rdf to use.
(3) There is a Dreambox 500S file in the file section. When you say that you "read through" it, what does that mean? You have to open this file using the RemoteMaster program and modify it to work with you DM7000 remote.
(4) Once you have modified the DM 500S upgrade as you desire in RM, you transfer the upgrade information from RM into IR and upload that to your DM 7000 remote.

All of this is described in the various beginners' Read Me documents.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
redmick

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cap thanks for the reply i did a search initially for the DM500s and the only thing that cam up was one thread which spent more time on excel and not posting a file i got confused.
Thats what i meant by read through sorry poor grammar.
Us Aussies are like that.
Yep cable works and just in case the file was different i downloaded the oem off the remote in case i stuff it up (more than likely)
Sorry until you dropped the link in for the file i did not see the links to the files section up the top.
Be nice its my birthday and i am but a poor dumb convict haha
Thanks
Redmick
redmick

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opening that file gives me the selected protocol is pid 01 6C is not compatible wit the selected remote
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not smart enough to understand what's going on in RM when you open that file, but it appears to be an upgrade made for an 8811, and when I open it, I also get that alert. You can, however, after opening it with those errors, change the remote to YOUR remote, and it appears to "like" the protocol. So you have nothing to lose by trying it (until a REAL expert steps in to explain what's up.)

Another quetion, however. Does the 500 respond to the regular DM7000 remote commands? I'm asking because usually, similar components from a single manufacturer use the same remote control commands, so I would expect that the 500 might respond to the 7000 commands even without an upgrade, potentially creating a problem for you with BOTH boxes responding to a single command. In that case, you probably need to find out if one of the boxes can be set to an alternate remote address.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
redmick

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn
Yep i kept playing and i no longer get the error i was following one of the posts and was cutting and pasting.
My first go killed the remote so nothing happened so i reloaded the original file.Told ya i could stuff it up.
After seeing i could not kill it keep trying.
I got my modified file working the original part but not the second box on the TV button.
The second part of your question has hit the nail on the head Yes the Dm500 responds to most not all of the Dm7000 commands.
There is a file i think i have to put in the DM500 and try it.
The bit im a bit hazy on is how the commands work.
For me to tell the Exit button to send the exit command what is different to that command compared to any other exit command?
So if i am still programming exit to exit and then put a file in the box what makes that command different to the DM700 command ???
I hope that makes sense.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a small bug in RM that prevents opening DM500-S.rmdu correctly. I'll have a fix to RM available shortly, but in the meantime you can work around the problem by manually modifying the file in a text editor, such as Notepad. All you have to do is change the line
Code:
Protocol.name=PID 01 6c
to
Code:
Protocol.name=PID 01 6C

The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If both boxes respond to the same set of signals (with minor exceptions) then your lesser problem is adding the missing DM500 signals (read them from one of the two DM500 upgrades and create keymoves to create them).

Getting your boxes to respond UNIQUELY to a single set of signals and have no overlap is your harder problem. The only post I saw addresing this issue is HERE which links to a thread (and links to a zip archive) that apparently solves this problem for multiple Dreamboxes. I haven't studied it, but give it a look and see if it provides you with any insights.

Apparently the key is setting up one of the Dreamboxes to respond to an ALTERNATE signal set:
Quote:
Second we need to change IR codes on which will dreambox react.

Download rcdm7000.xml from /share/tuxbox/enigma/resources to your PC,
open it in UNIX aware text editor like UltraEdit and replace whole keys section
with content of keys.section.of.rcdm7000.xml from zip archive.
Save rcdm7000.xml and copy it to /var/tuxbox/config/enigma/resources.

Restart dreambox and it will respond only to IR signals sent by reprogrammed remote.
I don't know what any of that means since I don't have a Dreambox, but maybe it'ss work for you.

Amazon Firestick
redmick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So correct me if i am wrong but if i understand this correctly i need to do the following.
My dm500 rmdu file only needs the device address changed for all signals?
That way the control signals are not changed just the device address so if i change that and then am able to change the device address in the dream i will be ok.
If this is right can the xml file being placed in the dream be read to see what the device address is chaged to?
Is there someone or something that explains the remotemaster fields.
Also can i get my ir file that i have sved from the remote back into an rmdu file to look at it and try and understand it better?
Sorry for all the questions but i only get the afternoons on weekends to spend time on this.
Cheers
Redmick
redmick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking i found that file not named the same but that could be due to a different image used on my box (they are linux based)
This is the keys section.It does not make much sense to me but others might be able to follow it.

- <keys>
<key name="0" code="00" picture="key.0" />
<key name="1" code="01" picture="key.1" />
<key name="2" code="02" picture="key.2" />
<key name="3" code="03" picture="key.3" />
<key name="4" code="04" picture="key.4" />
<key name="5" code="05" picture="key.5" />
<key name="6" code="06" picture="key.6" />
<key name="7" code="07" picture="key.7" />
<key name="8" code="08" picture="key.8" />
<key name="9" code="09" picture="key.9" />
<key name="volup" code="0a" />
<key name="voldown" code="0b" />
<key name="tv" code="44" picture="key.15" />
<key name="bouqup" code="0d" />
<key name="bouqdown" code="0e" />
<key name="power" code="0f" />
<key name="menu" code="20" picture="key.32" />
<key name="up" code="21" />
<key name="down" code="22" />
<key name="left" code="23" />
<key name="right" code="24" />
<key name="ok" code="25" />
<key name="audio" code="26" picture="key.10" />
<key name="video" code="27" picture="key.11" />
<key name="info" code="28" picture="key.12" />
<key name="shift_red" code="30" />
<key name="shift_green" code="31" />
<key name="shift_yellow" code="32" />
<key name="shift_blue" code="33" />
<key name="record" code="35" />
<key name="red" code="40" picture="key.17" />
<key name="green" code="41" picture="key.18" />
<key name="yellow" code="42" picture="key.19" />
<key name="blue" code="43" picture="key.20" />
<key name="mute" code="0c" picture="key.31" />
<key name="text" code="45" picture="key.22" />
<key name="next" code="50" picture="key.25" />
<key name="prev" code="51" picture="key.24" />
<key name="LAME" code="54" picture="key.21" />
<key name="radio" code="53" picture="key.16" />
<key name="help" code="52" picture="key.23" />
<key name="discrete_off" code="b4" />
<key name="discrete_on" code="e8" />

So are the signal only 2 bytes each (if that is how you say it)?????
[/code]

Last edited by redmick on Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
redmick

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the more i study and paste things the more it seems to become clearer.
The zip file had the same file but each code had changed the first byte of the command and when opening the v2 ir file you look at the two different codes 1267 has the original codes and when selecting 1238 i see it matches the file in the zip file.
I hope this all makes sense and also might help someone else eventually if i do work it out.
I will get a chance to try this tomorrow hopefully
Cheers
Redmick
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: