JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

need global LKP power for each device (URC-8910 extended)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for re-stimulating this thread, Beth, comments for teamvc (on Beth's comments)
ElizabethD wrote:
1. RAR format was a distraction
Concur!

ElizabethD wrote:

2. RDF conflict with the standard file makes it rough to examine on one computer trying to compare things with standard configuration. Perhaps there's a way, but I haven't found it.
Concur again. See below.
ElizabethD wrote:

3. In the RDF file for Extender-4:
- Phantom3 is missing, but is not used
- [Special protocols] section is not there
- [Extender] section is not there
Once those two are put in, it's much easier to read the IR file and IR is not objecting
- on the line which begins "DEV_DB08[MySys]=$70:AllBind,DEV_DB09" ... AllBind is missing
- second value in FavKey line changed from $30 to $31, don't know the meaning
- DevComb line is not there
Looking at this closer, I compared your ext4 rdf with the latest ext1 rdf and in addition to those differences pointed out above, there were several others. It appears that the ext1 rdf from which you made your mods, was not the latest, final version. I took your rdf, replaced the missing sections/modified ones (except for the memory boundary definitions you put in) and re-named it CPT0CPx4.

Then, to have your IR file use this, I had to go in and alter the raw data in block 0000 09 from 31 to 34, and re-open your file. NOW one has the Special protocols tab and it's easier to sort things out.

ElizabethD wrote:

4. In IR, the retest file:
- On the General tab, right side: Alt-shift button code is code for TV button. Perhaps that's a clue to something about having to press a TV/Power twice to work in the LKP?
I think this is most likely the key (pun intended 8) ) to your problem(s). Change the alt-shift button back to the default (1) and I'll bet your TV button will work better. Perhaps not perfectly, but better.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as your IR file goes, ways in which you MAY (you can't tell until you test) save some upgrade memory:

(1) Use Aud/1104 or Aud/1160 built-in setup code instead of your Denon receiver upgrade (Amp/1383). This may require MORE keymoves than you currently have, but should eliminate the upgrade (75 bytes)

(2) Use DVD/0634 built-in setup code instead of your DVD upgrade (DVD/0700). This uses the Denon protocol rather than the Denon (combo), so it only will handle your device 8 functions, but since you only have three non-device 8 functions, that should provide you most of what you need, either naturally or via keymoves. For the single device 6 function, you can generate a keymove from built-in setup code CD/0873, and for the two device 4 functions, you can create a bare-bones upgrade using the Denon protocol and device 4, and make a keymove calling on that. The Denon combo device upgrade deletion would gain you 82 bytes of upgrade space, while the minimal Denon dev4 upgrade would claim only 8 bytes.

(3) The Topfield and Dreambox upgrade appear to have no workarounds, since there are no built-in upgrades with the required protocol/device combinations;

(4) Finally, the Pioneer upgrade. There is a built-in setup code (TV/0679) that should have MOST of your requirements covered with Devices 170, 175, 211, and 212. You would only need to create a minimalist upgrade using a similar setup with device prefix command 213. I still have to look at this a little bit more closely to sort out whether there is a net gain to be gleaned via this route. However, you should be able to access the functions you note in your RM upgrade as inaccessible ("probably prefix command 212!") using the built-in upgrade.

It appears that you need to reduce your upgrades by over 300 bytes, so this doesn't necessarily get you there, but with the Pioneer switch, you might get close. But using only the Denon built-ins, you could already gain 149 bytes of upgrade space (granted at the expense of some keymoves, but it might still be a net gain, and even if not an overall gain, if the gain is in the right place (upgrade) and you can spare the keymove memory, then it might be worth doing, allowing you to go back to the "established" extender.

However, having said all of the above, if your setup does what you want - don't "fix" it any further!

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
teamvc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Liz, thanks Capn Trips this is it Exclamation Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Quote:
-ElizabethD wrote:

- On the General tab, right side: Alt-shift button code is code for TV button. Perhaps that's a clue to something about having to press a TV/Power twice to work in the LKP?

Razz After resetting that to the default value of 2 all works fine! Razz Razz
I have no idea why I changed that.... Rolling Eyes
This is implying that the mods ext2-4 ARE working.

Quote:
- Is this version of Pause protocol for a 2-byte value?
- Rcvr/Xshift-Exit: on the [On/Off] side there is SAT. Should it be Dev_Sat?
- Backlight timer is set to dec.245, legal, but long. Normal is 76 I think. It plays a role in timing cancel of shift operations.

Pause: I just copied it from the thread mentioned above and it seems to work fine.
SAT/Dev_Sat: no, intentionally, because I want to have all done that is done by SAT. (working)
Backlight: I just like it a little longer but you are right it is too long and I already reduced the value.

Quote:
3. In the RDF file for Extender-4:
- Phantom3 is missing, but is not used
- [Special protocols] section is not there
- [Extender] section is not there
Once those two are put in, it's much easier to read the IR file and IR is not objecting
- on the line which begins "DEV_DB08[MySys]=$70:AllBind,DEV_DB09" ... AllBind is missing
- second value in FavKey line changed from $30 to $31, don't know the meaning
- DevComb line is not there

I just used the RDF for ext1 I found with the extender... (more below)
FavKey: Question Question I did not do anything there, at least not intentionally. So far I don't know how this is working. (to be learned...) I would be grateful for additional information on that.

I did find a newer RDF ext1 that I now use but I will switch to Capn Trips version and report...

Quote:
2. RDF conflict with the standard file makes it rough to examine on one computer trying to compare things with standard configuration. Perhaps there's a way, but I haven't found it.

I need to sort that one out, maybe Capn Trips solved it, I'll report.

Quote:
1. RAR format was a distraction

Embarassed Sorry folks Embarassed

@Capn Trips
RDF, first part see above, your new ext4.rdf will be tested as soon I have a little more time to do it.
Can you tell me or give a link to the information how IR is selecting the right RDF. Where is that ID in the RDF file and the remote's memory.
Which ID is free to be used (if there is one).
As soon I get that information I will correct the corresponding extX files in the EXT upload area.

Quote:
However, having said all of the above, if your setup does what you want - don't "fix" it any further!

Yes and no. Yes I am happy for now, no I will try it out for the sport of it and as a return for the IR community. Maybe it is helping someone else.

Thanks again to all for your great help.

teamvc
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I have repeatedly stated, I AM NOT AN EXTENDER EXPERT. I have NO REASON to believe that the modifications I made will not cause some other fatal flaws in the operation of the extender.

(1) I simply compared YOUR ex4 side-by side (using notepad) with the latest version of ex1 (the one that is packaged with ALL of the rdfs) and modifed all of the entries in ex4 to match - EXCEPT where they dealt with memory allocation.

(2) I simply also changed the name from CPT0CPx1 to CPT0CPx4 - I assumed that was a "safe" name, since it seems to follow a pattern with the name for other extenders for other remotes. Then I opened two bare IR files side-by-side. In one, I selected YOUR ex4 rdf and in the other, I selected MY ex4 rdf, and compared the Raw data windows side-by-side. The 8-byte NAME of the extender appeared (to me) to occupy the positions in registers 02-09 in row 0000, and I deduced that that is where a change must be made in YOUR IR file's Raw Data to make it "automatically" open using MY ex4 rdf rather than YOURS. Again, an extender expert can confirm/deny that those registers is where the RDF name is stored.

(3) I note, however, that I cannot get RM to work with MY version of the rdf, probably since RM also has a library of remote signature names somewhere that has to be updated, but I don't know where and how. Your use of an EXISTING name CPT0CPx1 probably allows RM to recognize it and use it (presuming you have removed the ORIGINAL ex1 rdf from the rdf directory).

ANYWAYS, looking at the Pioneer TV upgrade, if you use the built-in Pioneer TV code I referenced above, and create a bare "Pioneer DVD" protocol-based upgrade with the required fixed data for your 2-command functions that use Dev1 170:OBC 213 followed by Dev2 175:OBC XXX the resulting upgrade would save you 64 more bytes of upgrade space. If you're interested, I'm happy to step-by-step through this, but you'd still have to do a lot of experimenting and keymoves (probably). But in this case, I really think you ought to consider using the built-in Pioneer TV upgrade, as it has the 170:212 functions presumably built-in (or at least key-movable from a built-in upgrade).

But I'm pretty sure your real problem was the definition of the TV button as the x-shift key, hence, when you pushed "TV", it FIRST acted as the x-shift key, and only on subsequent presses acted as the TV key.

Amazon Firestick
teamvc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is It that easy? Surprised The name simply stands in the memory as plain text.
OK that mystery is now solved, I will change the RDF an initial files accordingly.
I changed my ir-file with your information and used your RDF é voila IR automatically opens using the correct RDF. Great!
Quote:
(3) I note, however, that I cannot get RM to work with MY version of the rdf, probably since RM also has a library of remote signature names somewhere that has to be updated, but I don't know where and how. Your use of an EXISTING name CPT0CPx1 probably allows RM to recognize it and use it (presuming you have removed the ORIGINAL ex1 RFD from the rdf directory).

No. I am using extender1 for RM.
Since RM is not aware of any memory arrangement within an IR-file I am pretty certain that using extender1 will be OK. Also I experience no problems using the RM output, it all works fine Smile (now).

8) I use the remote very extensive and all works great now. This makes me confident that it is save to use for everybody else, if one runs into an upgrade memory shortage. The files in the file section will be updated soon. 8)

Pioneer TV: At another time. I spent so much time searching the TV button problem that I need to focus my limited time to other stuff but in mid January I will again pick up that issue. (Correcting one byte made the difference!)

@Liz
Please give me a response concerning the FAV stuff if you find time.
I ignored that FAV stuff to keep is simple. Wink(not knowing that I made it very complicated by accidentally messing up one byte...) But now it may come handy using all there is to use. Thanks.

teamvc
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamvc wrote:
Please give me a response concerning the FAV stuff if you find time.

You had no code for Fav key, so no harm done. I just saw the difference, that's all.
You need experts in RDF making!!
My reading of the Fav line is that it's button $2C, and memory location $30. As I look at my IR file, that indeed is the case. $31 is zero. I doubt you changed that reassembling and it probably should not be changed.

Starting at $0A are device indexes for HT assignments, the last one at $30 being the Fav key device index (TV to AUX indexes are 0-7). I think the rest of the line is how many mini macros and how many bytes each, but it could be something completely different. There is, in the file section, a file with rules about RDF and all sorts of standards, but I can't remember what it's called.

Capn Trips, that's cool that 1 vs 4 at $09 for RDF distinction. Learning every day Smile I wish I saw that one yesterday, it would have saved me tons of time.

This thread is cool. It's becoming a collection of work instructions for meddling with jp1 and fun and dangers that come with it.
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamvc wrote:
After resetting that to the default value of 2 all works fine!

For Alt-shift I add bit 7 to the base shift key number. I think that's what the instructions say. Allows three states with AltShift setting of Xshift. I don't recall what Ordinary means. Read the extender instructions. Also if you don't like the "set" key for shift you can change it. I think Capn Trips mentioned that already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: