JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Code(s) for Sony RDR-VX500
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cpu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Code(s) for Sony RDR-VX500 Reply with quote

Hi,
I will be much obliged if someone can please post the code for the above Sony DVD Recorder/VCR combo. I understand the official OFA DVD code is 1431/1432/1433.

1. Device: Sony RDR-VX500
2. Type of device: DVD Recorder/VCR combo
3. Year: No idea
4. UEI Remote model: OFA 8910
5. Do you have a JP1 cable? Yes
6. Still have original remote? No
7. Checked the file section? Yes
8. Checked Pronto file section (at R/C)? Yes, link: http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/files/rcfiles.cgi?kw=RDR-VX500
9. Partially working setup code? No
10. Learning remote question? No original remote

I think that the Sony combo unit above is a common source of worry for many of us - as very few remotes can handle it right out of the box !

I will appreciate any help/pointers.

Thanks in advance,
Roy.
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you probably know this. But, if you can find a device upgrade for another model Sony DVDR/VCR combo, it should work.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to look at this for you, but unfortunately, the Pronto file that you linked to is actually a PCF file (for the ProntoNeo) rather than a regular CCF file. While we have tools to look at CCF files, we don't have tools for PCF files.

I also checked my files and I don't have any info on the 1431-3 DVD codes.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
unfortunately, the Pronto file that you linked to is actually a PCF file (for the ProntoNeo) rather than a regular CCF file. While we have tools to look at CCF files, we don't have tools for PCF files.

Rob, How much info do you need?

We do have tools to look at PCF files, it is just a much more tedious process than DecodeCCF. We can use ProntoEditNG together with IrTool.

For example, the power button in that PCF is Sony20: 26.235 OBC=21

Do you need the whole list or is it close enough to other Sony devices to identify from that?

Power at least matches the expected code set at
http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/Sony_vdcombo.htm

Roy, there seem to be three different code sets for this kind of Sony device. The OBC numbers are the same; Only the subdevice number is different. So if you start with one of the posted upgrades for a Sony DVD/VCR you should change the subdevice number to 235. If your unit really matches that PCF file, using subdevice 235 should make the upgrade work. If that doesn't work, try each of the other two subdevice values (from the link to Sony codes above) in case your unit doesn't really match that PCF.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
Rob, How much info do you need?

We do have tools to look at PCF files, it is just a much more tedious process than DecodeCCF. We can use ProntoEditNG together with IrTool.

I can't install NeoEDIT at work, so I am not able to get ANY info on the signals at present. The original post states that this device is "problematic", so I assumed from that that it wouldn't match the regular code set.

johnsfine wrote:
For example, the power button in that PCF is Sony20: 26.235 OBC=21

Do you need the whole list or is it close enough to other Sony devices to identify from that?

Power at least matches the expected code set at
http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/Sony_vdcombo.htm

That's enough to tell me that it does use the standard code set, but that it's set to "unit code 3", which is probably the reason that it's "problematic"
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpu- If you have an 8910, you can use it to learn the codes from the factory remote. Then, download to IR, and copy the codes into a new RemoteMaster file. Volia! You've created your own JP1 device upgrade file!

But, first make sure both your DVDR/VCR and the factory remote are both set to remote address 1 (Sony may call it AV1 or Unit code 1). The instructions for that are in your Sony manual. Oddly, Sony often sets their stuff to AV2, and apparently from the above post AV3, at the factory.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Code(s) for Sony RDR-VX500 Reply with quote

garypen wrote:
cpu- If you have an 8910, you can use it to learn the codes from the factory remote.

But, first make sure both your DVDR/VCR and the factory remote are both set to remote address 1 (Sony may call it AV1 or Unit code 1). The instructions for that are in your Sony manual. Oddly, Sony often sets their stuff to AV2, and apparently from the above post AV3, at the factory.

cpu wrote:

4. UEI Remote model: OFA 8910

6. Still have original remote? No

He can't do any of the original remote stuff if he doesn't have it.

As for AV1 vs. AV2 vs AV3, I don't know whether that terminology or the mechanism for changing (the remote address) is generic across types of Sony device or is specific to some other kind of Sony device (not this combo).

Roy should only worry about changing that (which of the three subdevices codes his device is listening for) if he wants to use some non upgradeable universal remote. With a JP1 remote, you should make the remote send what the device expects, not make the device accept what the remote sends.
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always best to start at a baseline, which in the case of Sony gear, would be AV1. At least that's how I prefer things.

OTOH, the pronto file above appears to be set for AV3. In either case, the unit would have to be changed.

Might I suggest that he tries the generic Sony DVD/VCR combo device file loacted at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=693

Yes. It's not for a recorder. But, he may find that it works fine. But, I assume it is coded for AV1. So, it's best to have the unit set to that as well.
cpu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Partial Success Reply with quote

Hi all,
Thanks everyone who came forward with suggestions and pointers.

As of now, I have partial success with the 8910, and the following explains what I did:
1. I took the SONY DVD/VCR combo file at hifi-remotes and changed the subcode to 235 (26.235), just as suggested by 'johnsfine' and 'robman'
2. Now, a sizeable number of buttons are working (incl. the numbers, ch up/dn, and the play controls and power).
3. However, even after some effort, I couldn't get the MENU button to work. Unfortunately, the MENU button is the single most important button on the RDR-VX500 that needs to work properly, to get anything out of this unit.
4. This tells me that we are CLOSE to having a fully functional remote with unit code 3, but we just need a little more effort.
5. I have contacted UEI c/s multiple times throughout the day, however, they couldnot upgrade the 8910 - even though we tried with a mix of different phones and connections.

I am a newbie in the JP1 area (though a pro otherwise), so I think we have achieved a lot. We just need a little effort from the 'gurus' to crack it totally.

BTW, I am in Toronto - if there is someone locally who can lend me a factory remote/working remote, I can try to learn the codes and feed it back to the forum - that way we can try to attack it from a different angle.

Best of luck and thanks a lot,
Roy.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Partial Success Reply with quote

cpu wrote:
3. However, even after some effort, I couldn't get the MENU button to work. Unfortunately, the MENU button is the single most important button on the RDR-VX500 that needs to work properly, to get anything out of this unit.

The MENU button is supposedly OBC 35, which is what's listed in that upgrade file. There's also TOP MENU (for the DVD) which is OBC 34 (and is listed as "program guide" in the upgrade file.

If you've tried every function that's listed in the upgrade file and none of them work the MENU function, you can try all the OBCs that are *not* included in the upgrade file. Sony protocols support OBCs 0 thru 127, so there's not that many to test, especially if you eliminate all the functions that you've already tested.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice in that list of codes at http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/Sony_vdcombo.htm that Menu is OBC 35 and "Top Menu" is OBC 34. Which do you want and which did you try?

The fastest way to resolve this may be to build load and test a few upgrades covering every OBC number from 0 to 127.

It shouldn't take too long to test all of those buttons, especially for a function as distinctive as Menu. Once you know the right OBC number you can tell us.

If you're using KM (rather than RM) you need to make sure KM is in the right mode to let you input OBC rather than EFC. EFC for this protocol is confusing.
cpu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Menu Button Reply with quote

Hi,
I have tried with obc=35 for the MENU button, and that didn't work. However, obc=34 (INFO) button is working perfectly. I am really wondering if I am doing something stupid, as the other buttons(see my prev.post today) seem to work fine.
In fact, I was not even aware that there are only 127 obc's. Seems quite doable. Just to check, I am entering the obc's in the 'Function' sheet of KM 9.05, hope that's the right way ?
Thanks guys for all your help - it is most appreciated.
-Roy.
rhm5757
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also System Menu at OBC 77.

I'm missing a few codes from the DVD/VCR code set also, specific to the recorders. I know they exist on remotes out there but I don't know the OBCs.
cpu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Remote now working Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks a lot to all of you who provided help and advice, and also to those who didn't :wink:
OBC 77 was THE key I was looking for (MENU key).
The remote is now operational, for all practical purposes - however, there still are a few keys that don't work, or are mis-labelled - however, they are mostly inconsequential.
Thanks again, guys, and keep up the good work.

Roy.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Remote now working Reply with quote

cpu wrote:
- however, there still are a few keys that don't work, or are mis-labelled - however, they are mostly inconsequential.
Uhhh...if you are using an upgrade that YOU created or modified, the functions are on precisely the keys to which YOU mapped them. Why don't you correct any mismatches in your KM (or RM) file?

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Code Search (Closed) All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: