JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Best implementation of a mixed RC5/RC6 Upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joedaring

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Best implementation of a mixed RC5/RC6 Upgrade Reply with quote

Hi again!
I'm still working on the upgrade to allow command of my new TV, which is a Philips LCD TV Mod. 32PF9731D/10, with an OFA Kam8 9960 B01 Smile

The initial troubles that prevented my RC6 upgrade to work correctly have all been discussed and addressed in another thread
(http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7315),
and I want to say again thank you to all the experts that have contributed toward a happy end...

Now I've built the basic RC6 upgrade to command this TV, and it works, but now I'm facing another hurdle... This new TV is definitely proving to be quite a challenge, and NOT only for the wallet! Wink

As I noted in the same thread referenced above, I've found some useful discrete codes for my TV buried in this Pronto .PCF file, and would like to add them to the upgrade for later use in macros. http://www.pronto.philips.com/library/downloads/2004-05%20TV%20Discrete%20Codes.zip

I've been able to decode all the discretes in that .pcf file and built a list of all those functions and, of course I want to add them to the upgrade...

Here is where a problem surfaces: They are NOT RC6 Device 0, like all the other commands in the basic upgrade I built (After learning some keys from the original remote and decoding them in IR...): They are RC5 Device 3 and some RC5 Device 0, for good measure!

So, now I have:
The basic upgrade, which is RC6 Dev. 0
Some 25 Discretes, that are RC5 Dev. 3
Some 4 Discretes that are RC5 Dev. 0

I've done my homeworks, and found this post about another Philips TV using mixed RC6 and RC5 protocols:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7105
I understand you suggested to use external functions to fill the gaps...
This is difficult for me right now, because I'm already out of Keymoves memory, and I understand that external functions can be implemented as keymoves only...

Unfortunately, I have both the upgrade for my HT Receiver that has a lot of Shift keys and the upgrade for my DVD recorder which is in similar situation... Rob and Capn Trips suggested to split the upgrades that have a lot of shifts into two different upgrades (one for normal functions and the other for the shifted functions), then use the Device Multiplexor or Device Toggler to assemble them onto the same device key...

Unfortunately, I have found that I can't use the Device Toggler/Multiplexor with my remote, the 9960 B01, because it is not supported by these two special protocols, nor is an extender available (Yet! Wink ) to optimize memory useage of this remote.

So, apart for using two completely different device keys for the two (normal and shifted) upgrades, I've no cure for this keymoves' memory starvation...

Then I read this recent thread about a W.I.P. RC5/RC6 Protocol PID0184:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7293
And I wonder: is this RC5/RC6 protocol the best solution for my TV upgrade? Is this protocol already in my remote? If it isn't, can add it externally?

If worse comes to worst, I'll try to free some keymoves' space and go with the external functions but, then, should I add an RC5 Dev. 0 + Dev. 3 Upgrade, or there is already something in my remote that can be used as a source for these external functions?

Also, if I remember well, the RC5 protocol allows use for up to 3 different devices, each with half the available OBC range... to use the full OBC range, it is necessary to use two of the available devices' slots and this leaves only half of the OBC range for the second device... it goes without saying that I have commands in the upper AND lower OBC range for both 3 and 0 devices, and this would make it 4 total device slots needed... is there a solution to this?

Well, it's all for now, and I hope I haven't made too much confusion here, and that you have time to drop me a hint or two about which is the best way to go...

My best regards and thanks in advance...

Ciao! Joe
joedaring

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhmmm...
I guess that, this time, my question doesn't stimulate enough the ones that know better! Wink

Well, I can't complain, since I had my share of your time getting hep for my other problem...

OK... should I wait for the mixed RC5/RC6 protocol to be implemented in RM, instead of looking for alternate solutions?

Any advice is welcome... thanks...

Ciao, Joe
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe there is an "RC5/RC6 Combo" protocol available for use anywhere, so it's not a case of simply waiting for RM to add support for it. Therefore, your best option is to use the Device Combiner, which is a selectable protocol in both RM and KM.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think pid 0184 is the correct combo.

I'm sorry I haven't made any progress toward protocols.ini support for it since starting that other thread. I still hope to do so soon.
irs009

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnsfine, in this linked thread You, Robman, and Greg helped me build an upgrade using PID 0184 on an 8910.

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6465

Here is a link to the KM upgrade:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3851

Jack
joedaring

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all...
Well... tanks for your replies, guys!

Quote:
I don't believe there is an "RC5/RC6 Combo" protocol available for use anywhere. ... Therefore, your best option is to use the Device Combiner, which is a selectable protocol in both RM and KM.

Rob, thanks a lot for this hint... I'll be trying it soon... It will be a good suurrogate of the actual combo RC5/RC6 protocol that Johnsfine is promising Wink to address soon...

Quote:
I think pid 0184 is the correct combo.
I'm sorry I haven't made any progress toward protocols.ini support for it since starting that other thread. I still hope to do so soon.

Ok John... so the protocol I need is (well... WILL be! Wink ) the new version of the 0184 protocol... no problem! I can wait, especially if there are workarounds, and Rob just pointed me at one of these...

And, BTW, discretes are useful mostly for macros, and I can't use many macros because of low mem situation... I'm afraid I'll need the extender before actually using more macros...

Apart that making JP1ers' lives hard, is there any special reason the Philips engineers decided to implement handful of codes with a protocol different from the main one?

Oh well!

Quote:
Johnsfine, in this linked thread You, Robman, and Greg helped me build an upgrade using PID 0184 on an 8910.

Irs009, thanks a lot for the head-up... I'll be studdying the thread you link an d see if that can be of any use to me...

Thanks again... keep up the good work!
Joe
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the update I just wrote to the thread at
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=50440#50440

I think the version of 0184 in the 9960 is supported as the older of the two versions in protocols.ini (the one you get if you don't edit the rdf file).
joedaring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John...

Thanks for the follow-up to my message...
Please, I need some more help with this...

When you say:
Quote:
I think the version of 0184 in the 9960 is supported as the older of the two versions in protocols.ini (the one you get if you don't edit the rdf file).

You are referring to this edit, aren't you?
Quote:
Near the bottom is a line that says
002D, 002F, 0034, 003F, 0045, 0046, 0058, 005A, 005C, 005D,
change it to say
002D, 002F, 0034, 003F, 0045, 0046, 0058:2, 005A, 005C, 005D,

... I believe you don't mean the other suggested edit of the DigitMaps Section of the remote, right?

I'm sure it is a dumb question but, after the recent experiences, I will always double-check before doing any change to the RDFs Wink

Also, I'm trying this right now in RM 1.69 and there is something strange going on with RM user interface...

After I replaced the protocol.ini file, the "ComboRC5/RC6" protocol appeared in the drop-down list...
The problem is that, when I try to click on the "Functions" tab, then either:
1-Nothing happens...
2-The Functions tab just turns blue and the table below it doesn't appear...
3-If I click like a crazy (!) in the place that SHOULD be occupied by the function's table, a table OCCASIONALLY appears, but it doesn't have any selection for the RC5 or RC6 protocols... it shows only "NAME EFC EFC5 OBC HEX NOTES" columns...

Changing the remote to something else doesn't help, so it shouldn't be remote-related...

I realize that this protocol support is still embryonal and needs to be refined... no problem

How can I help with diagnostic info?

Thanks a lot!
Have a good weekend!
Joe
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joedaring wrote:

You are referring to this edit, aren't you?

Sorry about the confusion. I didn't mean any edit that was already done. I meant that you don't need to do any additional edit for 0184. On remotes such as the 8820 (and newer) you need to make an edit to 0184 similar to the edit the 9960B01 needed for 0058.

joedaring wrote:

Also, I'm trying this right now in RM 1.69 and there is something strange going on with RM user interface...

I don't have time today to investigate. The remotemaster.err file contains info that would tell Greg what is going wrong. Maybe he'll have time to fix it before I do. Maybe I'll have time on Sunday.

Edit: I had time for one quick look and found and fixed a small typo, that might have been the cause. Try again with
http://john.fine.home.comcast.net/ir/protocols.ini

I changed the line that said
CmdParmInit=PickInitializer(1,0,N1)
to
CmdParmInit=PickInitializer(3,0,N1)

I don't have Sourceforge access today to fix it there.
joedaring

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John!
Your quick look was enough, at least for the problem with RM's user interface when the RC5/RC6 Combo protocol was selected: with the new "protocol.ini" everything is fine and I'm assembling my upgrade including the discretes that use RC5... I'll let you know how it goes.

BTW... the discretes I have are some with Dev.0 (Just one or two) and some Dev.3 (Some 25 codes)...

With this RC5/RC6 Combo protocol I can choose to use up to two RC6 Devices (I actually need ONE, so this is fine!) but what about RC5? Can I freely use both device 0 and 3 by entering them into the Dev5 column in the Functions table? Hope so!

or the time being, thanks a lot for your close following of this thread too Smile

Have a nice sunday!

Joe
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use as many RC5 device numbers as you like.
joedaring

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi john and all,
posted this before, but didn't show in the thread, so I try again...

So, last night I assembled an upgrade for my Philips LCD TV using the new RC5/RC6 combo Protocol to include some of the discretes I've found...

Sorry to report it doesn't work! Sad
I just hope I didn't do anything stupid... and if I did, please bear with me: it was late! Smile

One thing I noticed is that the EFC5 column reports "strange" numbers, completely different from, as an example, the EFC5 numbers I get when using the same OBCs in the specialized RC6 upgrade I already have for the TV.

I'm sure OBCs and EFC5s in the RC6 upgrade are OK, and also I'm sure the C5 discretes are OK since I tested them one by one...

I have upload a zip file in the diagnosys area, in case you want to have a look at what I did:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3852
It contains the RM upgrade and the IR file I loaded it into before uploading everything to the remote... hopefully notes will be embedded this time Wink, if this is of ay help...

No hurry, of course, I just hope you can peek at it whenever you feel like doing so...

Enjoy your sunday!

Ciao, Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: