JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Velodyne SMS-1 / UEI Cat34
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmassey

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Velodyne SMS-1 / UEI Cat34 Reply with quote

I have a Velodyne SMS-1 (sub EQ device) in my system. This is a UEI Cat34 remote with JP1. I read the remote via JP1 and IR 6.2 and receive a popup message to select remote type, with options of:
Quote:
- OEM30EM - ReplayTV Unknown Version
- OEM30EM - ReplayTV Version1
- OEM30EM - ReplayTV Version2

I select Unknown Version and then get an error message of:
Quote:
There is a conflict at fixed data address $0000. Do you want to replace existing data with the fixed data?

which I answered No.

I have uploaded the IR file to the Diag section here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3252

Can someone tell me if this file is suitable to build a device upgrade from? Is my selection of ReplayTV version Unknown OK, or should I select version1 or 2? Is the error message about fixed data significant?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is the first example of a Cat34 remote that we've seen other than the ReplayTV remotes. Let me explain the reason why there's 3 RDFs for this one remote.

The original version of the Cat34 had a bug in it where the remote would sometimes do a 981-style reset if you simply pressed a button while the batteries where out. Given that this is an OEM remote where the OEM code is loaded as an upgrade, having the remote do a 981 reset, which will wipe out the OEM code, is a major problem.

So, they fixed the problem and issued a new remote. Unfortunately, they didn't change the signature, so IR has no way to differentiate between the old and new versions.

The only difference from an EEPROM image point of view is that the keymove/macro section starts at $01c in the old version and $01d in the new version. From a physical stand point, the only difference is the stickers found in the battery compartment. For the older "version 1" remotes, one of the stickers should read "3401B02" or "G004201". For the newer "version 2" remotes, the stickers should read "3401W01" or "3402W01". At least, these are the only values we've seen on the ReplayTV remotes, your remote could be different.

I looked at your IR image, but as it doesn't contain any keymoves, I can't say for certain whether this is a version 1 or 2 remote (though I'm inclined to say it's version 2). Could you program a keymove on the remote (ie, use 994 to copy a button from one place to another - any button will do) and then do a fresh download. If the keymove starts at address $01d you've got a version 2 remote. For version 2 remotes, the byte at $01c is used to store the last device mode used.

If you can't tell just by looking at the data whether it's a 1 or 2 version, just replace your posted IR file with the new copy and I'll look at it.

Once you've determined which version it is, we should actually create a new RDF for this remote because the button names are undoubtedly different to those used for ReplayTV.

Just FYI, when you select the "unknown" RDF, you will always get the fixed data message. It doesn't make a difference if you let IR change the data in this case or not.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a bit of research into this and found some additional info.

Here's a link to the official Velodyne page for the SMS-1:
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/product.aspx?ID=15

Here's a link to the user manual:
http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/products/manuals/SMS-1%20manual_English.pdf

Here's how the user manual describes the buttons on the remote:

Quote:
* PWR - Causes the SMS-1 to stand by.
* NUMERIC KEYPAD - Used to enter an unlock code to enter SETUP mode, and for other functions.
* SET (+/-) - Increases or decreases the Q value for a parametric EQ, or sets values on the SYSTEM SETTINGS page.
* LIGHT - Turns the SMS-1’s LCD light on or off.
* NIGHT - Limits the peak output of the SMS-1, and illuminates the NIGHT indicator on the LCD screen.
* VOL (+/-) - Raises or lowers the volume of your SMS-1 as indicated on the LCD display.
* MUTE - Mutes and unmutes the SMS-1.
* TEST - Used to toggle between the SYSTEM SETTINGS screen and the SYSTEM RESPONSE screen during setup.
* EXIT - To exit SETUP mode. The unit will ask if you want to save settings before exiting.
* SELECT - To toggle field values.
* RESET - Used to reset volume to the last saved setting on the main screen, and to defeat crossovers on the settings screen.
* MENU - Enters SETUP mode from the introductory screen.
* PRESETS - To access the five presets and one EQ defeat listening modes. Initially set at the factory, they are fully user adjustable. The front panel LCD indicates which preset you have selected.

And here's a picture of the remote:

If you want to compare it to the Replay version of the remote, here's a link to a large pic:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/pic2.shtml?ReplayTV

The strange thing here is that the OEM code in the IR image has all of the buttons populated, yet it appears that all the OEM buttons have been masked off and are therefore not accessible from the remote.
rmassey

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Velo remote reads G051703 3428B01 inside the battery area.

When I try to do a 994, pressing the P button (unlabeld on velo) it does not flash. I wonder if UEI disabled the learning features of this Cat34 for Velo?

I was going to mention, and you beat me to it. The device keys are not present on the velo remote as well as the lower source selection keys of the Cat34. These area are rebranded for Velo.

Also note, when I read the remote into IR and select Unknown, Ver1, Ver2, I get the following errors for each

Unknown -
There is a conflict at fixed data address $0000. Do you want to replace existing data with the fixed data?

Ver1 -
There is a conflict at fixed data address $0009. Do you want to replace existing data with the fixed data?

Ver2 -
There is a conflict at fixed data address $0009. Do you want to replace existing data with the fixed data?

Not sure if this is relevant, but the differnet address value for Ver1 and 2 is interesting.

thanks for your info links above Rob.
rmassey

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you want to compare it to the Replay version of the remote, here's a link to a large pic:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/pic2.shtml?ReplayTV

OK the code set button showing on the Replay remote is not even present on the Velo remote. The blue Replay button in the link you provided is not labeled on the Velo and not listed in the Velo manual. I thought this was the P/Code Set button for doing a key move/994, but not so.

Also, the UEI webpage for the Cat34, shows the upper and lower areas of the remote as 'Customizable Overlay Options'

http://www.uei.com/images/uploaded_images/cat34_01.pdf
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the SETUP button is inactive, it means you can't do any programming on the remote itself. If this button doesn't appear to serve any purpose, I wonder if they have masked it off underneath the button. To determine this, try opening the remote and see if there's some tape on the PCB under the button. If there is, remove the tape and the button will probably work.

The next best option is to pick an RDF and program a keymove in IR and see if it works. I think it's safer to load a version 2 image into a version 1 remote, than vice versa, so select the Version 2 RDF when you download.

You can ignore all those fixed data messages, just be sure to let IR make the change for you. I had to put the fixed data entries into the RDFs to force IR to let you pick an RDF, otherwise it would pick one for you. If you really want to know what they mean, here goes...

1) For the unknown RDF, I stated that the 2 bytes at address $0000 should be "FF FF". These 2 bytes are the checksum bytes and they will always be the complement of each other, so they will never be "FF FF".

2) For the version 1 RDF, I stated that the byte at address $0009 should be "31", which is ASCII for "1". By default, this byte will be "30" (ASCII "0") as it's the last byte of the signature (which is "OEM3OEM0"). I make the RDF change it to "1" so that the next time you download from the remote, IR can auomatically select the correct RDF.

3) For the version 2 RDF, I stated that the byte at address $0009 should be "32", which is ASCII for "2". By default, this byte will be "30" (ASCII "0") as it's the last byte of the signature (which is "OEM3OEM0"). I make the RDF change it to "2" so that the next time you download from the remote, IR can auomatically select the correct RDF.

If you can take a hi-res pic of your remote, could you do so and post it please. Otherwise, could you just list what the button names are as they are impossible to read on the one picture of the remote that I found (and the user manual wasn't any better). This is the list of button names that I need...

a) left of POWER
b) below '7'
c) below '9'
d) left of VOL+
e) left of VOL-
f) NE of the arrows
g) SE of the arrows
h) NW of the arrows
i) SW of the arrows
j) preset 5 (ie, "EQ something")
rmassey

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to do a key move (preset 6/Defeat to the . key) with no success.
The velo remote seems to accept an upload, but the key has no affect.

My hiRez pic doesn't show enough detail so here goes....

a) left of POWER
Unlabled on remote, nothing in manual, no effect as CodeSet

b) below '7'
shows as a '.' (dot/period) on the remote, nothing in manual

c) below '9'
Mute

d) left of VOL+
Light

e) left of VOL-
Night

f) NE of the arrows -
Exit

g) SE of the arrows
Menu

h) NW of the arrows
Test

i) SW of the arrows
Reset

j) preset 5 (ie, "EQ something")

Presets 1-6
Top Left to right 1,2 3
Btm Left to Right 4,5,6

Lables below are
1 - Action/Adventure
2 - Movies
3 - Pop / Rock
4 - Jazz/Classical
5 - Custom
6 - EQ Defeat
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmassey wrote:
I tried to do a key move (preset 6/Defeat to the . key) with no success. The velo remote seems to accept an upload, but the key has no affect.

If you tried to do the keymove using the version 2 RDF, repeat the process using the version 1 RDF.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do open the remote to see if there's tape under the SET button, take a look at the PCB to see if they have printed octal numbers for each of the buttons, these will be numbers like S00, S01, etc. If these are there, please write them down and post what you find. You may also find that there are buttons on the PCB for which there are not equivilent buttons on the remote, such as the device buttons and the OEM buttons (ie, the buttons that normally go where the preset descriptions are printed. You may also find if you look under the top part of the shell, that there are holes for these buttons that have been covered up with stickers, so you could poke them through and put real buttons in there if you wanted to.

Do you also have a JP1 learning remote at your disposal? If so, could you learn the buttons from this remote and post the IR file.
rmassey

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:

Do you also have a JP1 learning remote at your disposal? If so, could you learn the buttons from this remote and post the IR file.

Counting the two I bought from you last week... Smile I have six.

I learned most (Partial due to memory limits) into a RS 2116 here
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3257

Learned comds are showing up as

- Sent Once when key is pressed

+208 -1030 +208 -2522 +208 -758 +208 -2794 +208 -1844 +208 -758 +208 -758 +208 -894 +208 -80078

&

- Sent Repeatedly...

+208 -1030 +208 -1438 +208 -758 +208 -2794 +208 -1844 +208 -1844 +208 -758 +208 -894 +208 -80078

rather than a Protocol/Device/Subdevice/OBC

If this is of any value, I can post anotehr file with the missing cmds. Lemme know if you want all the keys in this format.

Also, I'll try and pop the remote open when I get a chance. BTW, I have no real need to add buttons thru the stickers, since I have 6 JP1 remotes in the house.

Last edited by rmassey on Thu May 25, 2006 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
rmassey

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Robman wrote:
rmassey wrote:
I tried to do a key move (preset 6/Defeat to the . key) with no success. The velo remote seems to accept an upload, but the key has no affect.

If you tried to do the keymove using the version 2 RDF, repeat the process using the version 1 RDF.

Tried Version 1 and Key move, No go.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What setup code do you use for your TV? Let me see if I can program a keymove on this remote that will work a TV function.
rmassey

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try one of these

TV (Sony) Device 0000 EFC 113 - Discrete On

TV (Sony) Device 0000 EFC 109 - Discrete Off
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have created 2 test files where the CH+/- buttons have been programmed with keymoves to turn your TV on and off.

Version 1 test:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3265

Version 2 test:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3266

Expected Results:

1) If you have a version 1 remote and you load the version 2 image into it, the keymoves will simply not work.

2) If you have a version 2 remote and you load the version 1 image into it, from the moment you load the image the red LED will flash repeatedly. This can be fixed by loading the correct version 2 image into the remote.
rmassey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, Sorry for the delayed reply, went away for Mem day weekend and just now getting back to this stuff.

Looks like Version 1 test works on my remote. Although the on/off cmds work on the VOL +/- keys not the CH +/- keys(Set keys on the Velo remote)

Version 2 test: Key moves do not work my TV at all.

I reloaded the factory read .ir file for version 1 and as expected operates the Velo VOL +/-.

So, does this give you enough info to do your thing with the Velo remote?

Also, can you comment on my Q about the Velo learned cmds above?

thanks,
Rich
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: