JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Conflicting remotes STRONG vs. MAGNAVOX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRXBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Conflicting remotes STRONG vs. MAGNAVOX Reply with quote

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone might be able to help me with a problem im having, I have just purchased a Magnavox DVD/HDD recorder its a model MDVDRW80GB. The device is conflicting with my STRONG SRT 5300 digital free to air reciever. Kind of annoying when you hit the RECORD button on the DVD/HDD recorder and it forces a 'MENU' command on the STRONG SRT 5300. There are quite a few conflicts, like ARROW down on the DVD/HDD recorder makes the STRONG switch from TV to RADIO mode.

Work around so far has been to switch off the STRONG and configure the DVD/HDD recorder (it defaults to DVD recording on boot up) and then turn on the STRONG before using the MANUAL push button on the front of the Magnavox DVD/HDD recorder. Less than ideal and sort of defies the point of having a remote.

Im using the STRONG codebase in Keymap master:

STRONG
Protcol: NEC1
Main Device: 0
Protocol ID: 00 5A
Fixed data: 00 FF FF

I havent developed a Codebase for the MAGNAVOX as yet, but I assume its going to use the same protocol and some of the EFC/OBC's are going to be the same for the MAGNAVOX and the STRONG.

Does anyone have any tips on how i can work around this ? I have emailed STRONG and MAGNAVOX asking them if it is possible to change the remote/unit so the shift, but the as I expected no reply from either.

I dont really want to replace the STRONG or MAGNAVOX (yet more $$'s) just to aviod the conflicting remotes.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Byron.
Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they both respond to the same power on/off command or can you turn each one on and off individually?

If you can turn each one on anf off indiviually then there is some hope of a work around that may not be perfect but is probably better than nothing.

The basic idea is to turn off the Strong while you are watching or setting up the Magnavox.

I believe that the Strong is just a set top box and does not have any recording capabilites. This means that while you are adjusting the settings on the Magnavox you can turn off the Strong and not miss anything. The opposite is not true, you could be watching the Strong and recording some thing on the Magnavox which obviously means that you do not want to turn off the Magnavox.

So the next thing to do is see if you can change channels on the Strong without upsetting anything on the Magnavox. What I would suggest is fully learning each remote and seeing all the keys that conflict.

If you can control enough of the Strong functions without affecting the Magnavox then what you do is program a macro on your Magnavox device selection button that turns off the Strong. Put another macro on the Strong device selection button that turns it back on.

If you can get this far then you can worry about how to record from the Strong to the Magnavox later.
TRXBoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can power on/off both devices independantly OK.

Like you say I may just have to power down the STRONG set top box while ever im controlling the MAGNAVOX.

Most of the controls seem to function OK, its just a few of the arrow keys and the really handy ones like MENU, SOURCE, and the RECORD key that it doesnt like, just the ones your most likely to use on a DVD/HDD recorder! Confused

Thanks for your reply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: