JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hi,, Need help. reading a Free to air control remote.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvbspider

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Hi,, Need help. reading a Free to air control remote. Reply with quote

I have a free to air control remote ( brand name HIVION 3030) is a new FTA on US market

I will like to get some help,, how to read, with JTAG,, I have Picture with good resolution , to see all components.

what I am tryinmg to do is use the SLINGBOX
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure JTAG can be of any use in this project.

Do you have the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) remote?

Do you have a way to learn (preferable to a JP1 remote) or otherwise capture the IR signal? (Check the hardware section for an IR capture device you can build)

If so, you can capture and decode the signal yourself, and using JP1 tools, can build the necessary upgrade and convert into a Slingbox bin file.

Read some of the beginner's readmes - first in the Slingbox section, then in the Beginner's section.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
prelude
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hi,, Need help. reading a Free to air control remote. Reply with quote

dvbspider wrote:
I have a free to air control remote ( brand name HIVION 3030) is a new FTA on US market

I will like to get some help,, how to read, with JTAG,, I have Picture with good resolution , to see all components.

what I am tryinmg to do is use the SLINGBOX

What are you trying to do? You want to use your FTA remote to control SLINGBOX? or what else?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he wants to set up the Slingbox to operate the HIVION FTA satellite box.

The problem is, you're looking at a two-step process:
(1) Figure out the codes for your FTA box'es remote and build a JP1 upgrade (this has NOTHING to do with Slingbox - other than selecting it as your remote in RM);
(2) Then use this upgrade to create the Slingbox BIN file.

Step (1) is the long leg in this process, since there are no HIVION upgrades in any of the usual places, so he has to create one from scratch.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what does "JTAG" fit into this process, and what is "JTAG" anyway?
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert, but I believe I've seen references to JTAG as an interface that allows one to access IC's and/or Hard Drives on some electronic gear. I've seen it specifically referenced in discussions of making digital copies of PVR-recorded digital video to a computer hard drive. I don't know whether or not this device has a built-in PVR, and since the OP hasn't bothered providing any amplification of his original post, am not overly concerned about it.

Just Google JTAG and you'll find quite a bit about it out there. In fact I just did and here's the 1-liner:
Quote:
JTAG boundary scan started as a method of testing ICs and their interconnections using a shift register built into the chip so that inputs could be shifted in and the resulting outputs could be shifted out using only four I/O pins (clock, input data, output data, and state machine mode control). This eliminated the need for complex, expensive, bed-of-nails cards for low-speed probing of IC I/O pins.

Eventually, the uses of JTAG expanded to include things like debugging software for embedded microcontrollers, thus reducing the need for in-circuit emulators. And JTAG is a natural match for downloading configuration bitstreams to FPGAs.

And there is a 145-page manual HERE.

Happy reading Twisted Evil

And to answer your FIRST question, I don't believe JTAG has ANYTHING to do with what the OP wants to accomplish. He apparently thinks that accessing the HIVION's IC will somehow help determine/identify the IR signals he seeks.

Amazon Firestick

Last edited by Capn Trips on Wed May 17, 2006 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTAG is an interface for talking to certain chips. In concept it is similar to the Background Debug Mode interface for the JP1.2 remotes (the interface you can't use, because of security features, without erasing all the firmware, not the other interface on the same connector that allows access to the EEPROM equivalent region).

In this thread, I'm not sure how JTAG fits in. Does the original remote have a chip with a JTAG interface? Or does the Slingbox?

If JTAG fits in at all, using it would be a massive job compared to getting a JP1 learning remote or captureIr system and decoding the signals.
whompus

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought JTAG was the J part of jp1. Jtag conector is on most sat receivers, pvr, and dvd recorder devices. It is a pretty common way to access embeded O.S. and such. It has become a common way to repair the green tint issue as well as other problems with many dish pvr's.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whompus wrote:
I always thought JTAG was the J part of jp1.

My theory on the "JP1" label is that it was used to disguise the fact that the 6-pin is an interface. "JP" is the standard label for jumpers, and the 6-pin does indeed look like a jumper.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we've lost dvbspider. Confused

Amazon Firestick
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many circuit boards use that same style header both for collections of jumpers and for attachment points for ribbon cable for various interfaces.

Using "JP" and a number to identify those headers is common, including those that are interfaces rather than jumpers. In fact, some boards use J and a seperate number per pair for the ones that are jumpers and use JP with one number for the whole header for those that are interfaces.

I doubt any disguise was intended by the name JP1.
dvbspider

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capn Trips wrote:
I think he wants to set up the Slingbox to operate the HIVION FTA satellite box.

The problem is, you're looking at a two-step process:
(1) Figure out the codes for your FTA box'es remote and build a JP1 upgrade (this has NOTHING to do with Slingbox - other than selecting it as your remote in RM);
(2) Then use this upgrade to create the Slingbox BIN file.

Step (1) is the long leg in this process, since there are no HIVION upgrades in any of the usual places, so he has to create one from scratch.

Sorry guy,, was in puerto rico,, few day, emergency familly matter.

capn ,, yes thats what I am try to do,,

I build the jatg all ready , but i am scared to damage the control remote,, I will post some image from control,, if you guy,, can help me where to ubicate the cables for Jtag ,, I will be appricite for your help.

robman I buil the jatg but on the schemathic it's show 4 cables to 4 pins
dvbspider

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is a very good Image , you can Zoom +

http://sathv.com/pic-remote.htm

http://sathv.com/images/untitled-scanned-02.jpg

thanks guts , for help..

I will like to now where goes cables , for JTAG read, a bin file for sligbox[/url]
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think any of the experts here know enough about JTAG to help you.

I don't think that what you want to do with JTAG is practical anyway.

You need to use some other method to get the information about what signals your remote sends.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, dvbspider,

I assume english is not your first language, so some confusion is understandable. I will ask some questions and try to explain a few misconceptions I believe you have:

(1) Are the pictures you posted of the remote control from your HIVION Satellite receiver?

If so, they are of no use. The inner appearance and design of your OEM remote has NOTHING TO DO with obtaining remote codes, and building an upgrade. You need to capture the IR signals that your HIVION remote transmits to do this.

(2) Why are you repeatedly talking about JTAG? I know next-to-nothing about the JTAG interface, but I know that it is USELESS in what you are trying to do here. You MAY require, however, a JP1 interface, which you can build or buy (see option (1)(a) below).

What you need to investigate and do remains as I wrote in my FIRST response to you:

Capn Trips wrote:
Do you have the OEM (original equipment manufacturer) remote?

Do you have a way to learn (preferably to a JP1 remote) or otherwise capture the IR signal? (Check the hardware section for an IR capture device you can build)

If so, you can capture and decode the signal yourself, and using JP1 tools, can build the necessary upgrade and convert into a Slingbox bin file.

So, to try to be more clear:
(1) You need a way to capture and decode your HIVION OEM remote signals. JTAG WILL NOT HELP YOU DO THIS. There are two ways that I can see for you:
(a) buy an inexpensive learning remote that is JP1-ready. I recommend the URC-8910 ($20) or URC-8811 ($23) plus shipping from Robman. You can get your JP1 cable at the same time, if you need one. Use this remote control to learn the IR signals from your HIVION OEM remote, and decode them using the IR.exe program.
(b) build the Digitrace probe and use IT along with the CaptureIR program to capture your HIVION OEM remote's signals. (This method requires a little more work to decode the signals, but saves you from needing a JP1 learning remote control.)

(2) using the decoded data, build your upgrade using RemoteMaster, which allows you to format the data for Slingbox and create the bin file you require.

Amazon Firestick

Last edited by Capn Trips on Mon May 22, 2006 9:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Slingbox All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: