JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sony DVD 2 sub device numbers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
remoteneeded

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Sony DVD 2 sub device numbers Reply with quote

I'm nearly there with getting my Topline 8 to drive my Sony DVP-NS30 DVD player. Just one button does not work. The good news is I know why.

All buttons, bar one:
Main Device 26, Sub Device 73

This one button:
Main Device 26, Sub Device 98

Sony20 protocol

I've tried adding a separate device, just for this button, and using a key move on the main DVD device, but all I ever get is 26/73. Am I missing the point somewhere? This 'extra' device is not tied to a Device Button - is this a problem?

Thanks

Andy C
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're taking the correct approach, but you're obviously making a mistake along the way.

Step 1: Create a new upgrade that uses the 26/98 device codes, and use a different setup code number for this upgrade. For example, if your main upgrade is DVD/2000, let's call this DVD/2001. (You don't need to actually program any buttons in this upgrade).

Step 2: Create a keymove that refers to the new DVD/2001 upgrade.

If you're pretty confident that that's exactly what you did, post a copy of your IR file and we'll spot where you went wrong.
remoteneeded

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob

I have done what you've detailed above, but it still doesn't work. I've done some further experiments and there's certainly something stange going on.

Most buttons device = 1533 - 26/73
Extra button device = 1534 - 26/98

With 1534, if I set device button restriction to <All Devices> I correctly get 26/98, but the OBC is wrong. Whatever OBC number I put in the key move, the remote outputs 046

Anyway, here's the IR file for you to look at:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3281

Many thanks for your help
Andy C
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, first things first, when I was looking at your file with IR.exe I noticed that there's a problem with the RDF. If you look at your upgrades in the Upgrades panel, you'll notice that the numeric buttons aren't displaying dorrectly. To fix this, open up the RDF using Notepad or Wordpad and do a global edit changing "(T8)-" to "T8-" and it will fix it. If you're not seeing this problem, skip this.

As the highlighted message at the bottom of the Upgrades screen implies, any upgrades that require a protocol upgrade need to be made Device Specific if you want them to work. If you don't make them device specific, regardless of what button you press, you'll always get the code assigned to the "0" button.

I had forgotten that the Topline would need the Sony20 protocol added as an upgrade, which means that you need to make all of your Sony20 upgrades "Device Specific" but I don't know if keymoves will work on a device specific upgrade that isn't assigned to a device button. Your results seem to imply that they won't.

If you make the 2nd upgrade non-device specific, you'll get the same OBC/EFC for every button. Now, given that you only need one button from this 2nd upgrade, maybe you should assign the correct OBC/EFC to all of the numeric buttons and see if that works.
remoteneeded

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten that I'd tweaked the RDF a while ago to avoid these problems - I'll upload my version tonight.

I've tried making the second, (single button), upgrade device specific, but it doesn't work. The correct OBC/EFC is now outputted, but with the wrong device code.

I like your idea of assigning the OBC/EFC number I require to all the buttons on the second upgrade, so I'll try that tonight.

Many thanks

Andy C
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't claim to understand quite as much about this remote as Rob explains above, but keeping in mind his comments and by observation, I would point out 2 other things:

(1) You do NOT need to load in the Sony20 protocol twice - both of your upgrades will quite happily use the same one (in fact, the remote will only use the first one it comes across, and ignore the second - but they're identical, so you should just delete the extra one).

(2) The restriction assigning device upgrades that use protocol upgrades as "device restricted" upgrades ought also to apply to your MISC AUDIO/2001 upgrade, which uses the 01FF upgraded protocol, but is assigned as an "unrestricted" upgrade. So it should be misbehaving unless you chage it from "unrestricted".

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
remoteneeded

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Capn Trips

I was just about to reply saying how you're wrong about the Sony20 protocol being in there twice as I knew I only needed it once, when I double checked, and it turns out you are correct! It must have crept in there when I was experimenting last night - a straight mistake on my part.

The upgrade that used the 01FF protocol is actually an extender and only uses one button to kick it off, so maybe that's why I've never noticed.

Cheers

AndyC
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The IR user interface hides alot of the complexity that's present in the memory storage for these Mits-740 remotes. The "device specific" upgrades get stored in a totally seperate portion of the memory and they are stored in such a way that the device specific copy of the Sony20 protocol would most likely NOT be available to the device independant Sony20 upgrade.

Therefore, if you go with the idea of assigning the OBC that you want to use for the keymove to all of the numeric buttons and making the upgrade independant, you will most likely need 2 copies of the protocol.
remoteneeded

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help as remote now works as I want it to. Following your advice, this is what I did:

One copy of the Sony20 protocol.
Most buttons covered with an upgrade that is Device Restricted.
Extra button covered with a Keymove that points to an upgrade that has every numerical button set to the required OBC/EFC, and is Device Unrestricted.

Should I go ahead and delete the file in the diagnostics area?

Cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: