JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Replaced batteries, 8800 backlight now dead

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jetstar52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Replaced batteries, 8800 backlight now dead Reply with quote

Title tells (nearly) all. I replaced the batteries on my 8800 because of a dim backlight and dim LCD display. Now, the backlight is not working. Tried MFG RESET, tried uploading last configuration from ir, tried the "scrambled keys" fix. Light still not working. There's no "buzz" from the inverter, either.

Any bright ideas (other than, "get a new remote")?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your model is the B00 version, the backlight failure is a very common problem and was un-related to the battery change. The probem is the backlight sheet itself, which is a custom part so the only way to replace it is to get one from another remote, preferably a B01 version.
jetstar52

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick response. It's a B01.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the B01, the backlight sheet should be good. Therefore, the next suggestion that I have is the backlight transformer. If you open up the remote, the transformer is the biggest part on the PCB. It's the big black part with yellow sides in this picture...

These things normally hum a little when the backlight is on, if yours doesn't hum, maybe it's broken. You can get a replacement PX13193-H Transformer from Hovis Direct for $5.
jetstar52

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. For $5, it's worth a shot.

Mmmm...the smell of flux....
jetstar52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Bizarre behavior Reply with quote

Once I got the new transformer, I popped open the 8800, looked at the PCB, and decided not to fool with it! However, after re-assembling the remote, I tried powering it with 3 v. I got a low batt warning, but the EL panel lit up! Tried the same with 4.5 v, then the full 6 v. The EL panel continued to work. So now all is well, but I still have no idea what made the EL panel stop working. Gremlins?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you now have a spare transformer just in case it does break.
jetstar52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More likely: the cats have a new toy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: