JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony hi fi VCR Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jborn

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Sony hi fi VCR Repair Reply with quote

I have a sony VCR that has been sitting around for a few years with a busted gear. As I was playing with my remote I noticed this section and would love to fix this VCR.

Without digging it up yet, my memory of the problem is one gear is busted. What information do I need in order to identify said gear and then order a replacement?

Thanks,

jb
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I need the VCR model number. I have all the manuals and bulletins from being an authorized Sony servicer for 25 years. Then I need a general description of where it is located. (on the bottom, connected to a guide arm; in the lift mechanism; on the top by the pinch roller, etc)

Once I know the model number, I will have an idea of common breakage items also.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the time, it is a lot cheaper to throw it away and buy a new one. Especially when the broken one is a few years old. They are a dime a dozen on ebay....
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this is one of the "H" series chassis (and you have no way of knowing that designation) then it is a basically indestructible machine with only about 3 failure modes. All common and repairable with cheap parts that were also redesigned to improve the original functions.

If it is a Sanyo or Funai chassis then repair is debatable.

One thing to remember is that all VCRs built after 2000 will respond to the CPRM flag and refuse to copy anything flagged as "Copy Never" (or "Copy Once" if the source is a TIVO or Cable Box) so a good VCR from the 1995 - 2000 era is worth keeping.
e.axel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts are cheap, but repair labor @ $50/hr or so (or some ridiculous flat fee) is not!
jborn

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't expect so much activity on this thread. I loved that VCR. I kept it because I always figured I'd come back and fix it one day.

I'll grab a model number as soon as I un bury it from my workbench.

Thanks for the interest.

jb
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

e.axel wrote:
Parts are cheap, but repair labor @ $50/hr or so (or some ridiculous flat fee) is not!
Yeah, but it sounds like the OP is planning to effect the repairs himself.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
120240VAC60HZ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: How do you determine if its a sanyo or Funai Chassis? Reply with quote

I also have an older Sony VCR Model SLV-N71 is there any way to determine if it one of the good ones? and not a Sayno or Funai Chassis? Thanks
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you determine if its a sanyo or Funai Chassis? Reply with quote

110220Volts wrote:
I also have an older Sony VCR Model SLV-N71 is there any way to determine if it one of the good ones? and not a Sayno or Funai Chassis? Thanks
This was one of the first series of exchange models. They did not write a service manual and supplied no parts at all. The only parts available are from similar trashed units. The N50, 70, 90 had parts and manuals. The 51, 71, 91 were considered unrepairable. They were sold side-by-side for the same price. Surprised At least the Sanyo and Funai's had parts and manuals available.

If it works it's OK but most repairs will be impossible.
Markh32

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Sony SLV595HF Reply with quote

The gear in question on mine is the one that sits under the arm that pulls the tape over to the pinch roller. It drives the arm, and there is the problem: when I got it, the arm had stuck, and a few teeth were ground right off that gear, Oddly, the gear that drives that gear seems to be OK. If I could get a part #, hopefully I can get it for a decent price. It seems like a nice VCR, and too many of my old VCRs are failing. I have a nice Mitsubishi with a loading arm trouble. Looking at it, I'm not sure how it ever worked. Just doesn't look like it would work, under any load. And the SVHS capability seems to have failed.

- Mark
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sony SLV595HF Reply with quote

Markh32 wrote:
The gear in question on mine is the one that sits under the arm that pulls the tape over to the pinch roller. It drives the arm, and there is the problem: when I got it, the arm had stuck, and a few teeth were ground right off that gear, Oddly, the gear that drives that gear seems to be OK. If I could get a part #, hopefully I can get it for a decent price. It seems like a nice VCR, and too many of my old VCRs are failing. I have a nice Mitsubishi with a loading arm trouble. Looking at it, I'm not sure how it ever worked. Just doesn't look like it would work, under any load. And the SVHS capability seems to have failed.

- Mark
I'll double check the manual (tomorrow), but I think this is the model that has the "RVS Arm" stick as the lube dries out. (the cast metal arm should be free to move) This is possibly the best VCR chassis ever built and is well worth fixing but some tech info is needed since the RVS arm has a critical adjustment associated with it. The parts are usually available cheaply from several sources.

A common problem with Mits VCRs was the pinch roller lift gear. The lube would dry out and the roller would not move up and down
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "RVS arm cam gear" (the one with the raised section that moves the metal arm and post) is # 3 736 143 01
The one that is just a plain gear "communication gear" is # 3 736 116 01
They are a buck or three each
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Electronics Repair All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: