JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Converting data to a JP1 upgrade file
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Converting data to a JP1 upgrade file Reply with quote

Hi. I stumbled upon a group of remote codes that is supposed to make Panasonic DVD players region-free. However, I am unsure what these codes mean, and how I can convert them to EBC OBD or HEX codes in a JP1 upgrade file that will work.

The instructions included with the original data mentions that it can be made into a CCF file. If someone can help me with that, I might be able to convert to JP1 using DecodeCCF.

But, I would prefer if someone can talk me through the entire procedure, if possible.

Here is the original information I am trying to work with:
Panasonic generic regional code IR sequence

0082 0015 0089 0004 00F2 0033 0017 0010 0091 0013

You can enter these codes with a PocketPC using TV Remote Controller and making a CCF file with these codes. Or use a Palm with Omniremote. Make sure no disc in the player when entering this code.

Thanks.
garypen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nevr mind. I found a CCF file that included the mysterious 00F2 code, along with all the required "standard" Panasonic DVD codes. I was able to convert it to JP1, and create an upgrade file just for making Panasonic DVD players and recorders region-free.

It seems to have worked, judging from the way the unit responded. However, I won't know for sure until I test it with a non-region 1 disc. Once confirmed, I will post the upgrade to the Files area.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should post the info and/or file now while you think of it because if you leave it until when you get a non-R1 DVD, you will probably forget about loading the file. Plus, there are probably people who'd like to try the code themselves if you post it.
garypen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I'll upload it to the files section, in the DVD category. It's named "Panasonic Region-Free Hack.rmdu"

Hopefully, somebody will be able to post whether it worked for them.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the file...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3445
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm dying to try it. Having said that, I have Panasonic DVD-S35 and decided to look around about this hack. I don't know if this is a good site, but several posts make me think to look some more how this works or doesn't
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368649
Can someone explain the general idea how it's done?
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With any DVD region hack you're best to wait a little while until others have tried it and confirmed it works and then look up progress on the many web sites. Basically all units of a certain model of DVD player/recorder are created equal (it's cheapest this way) and then they have region-specific firmware installed in them depending upon their sales target area. The hack is actually a firmware "downgrade" back towards basic factory settings. Most can be reset via the remote by entering a series of commands but some require a code (not available on the original remote) to enter a service mode. Some require you to do various antics such as switching off with the tray open etc. I've only first-hand experience of five DVD players/recorders (Bush, Technika, Philips, large store no-names) but have managed to make all region-free after waiting up to a couple of months for a reliable hack to appear on the web.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

underquark wrote:
The hack is actually a firmware "downgrade" back towards basic factory settings.
I don't think I'd call this one a "downgrade". The hacked firmware was created by a hacker who reverse engineered the official firmware. One of the things that he did was to replace the secret "00F2" button with the regular "0" button but I gather that he also added some other features.
garypen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I want to say that this file is based on the remote hack that is floating around on the net. It is not a firmware hack. And, lots of people report success with it. I took the CCF file, converted it to JP1 codes, and created a JP1 upgrade file.

Personally, I wouldn't screw around with firmware hacks, unless it is for your specific model AND you have a way to save your existing firmware in case you need to go back.

Second, if you downloaded my file earlier than 8/1, 8:25PM Pacific Time, DO NOT USE IT. I must have inverted some numbers or something. My DVD recorder wouldn't play any discs after doing the sequence! But, I have corrected it, and have uploaded the corrected version. Please use that one, and post back your results. (My unit works fine now, after running the correct sequence.)

But, I don't have any non-r1 discs to test it with until Saturday. So, won't somebody try it, and let me know NOW? Very Happy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the thread that Liz linked to, it gives the following instructions where the secret button is referred to as "00F2". I just downloaded Gary's file and it appears that this button is OBC 242, EFC 143, so if it works you should just be able to add it to your existing DVD upgrade.

Incure wrote:
To change the player region code
1. Be sure players drive is empty (nodISC)
2. Enter following key sequence using remote control:

Enter, 6, >=10, <<, 00F2, Audio, 8, * requested region code here (1-8) *, Subtitle, 1

3. Player will reset and requested region code will be set.
- For example to set region code to 3 press: "Enter, 6, >=10, <<, 00F2, Audio, 8, 3, Subtitle, 1"

To set the player to RCE proof region free

Enter, 6, >=10, <<, 00F2, Audio, 8, 1, Subtitle, 4

3. Player will reset and set to "region-free" and "RCE-free" mode

To restore players factory region code

Enter, 6, >=10, <<, 00F2, Audio, 8, 9, Subtitle, 1

3. Player will reset and set to factory region code

garypen

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This correct. The only thing I added to standard Panasonic DVD codes is the 00F2 code. But, I also pre-assigned them in the correct order to the 1-0 keys for the RCE hack.

As Rob quotes above, you can use also set the palyer/recorder for a specific region, or return it to default settings.

I will re-edit the file to include the additional number keys, and the instructions for all the hack sequences, RCE, Default, and Regions 1-8. (I started to add more number codes in my last edited version, but didn't go all the way.) I will omit all non-hack function codes, as they just clutter things up in the file.

In the mean time, will somebody please try the RCE hack on their Panasonic unit, and report your success?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garypen wrote:
... will somebody please try the RCE hack on their Panasonic unit, and report your success?

Sorry, not yet. Can't get my hands on region2 DVD which is somplace in the family.

My reading of Gary's rmdu file, and that website, results in a little OBC matrix for two variable bytes
Code:
         SetFree  SetReg#  FactorySetting
Byte8       16     16...23       24
Byte10      19     16            16

Just from the Notepad, I translated the RM file to KM for people who can't run RM. It's FYI only. Untested. For 8910 and my DVD-S35 which is standard, but only uses subdevice 0 PanasonicDVD-regionChanges.txt

Questions:
1. There is a note in the rmdu file about changing subdevice number for remote 1, 2, 3. What's that about?
2. The mysterious 00F2 is a new OBC code, as Rob pointed out, but where does "(0)", or button 0 come into the website discussion? Is it because someome making the hack or the ccf file used 0?
3. I wonder whether timing plays a role. The reason I ask is that 10-button macros could probably be used.
garypen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Panasonic devices can be assigned 3 different remote addresses, to prevent inadvertant controlling of the wrong device. (The default is Remote 1). So, if your device is set to remote 2, for instance, you need to set sub-device to 16, in order for the upgrade to work with it.

2. You might be confusing the remote hack with the firmware hack. The remote hack uses the special 00F2 function code (panasonic protocol, device 176, efc 143 in JP1) not available on the consumer remotes. It is only available on special service remotes. I believe it is called "shift" on those remotes.

Where "0" comes into play is in the firmware hack. It replaces the need to see "00F2" in the region setting sequences with the readily available "0". That way, people can use their regular consumer remotes to set their units to region-free. However, you need the modified firmware for your specific model. From what I understand, the author has only done it for a few models. Plus, I'd rather just modify my JP1 remote than screw with my unit's firmware, unless it was an official Panasonic release.

3. You could do a macro, I'm sure. Then, assign them to number keys for each region. Key 1 for region 1, etc. But, for me, who is only interested in region-free, and has no problem pushing 10 buttons manually, the upgrade I created is fine.

What I don't understand from your post is the reference to an OBC matrix and the whole quoted section. What does that mean, in English? Did I do something wrong in the file? Is there a conflict or something?
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garypen wrote:
The default is Remote 1
Ahhh! But how can I tell the remote number?

garypen wrote:
From what I understand, the author has only done it for a few models. Plus, I'd rather just modify my JP1 remote than screw with my unit's firmware, unless it was an official Panasonic release.
I'm also only interested in the jp1 part of it, not messing with firmware. Yes, I did get confused.

garypen wrote:
Did I do something wrong in the file? Is there a conflict or something?

NOT AT ALL, just a tiny reference of available settings that can fit inside my KM/RM file. I use OBCs. Numbers are clearer for me than EFCs.

When I think about it, for different scenarios, changing bytes in IR will be simplest. These examples use upgrade for 176.0 only. UNTESTED.
Code:
Region free
 C9 00 81 F2 BF FB F2 FF [b]37[/b] BE 57 6E DF B0 33 17 [b]F7[/b] 76

Factory setting
 C9 00 81 F2 BF FB F2 FF [b]F7[/b] BE 57 6E DF B0 33 17 [b]E7[/b] 76

Region 2 (change [b]77[/b] to other hex values for other regions)
 C9 00 81 F2 BF FB F2 FF [b]F7[/b] BE 57 6E DF B0 33 17 [b]77[/b] 76

Note that button 0 command is the first on the list. It's pressed last in this design.

And I still can't get fonts inside other commands working. =bold

Edited: while not wrong, I described a much simpler procedure below.

Last edited by ElizabethD on Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
garypen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh! But how can I tell the remote number?

On my DVD recorder, it's an option in the setup menu. I would imagine it is the same on their players, as well. I have a feeling that some of the basic models may not have the option of changing remote addresses. In that case, I would assume they are permanently set to "remote 1".

This might be a perfect opportunity for judicious use of the popular acronym RTFM. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: