JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

help with solidtek ack-581 and urc-8910

View previous topic :: View next topic  
inorkuo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: help with solidtek ack-581 and urc-8910 Reply with quote

hi all, i am new here and i am trying to get map buttons from my urc-8910 to theack-581. i am using a serial jp1 cable with remote master and ir.exe to try to do this.

i have done a lot of reading and have tried in vain to figure this out on my own, but i don't know what else to do at this point. So i figured i'd post a question hoping that someone here would be able to point me in the right direction.

i verified that my cable works by doing a "check interface" in ir.exe. also i was able to download from my urc-8910.

in remote master, i tried using Solidtek_ACK-571_IR_Keyboard_KM_(V6).txt in rm as well as Solidtek_ACK-571_IR_Keyboard_KM_(V5).txt and selected URC-8910(New) as my remote. i go into the layout tab of rm and map the remote buttons to the keyboard. all buttons i assign turn solid yellow. then i go to the output tab and copy the upgrade protocol code to ir.exe by adding a protocol. i do the same for the device upgrade code. i press the "aux" device key on my remote and i then do an "upload to remote" in ir.exe. my remote's lcd display fills and then goes blank. i unplug my jp1 cable and test. i press the aux key on the remote and point it at the keyboard's ir receiver and some buttons i mapped but i get nothing.

i read another post here by a user saying he got his 581 to work using the 571 key file version 5 so i tried that but no joy. what am i missing?

thanks in advance,
inor
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you forgot to assign the setup code of the device upgrade you installed to a device key (such as AUX). Make sure to use the correct device type and setup code number.

Pressing AUX before uploading does nothing.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
inorkuo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the quick reply and i apologize for my ignorance but how do i do that? in ir.exe when i look under the "general" tab, the line for device button aux is highlighted. is that it?

edit: i looked in rm and see that under the "setup" tab there is a setup code text box. the text box says 2007. is this what i need to change? in ir.exe under the general tab the aux device button shows code 0167. i am guessing that this is the number is should replace "2007" with. i will give it a shot when i go home tonight.

gfb107 wrote:
Sounds like you forgot to assign the setup code of the device upgrade you installed to a device key (such as AUX). Make sure to use the correct device type and setup code number.

Pressing AUX before uploading does nothing.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, on the General tab, under "Device Buttons" find the row for AUX, then change the values in the "Type" and "Code" columns to match the values of the device upgrade you installed.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding an upgrade to the remote's memory is equivilent to adding another setup code to the printed manual. When you select a setup code from the manual, you need to physically program it to a device button, and this is also true for any upgrades that you add.

You can either program them the old fashioned way, by using the steps described in the manual, or you can program them in the Setup tab of IR.exe.
inorkuo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i tried setting the device type and setup code in rm and they were there when i copied everything over to ir but i still get nothing. thanks for trying to help. maybe this file is just not compatible with my keyboard. i have been able to learn keys from my keyboard so i will attempt to create my own custom key file.

edit: ok...scratch the custom key file. the existing on works. i guess i don't follow instructions too well. i started to create a key file from sratch and i compared the learned keys i had to the existing key file for this keyboard and they all matched. my problem was that apparently i was not supposed to change the device code to 0167 in rm. i was supposed to change the device code in ir to 2007 to match the key file. thanks again for your help.

The Robman wrote:
Adding an upgrade to the remote's memory is equivilent to adding another setup code to the printed manual. When you select a setup code from the manual, you need to physically program it to a device button, and this is also true for any upgrades that you add.

You can either program them the old fashioned way, by using the steps described in the manual, or you can program them in the Setup tab of IR.exe.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inorkuo wrote:
... apparently i was not supposed to change the device code to 0167 in rm. i was supposed to change the device code in ir to 2007 to match the key file.

Just for future reference, the "0167" and "2007" codes that you refer to are "setup codes" not "device codes". This may sound like symantics at this point, but if you decide to do more programming using JP1, it's a good idea to try to get the terminology straight.

"Setup codes" are codes that you might select from the printed manual (eg, TV/0156, or HOME/0167, etc). When you create, or modify, an upgrade, you have to give it a name and that name (eg, CBL/2007) is also a setup code.

When you construct an upgrade, you need to select a protocol and enter a "device code". The device code is a number that's encoded into the IR signal itself, if you enter the wrong device code, your signals won't work. Whereas the setup code that you chose for your upgrade has no logical meaning. Regardless of whether you decide to call it "2007" or any other number, it will still work just as long as you remember to program that same number to a device button on the remote.
inorkuo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mistake. i think i understand what you are saying. this is very exciting. i'm one step closer to getting my mythtv box into the living room and chunking the cable company's crappy hd-dvr. thanks.

The Robman wrote:
inorkuo wrote:
... apparently i was not supposed to change the device code to 0167 in rm. i was supposed to change the device code in ir to 2007 to match the key file.

Just for future reference, the "0167" and "2007" codes that you refer to are "setup codes" not "device codes". This may sound like symantics at this point, but if you decide to do more programming using JP1, it's a good idea to try to get the terminology straight.

"Setup codes" are codes that you might select from the printed manual (eg, TV/0156, or HOME/0167, etc). When you create, or modify, an upgrade, you have to give it a name and that name (eg, CBL/2007) is also a setup code.

When you construct an upgrade, you need to select a protocol and enter a "device code". The device code is a number that's encoded into the IR signal itself, if you enter the wrong device code, your signals won't work. Whereas the setup code that you chose for your upgrade has no logical meaning. Regardless of whether you decide to call it "2007" or any other number, it will still work just as long as you remember to program that same number to a device button on the remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Keyboards All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: