JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RMIR: Prototype IR function in RM
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, if your hunch is right that it's .rmir config dependent, start with the ReadMe and then my 8910 file which has a common element. All included files have this small issue.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13191

Update- I was thinking of blaming my funny Panasonic protocol methods. Wrong. One .rmir file with no trace of it also has the delayed tab titles.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, please replace the .jar file in build 11 (though OK to do so also in earlier builds) with RemoteMaster.jar for build 12.

I still cannot reproduce your bug, but I have found an explanation in this thread. It is not clear to me from that and related posts whether there is a bug in Java 7, but the issue is certainly caused by something in Java 7. I have tried to apply the fix suggested of getting Java to use a legacy sort algorithm for arrays, but cannot test it since I cannot reproduce the problem. Please try this and let me know what happens.

If it does not work, please look at the rmaster.err file. The second line should say "Legacy merge set = true". If it says false, I need to think again.

Build 12 should also fix another thing that has been annoying me for ages. The tooltips that show the full text for truncated table cells SHOULD have the same width as the cell itself, so should never overlap the right hand edge of the RMIR window. But on my screen, at least, they always seemed about 25% wider than the cell itself. I think this too is now fixed, and would again appreciate your feedback,
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success Smile
Build 12 .err file has "Legacy merge set = true" on the second line. Java is 7u72 on XP.
It is perfect. I've switched .rmirs and many times between keymoves, macros, specials, edited on each window, and it's working perfectly.
The tooltip wrapping enhancement also behaves nicely.
Great work, Graham, thank you.

I wonder why you could not replicate. Is it something on my system? My configurations?
Interesting link, but details of solutions are well over my head.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz, very pleased to hear that build 12 works well. Now I can make it more widely available.

Quote:
I wonder why you could not replicate. Is it something on my system? My configurations?

I think it is the version of Java I am using. My development testing is still Java 6, so that won't show the problem anyway. I also test the package I post, and that uses Java 7. I don't understand the various numberings of Java versions, but rmaster.err reports that one as Java 1.7.0_05. Perhaps that is 7u05, I don't know, but it is certainly much earlier than your 7u72 so I suspect the change Java made came in later than my Java 7 version.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Queries from the construction site:
(1) On keymoves, it's possible to select Hex or Function or Key. Is selecting a key which already defines a function in a shaded keymove really legal? I took a shot a trying it and don't think it did anything.
(2) I brought in a DVD upgrade, device is DVD, device type is DVD, yet on the General tab it insists on putting in VCR in the Type column. I know it'll work as VCR type (by RDF) but is strange that it's fighting me as I select DVD.
(3) A two-line tooltip over the grey kemoves travels with the column making it a bit rough to select a keymove to zap or move. Could the tooltip just stay in place or maybe we should put it up top someplace? I think it's behaving differently than was in build 11.
(4) Other than these minor things, RMIR is working beautifully for me.

Oh yes, I went through the java numbering jungle when installed it recently. 7u72 is the same as 1.7.0.72 and btw, that was their last v7 heap of patches over patches.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Liz
(1) I don't think you can chain keymoves. If key 1 on device 1 has a keymove setting it to key 2 on device 2, and key 2 on device 2 has a keymove to key 3 on device 3, then I think that key 1 on device 1 will perform the underlying function of key 2 on device 2, rather than key 3 on device 3. I don't think it makes any difference whether the keymove is shaded or not.

(2) What remote are you using? This behaviour is to do with the [DeviceAliases] section of the RDF. I suspect you are using a remote that dates from the days when VCRs were common and DVDs were rare.

(3) If you click on a cell with a tooltip open, the tooltip should disappear. It will reappear if you move the mouse, though. I have found no difficulty in selecting cells and it is something I tried a lot, for that very reason. Indeed, it is why I changed the width to stop them overlapping the edge of the RMIR window, as then they did not disappear. The tooltips on the grey area are not moving, it is just that every table cell has the same tooltip. I can't make the tooltips on the grey area behave differently from others, but I could put in a menu option to make all table tooltips non-permanent (ie as they used to be) for use in cases of difficulty.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re (1). Graham, I think we agree if chaining is what I think you meant. Given this keymove in the device upgrade:
AUD Shift-1 CD/Audio 1112 34 58 35 22 35 22 "AV 1"
I tried this one based on Key number, since RMIR permitted doing so:
DVD DAY- CD/Audio 1112 34 58 95 95 key: Shift-1
Didn't work. Rechecked in IRscope. Total silence.
The normal way containing hex codes works, of course:
DVD Shift-DAY- CD/Audio 1112 34 58 35 22 35 22 "AV 1"
So my question was if there are legitimate uses for using key number here? If not, maybe this option should be dropped. I suspect, though, that there is a reason it's there. Subject closed.

Re (2): I suppose Atlas OCAP 1056 will be classified as an ancient remote since it has both VCR and DVD buttons labelled. In the RDF, Device Aliases are DVD=VCR,DVD... and VCR=VCR. So I thought when type in upgrade is DVD, General tab would not insist on calling it VCR. Maybe if DVD was the first alias it wouldn't fight me. Minor issue.
Re (3): I can't click because it's being covered. I prefer to be sure what I click on.
No, please, change nothing. At most maybe put those words under the window title, next to the icons and drop the shaded area tooltip.
But please look at my screenshot. Can I be sure which keymove I will delete or detach when it's covered? It is the first row under the tooltip, but is not obvious. And tooltip will cover row number as well.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=13199
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Liz
(1) The use in your example is entirely legitimate, but it doesn't do what you think it will do. As I tried to explain,
Code:
DVD DAY- CD/Audio 1112 34 58 95 95 key: Shift-1

will send the underlying signal on Shift-1 for the CD/Audio device. There is no such signal (Shift-1 can only be assigned a signal through a keymove), so it sends nothing. Had you used unshifted key 1 in both your keymoves, AUD 1 would send the function "AV 1", DVD DAY would send the function that AUD 1 would send if there was not a keymove on it.

(2) There a lot of factors involved here. First, the RDF is erroneous. No device alias name should appear in more than one entry in the [DeviceAliases] section, but VCR appears twice (in entries for VCR and DVD). Second, internally the remote has only 4 device types though it has 5 device buttons. The entries
Code:
DVD=2
VCR=2,2

in [DeviceTypes] refer to the same type as the right-hand sides are equivalent (the second 2 for DVD is implicit as DVD is the second entry in the table). So if you download from a remote that has both a VCR and a DVD device in its setup, they will both show with the same device name as the remote does not distinguish internally between them. Third, the type specified in a Device Upgrade is a type alias, not an actual type name, and is translated to an actual type by reference to the RDF.

I am not going to trace through what RMIR does when [DeviceAliases] includes an alias twice, but that will certainly be part of the problem. I suspect that if you edit your setup and change the device type in the General tab for your DVD device from VCR to DVD and then save the result as a .rmir file, it will load back as DVD. It will make no difference to the remote as it will not change anything in the setup data (DVD and VCR both being type 2 to the remote).

(3) Of course you can click. All a single click does is select an entry. It performs no action but it will hide the tooltip. If you have clicked the wrong entry then just try again. If you want to open a cell editor, follow this single click with a double click to edit the cell. If you want to detach, say, this action takes place on a row, not a cell. It is pretty clear which row the mouse pointer is lined up with, even if the actual cell you are selecting is hidden. And as I said, if you got it wrong, just repeat the selection.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) Yes, yes, that's how it works. I forgot this basic principle.
(2) Dev.upgrade type is DVD. And that's why I'm surprised how it is on General tab.
In RDF, I tried changing sequence in DVD aliases from VCR,DVD,etc to DVD,VCR,etc. Still can't change type to DVD on General tab. It's cosmetic. It works as is. Subject closed.
(3) Sure. It's as you described. Just took me a while to get used to it.

THANK YOU for all your answers, and for making RMIR/RM system so useful and nice Smile
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
In RDF, I tried changing sequence in DVD aliases from VCR,DVD,etc to DVD,VCR,etc. Still can't change type to DVD on General tab. It's cosmetic. It works as is. Subject closed.

No, not closed Smile . I was surprised you were unable to get the type to change to DVD on the General tab, so I decided to try myself. I also could not do so, so I decided I would really dig into this to see what was happening. What I found was that with RMIR as it currently is, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the type to change to DVD Rolling Eyes .

The situation is as follows. The upgrade is indeed imported as type DVD, but it displays as VCR on the General tab. As I explained earlier, the remote internally has only 4 device types, VCR and DVD both having type number 2. The General tab gets the type number only, and translates it to a name, so it is not possible to have different type names displayed on the DVD and VCR buttons. As RMIR was written, VCR would always take precedence over DVD. I have now made a minor change to RMIR, for the next build, so that what displays is the first type in the [DeviceTypes] section that has the type number concerned. This gives the RDF writer a choice. As the RDF currently is for that remote, for type number 2 this is DVD. So any DVD or VCR upgrade will show as DVD. To change this to VCR (for both), you would interchange the names (the names only, not the entire entries) DVD and VCR in the [DeviceTypes] section of the RDF.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mathdon wrote:
I have now made a minor change to RMIR, for the next build, so that what displays is the first type in the [DeviceTypes] section that has the type number concerned.

Liz, this change is now in build 14.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, I just hope my nit-picking doesn't break someone else's remote Smile
Will use soon.

Still on Build13. Two quickies:
1. Alternate PID - when is that used? An example or two would help me understand.
If I were to bring in an upgrade with pid=1234, is Alternate supposed to get something like 1235? With or without messing with Manual protocol?
2. Is it a feature of RMIR or Java to strip all upper case letters from my filenames? I don't like that it does it.

And this:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15973
Looks like Bill bounced manufacture of keymoves back at the "tools". Oh, well.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
1. Alternate PID - when is that used? An example or two would help me understand.

A Manual Protocol can have any PID assigned, so it is always possible to avoid a clash with a built-in protocol. This is not so of standard protocols, where the PID is taken from protocols.ini. So if you try to use a standard protocol with a 2-byte PID in an old remote that only supports 1-byte PIDs, you would not be able to do so. To use such a protocol, you give it an alternate PID that is only one byte. Protocols.ini also contains home-made protocols that we have given a PID that was unused by UEI at that time. But UEI keeps inventing new protocols, so a recent remote may have an official built-in protocol with the same PID as a home-made one you are trying to use. Again, you give it an alternate PID to avoid a clash. Hope these examples illustrate the use. When it was introduced, this feature was welcomed as long overdue, see this post and the two following ones.

ElizabethD wrote:
2. Is it a feature of RMIR or Java to strip all upper case letters from my filenames? I don't like that it does it.

I haven't noticed this happening. I have lots of .rmir files with names containing upper-case letters. Can you describe a precise set of operations that causes this to happen? I will then look into it. However, I am not aware of RMIR containing any case conversion of this sort.

ElizabethD wrote:
And this:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15973

This appears to be caused by an error in the RDFs. The [General] sections of the RDFs for the Atlas 1056 extenders contain an entry

Code:
XShift=$40

or more correctly, they contain two identical entries. The duplication is irrelevant, but the value should be $C0. A keycode is tested to see if it is for an XShifted key by masking with the XShift value and comparing the result with the mask. So a keycode $68 is identified as XShifted with a mask value of $40, but not with the correct mask value of $C0.

Please try editing the RDFs, removing one of the two entries and changing the other to $C0 and see if it resolves the problem. If so, I will change the RDFs for all the affected extenders.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graham, thank you
(1) Alt PID - I read, think I understand, but never succeed. Will study more. Yes, much has to do with conflicts and/or 1 vs 2 byte protocols.
(2) Took me a while to reproduce. I think it's in one instance: Find some .IR file and make sure it has caps in the name. Run RMIR. Open the .ir file. Save is shaded out, correct. SaveAs proposes filename with caps stripped out. If you notice it and change on the SaveAs dialog it'll save correctly. If you don't notice or ignore, it'll be all lower case.
(3) Yes, it is the X-Shift issue. I changed the first one to $C0, deleted second one and all is well now with the ext3.02 Atlas and I suppose all the other remotes with that extender.
mathdon
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ElizabethD wrote:
Find some .IR file and make sure it has caps in the name. Run RMIR. Open the .ir file. Save is shaded out, correct. SaveAs proposes filename with caps stripped out.

Thanks for this, Liz. Got it! Please replace the .jar file in build 14 (or earlier) with this one for build 15. That should resolve the problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59  Next
Page 56 of 59

Jump to: