JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Check Interface problem on 8910
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: Check Interface problem on 8910 Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm brand new so please be gentle Smile
I am having trouble getting the Check Interface to pass.
I bought a "like new" 8910 (B01) from DealTree off fleabay.
I bought a parallel jp1 cable (JP1 Simple Cable) from diy.
The remote itself seems to be working, but I keep getting no response from remote during the Check Interface test. (Windows XP)
I have tried all the suggestions in the "Problems using the simple parallel cable? Read this." sticky.
New batteries, old batteries, no batteries, reverse a battery, paper-clip, reverse jp1 plug, transmission delay, restarting ir (v. 620) everytime.
Tried a second pc. (Windows 98 )
I have done the mfr reset.
"Shorted" out pins 2 and 11 on the parallel port, receive "no response" from ir. (which, I believe, indicates the port is functioning)

Could the jp1 "parts" of the remote be bad while everything else on the remote seems to work?
Could the cable be bad (seems unlikely since I am getting different responses when reversing the jp1 plug)?
Is there some way to test that the jp1 components of the remote are functional?

Thanks,

timmer
just4fn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In IR do you have the proper interface checked? Its either parallel, serial or usb. It ls located at the top under interface and a drop down box is exposed to check one.

hope the helps,

Just4fn
timmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have parallel checked, using port 378.
I even checked that device in device manager, it reads 378.

Thank for the advice,

timmer
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the simple parallel to work is sometimes difficult. I had to label all of my remotes with a number, so that I remember which ones alway have to have the batteries out, which need them in. Which one needs fresh batteries, which one I need to push and hold a button after the batteries are out. It varies by remote, even though I have lots of remotes of the same type.

Are you sure you have the cord plugged in right side up? I've got several models of JP1 remotes, and the plugs vary in orientation. So far if I can read the word JP1 then I know where the top is. I know there is also a notch in the box by pin 1, but I can't see well enough to tell that.

Have you checked the transmission delay?

Have you rebooted the machine?

Do you have admin rights?
timmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vickig2003,

Thanks for the advice, I will probably try all the tricks again tonight.
I have tried transmission delay, 250, 750, 1600.
I haven't tried to reboot the machine though.
Admin rights, I would assume I do have them.
How do you check that on XP?

What button(s) do you push when the batteries are out?
So you are saying you have to hold a button when you are doing a Check Interface or uploading/downloading to/from the remote?
I tried pushing buttons on the remote when the plug was plugged in, but nothing would happen on the remote until I removed the plug.

I will probably double check that the parallel port is set up in BIOS, but again, I shorted pins 2 and 11 on the port itself and got "No response from remote. ...", which to me was one step "better" than the other error message I would get when I had the plug in the remote the other way (180 degrees), which said something like "Make sure the device is connected ..." or something like that.

Thanks,

timmer
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, with one of my 8811's after I take the batteries out, I have to press a button on the keypad BEFORE I actually connect it to the cable. I guess this somehow lowers the charge enough to get it recognized by the parallel port.

As far as telling if you have admin rights, I right click on the [my computer] icon on the desktop,
click on manage
click on local users and groups
click on local users
right click on your user name
click on properties
check to see if you are a member of administrators group.

I did read a post about admin privledges being required, when I was trying to trouble shoot my USB connection.

Do make sure you check the batteries with the plug oriented each way.
timmer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks vickig2003, I'll give the button push a try.

What do you mean "check the batteries"?

timmer
vickyg2003
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By check the batteries, I meant try ALL the configurations. Batteries in, batteries out, weak and strong. The simple parallel interface is very, very sensitive to the battery charge.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This must vary by PC also, because even though I've told people about the battery tricks a million times, I've never had to actually follow my own advice. I've always been able to connect to the remote both with and without batteries in it on my PC.

Now, JP1.x is a different story as you definitely need batteries in those remotes, and I have fooled myself into thinking I have had problems before with those!
dragonflyjelly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Check Interface problem on 8910 Reply with quote

timmer wrote:
Hello,

I'm brand new so please be gentle Smile
I am having trouble getting the Check Interface to pass.
I bought a "like new" 8910 (B01) from DealTree off fleabay.
I bought a parallel jp1 cable (JP1 Simple Cable) from diy.
The remote itself seems to be working, but I keep getting no response from remote during the Check Interface test. (Windows XP)
I have tried all the suggestions in the "Problems using the simple parallel cable? Read this." sticky.
New batteries, old batteries, no batteries, reverse a battery, paper-clip, reverse jp1 plug, transmission delay, restarting ir (v. 620) everytime.
Tried a second pc. (Windows 98 )
I have done the mfr reset.
"Shorted" out pins 2 and 11 on the parallel port, receive "no response" from ir. (which, I believe, indicates the port is functioning)

Could the jp1 "parts" of the remote be bad while everything else on the remote seems to work?
Could the cable be bad (seems unlikely since I am getting different responses when reversing the jp1 plug)?
Is there some way to test that the jp1 components of the remote are functional?

Thanks,

timmer

I came accross your post while searching for the solution to the same exact problem. I registered specifically to share my experience in solving this problem.

I have received the JP1 cable from a Canadian seller on ebay today. However, my 8910 remote can't be detected. Tried all the battery tricks,push button, BIOS, changed to EPP/SPP,DMA enabled/disaled, all for naught.

Then it occured to me to open up the parallel interface. It turns out that the first wire that was supposed to be soldered to the PCB broke loose. After fixing it with a soldering iron, the 8910 remote can now be detected by IR.exe.

Hope this helps.
pikoo3d4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Simple JP1 cable doesn't work with URC-9910 remote Reply with quote

I just bought a JP1 simple cable from:
http://www.diygadget.com/store/jp1/jp1-x-for-remote-controls/jp1-simple-cable/prod_7.html

I have a One-for-All URC-9910 remote.

I am using IR (6.20) and getting following error from "check interface":

"No response from interface. Make sure that interface ..."

Do you know what am I doing wrong?

I tried following without success:

1. I tried desktop and laptop both.

2. Went to control panel - > system -> Device Manager -> Ports -> ECP Printer port -> Properties -> Port Settings and checked box "Enable legacy Plug and Play detection"
- as suggested by one person in the forum.

3. I tried all the port numbers listed in the popup. How can I find the parallel port's port number?

4. In the following instruction:

http://www.diygadget.com/images/jp1...imgfeed_007.jpg

they showed the cable long end is away from the remote. Actually I tried both directions.

5. I tried all possible combinations of the battery.

6. I 'master reset' the remote as suggested by another forum member. Now all my settings are gone. If the cable does not work, I need to reprogram it.

7. I tried older version of IR, like 5.05.

Your help will be really appreciated.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had IO problems on parallel ports on one or more of my laptops and used a tool called Allowio to handle the interface I/O.

Download it here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4367

Usage : AllowIO <executable.exe> <Hex Addresse(s)> <Switches>

In your example that would translate to: Allowio ir.exe 378

This can be used in a batch file so you don't have to type it every time.

You can get more detail if you search the internet for and download a package called Porttalk or Allowio
mackado

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to start a new thread I'm using this one since I'm having the same communication problem with my 8910 (b02) and have try all the suggestions listed here.(I even used two different PCs)

My parallel cable (purchased a few years ago )is working fine in this (and my newer Dell) PC using my old 8800 producer.

But after reading this thread I opened up my DB25 connector to check in there anyways, and after comparing with the DIY plans posted around here for the 'simple interface' I noticed that pin number 17 was also bridged by the builder in my connector, while the plans only bridged pins 18 -> 25.

Could this design difference be the cause of my problems with this 8910 unit??

Other than this, I think I'm giving up on this remote..

Crying or Very sad
mackado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mackado wrote:
Not wanting to start a new thread I'm using this one since I'm having the same communication problem with my 8910 (b02) and have try all the suggestions listed here.(I even used two different PCs)

My parallel cable (purchased a few years ago )is working fine in this (and my newer Dell) PC using my old 8800 producer.

But after reading this thread I opened up my DB25 connector to check in there anyways, and after comparing with the DIY plans posted around here for the 'simple interface' I noticed that pin number 17 was also bridged by the builder of my connector, while the plans only calls for bridging pins 18 -> 25.

Could this design difference be the cause of my problems with this 8910 unit??

Other than this, I think I'm giving up on this remote..

Crying or Very sad

For those that might run into the same problem...

I went ahead and detached pin 17 leaving only pins 18-> 25 bridged exactly as the instructions call for.

I'm happy to report that I'm able to communicate with my 8910 now, in my case I need to use fresh batteries and re-boot the remote every time (removing the batteries) before uploading from IR.

Since this cable worked fine before with my 8800 I never bothered to look under the hood, anyone having similar problem should double check the cable for this mistake, If I had done so sooner my remote would be ready by now. Laughing
dtitzer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my 8910, 9910, and simple parallel cable (DIY job), I found it necessary to lay my remote face-down. Every time I put it face-up, the batteries start to fall out and a small gap forms, breaking the circuit. No other way I can explain what happens. I'm lothe to pry at the springs to make the connections tighter because I tend to break things off when I do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: