JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Westinghouse LVM-42w2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
milanbagel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Westinghouse LVM-42w2 Reply with quote

Tried everything that came with my URC-8910 without sucess. Here is the template info:

1. Device model#: Westinghouse LVM-42w2
2. 42' LCD TV Monitor
3.Year: 2006
4.UEI: URC-8910
5.JPI Cable?: No but is on order
6. I have original remote
7. Checked file section-No info
8. Checked Pronto-No info.
9. I can use learning feature to make L1 turn monitor on and off.
10: Need code; My cable remote works with 0111 but the URC-8910 says not available.

Any experience out there?

Milan Roselle, IL
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Westinghouse LVM-42w2 Reply with quote

milanbagel wrote:
1. Device model#: Westinghouse LVM-42w2

7. Checked file section-No info
There's nothing for your specific model but there is a file for an LVM-32x1 that might just provide a starting point. It uses the NEC1 protocol with Device=1. According to the devices.xls spreadsheet, that's the same as TV/0717 which is in the 8910. Have you tried that setup code?

Quote:
9. I can use learning feature to make L1 turn monitor on and off.
Once you get your JP1 cable you can then look at those learned signals in IR to see how they decode.

Quote:
My cable remote works with 0111 but the URC-8910 says not available.
What model cable box is that?
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Tv code 0000 a try.
milanbagel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: LVM-42w2 Reply with quote

The cable box is a Motorola DCT-3416. The Comcast remote (no mod. number that I can see) works on the monitor using 0111. The 0717 code doesn't work
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you see your Comcast remote here?
http://www.comcast.com/remotes/
milanbagel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Comcast remote is the 3 in 1 dVR device.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the Comcast remotes I've ever seen had some indication of which company made them, usually on the front, but maybe on the back and mabe inside the battery cover.

Most of the ones I've seen were AT&T, some UEI, and two other brands (that I've forgotten at the moment).

Hopefully one of the other experts knows whether UEI put a setup code offset in the Comcast models. But you may be able to deduce that yourself, see below.

If you have a Comcast remote and there is no offset, then TV/0111 is a setup code for Sony TV's. That's a bit surprising for a "Westinghouse". Sony doesn't cross-brand much. A device using Sony IR signals is almost always Sony brand.

The basic setup code for Sony TV's is 0000 (Edmund's suggestion above). Most Sony TV setup codes are mostly the same, so if TV/0111 works in one UEI remote then TV/0000 ought to mostly work in another.

Similarly TV/0000 is a good way to identify rebranded UEI remotes and to find the setup code offset, if you have a setup code list for your remote. USA models of UEI remote almost certainly contain TV/0000. If there is a setup code offset it won't be 0000, but it will be the lowest numbered setup code.

Check the instructions for your Comcast remote. Look up Sony TV in those instructions. What is the lowest setup code number for a Sony TV? Do any other brands have any setup codes with lower numbers?

Edit: While I was typing above, you answered Rob:

milanbagel wrote:
Rob, Comcast remote is the 3 in 1 dVR device.

Do you mean the "Comcast DVR 3-Device" on Rob's list?

That has Sony TV setup codes 0000 and 0111, which would answer my questions in this post, so Edmund is correct that TV/0000 in the 8910 is nearly perfect. If a few buttons are missing or wrong in TV/0000, we can tell you how to fix those.
milanbagel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Gents: Well, it looks like 0000 actually does work. Directionality makes a big difference. The spatial relationship between the remote and the monitor is very critical. I will have to live with it. Thanks for the help.

Just as a sidelight, I guess this Westinghouse monitor is manufactured by Sony since it uses the same codes?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Check the position of the IR LED in the 8910. It should stick through the hole in the case a little, into the dent in the end of the case (that protects the LED if the remote is bumped on the end without blocking the IR).
I think I read that some people have found the LED was bent (so it doesn't stick out of the hole) so much of the IR is blocked inside the case. If so, get the instructions for opening the 8910 case so you can fix that.

2) Check the batteries in thr 8910. It should have a strong signal, so it should work over a wide range of distances and angles.
milanbagel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The batteries are new. All check 1.5V plus. I opened the remote and pushed the LED as far forward as possible. No effect on performance. The Comcast remote is also spacially sensitive with the TV Monitor. Both work fine on the cable box. Finally, the remote that come with the monitor works in any position and room location. Could there be a higher power LED in it? This is driving me buggy! I see that Radio Shack sell a high power IR LED p/n 276-143. Is it worth trying to change it out?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what "high power" means in an IR LED, but having read many spec sheets, I have a couple guesses, either of which would mean it wouldn't help:

1) Best guess: "high power" is total BS and there is no difference between that and an ordinary IR LED.

2) 2'nd best guess: "high power" means it has the same IR ouput per unit of current that you put through it, but it has better thermal capacity, so you can put a high current through it for longer without cooking it. So you could design a new remote based on it and design for higher current. But an existing remote wouldn't have higher current through such an LED.

You also shouldn't assume that the original LED in the 8910 wasn't high power.

LED's also have different voltages. You need one designed for the same voltage as the original. The remote is designed for fairly stable current through the LED across a moderate range of voltages, but it is nothing like a theoretical current source. A higher voltage LED would get less current and be much weaker (or maybe off entirely). A lower voltage LED would burn out.
MaskedMan
Tivo Expert

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be link to westinghouse site that gave a bunch of codes for different remotes, but all codes were the Sony code in those respective remotes.

There are westinghouse models that don't respond to the sony code, and no other preset codes in oem remotes like tivo peanut & white dtv remotes.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the learned signals have the same problem?

I see you mentioned L1 earlier. You aren't limited to learning on just the L1 to L4 buttons. You can learn on almost any button.

I'm not suggesting that as a solution, just for investigation.

Maybe they did something strange like using the Sony signal structure but a different modulation frequency. A learned signal would duplicate the original frequency. TV/0000 or TV/0111 would have the nominal Sony frequency.

Recently I've been reading the spec sheets on a bunch of IR sensors. I don't know if I'm understanding them correctly, but they seem to indicate that each 10% delta in frequency cuts the maximum range in half (20% cuts it to 1/4, 30% to 1/8). Similarly if the remote is 25 degrees away from straight out from the sensor that cuts range in half (but that one is nonlinear: 50 degrees cuts to below 1/4).

The range is also cut (in a way that varies a lot by model of IR LED) by how many degrees off the amining of the remote is from directly at the IR sensor.

Multiply together a few of those decreases in range and you might not have much range left.

Of course I don't know how well the real word fits those specs.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on the road at the moment, so I can't check anything, but I started wtih 0000 and had the same "spatial" problem. Look for my post on the Westinghouse 32W1 to get the other code set that works a lot better
milanbagel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked through the two 32W1 postings but couldn't find anything on the spatial issue.

Just to reiterate, the remote that came with the Westinghouse monitor works in any position and at any distance. The URC-8910 and the Comcast remote, both have this spatial problem but it's only there when used on the TV monitor. Both work as expected on the cable box.

A final comment; this lack of sensitivity exhibits itself on all TV modes i.e. volume adjustments also require a specific physical position too. Finally, I'm now convinced it isn't an IR LED power out issue since the problem exists even with the remote(s) only 24" from the monitor iR input.

I can see that all of you are well experienced in working with remotes. My 70 year old brain is having trouble handling all of this incoming data. I really appreciate your assistance and am convinced that someone will come up with a solution!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: