JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Closed Caption and Mute on one button
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guentjo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Closed Caption and Mute on one button Reply with quote

I'm sorry that I don't have all the details on this, but I want to satisfy my curiosity before delving to far into the details.

I have a Sony TV (I don't know the model) and I'd like to get one button CC1 on/off. Having read a few posts, that looks like it may not be possible.

Let's just assume it is.

My friend's TV, automatically turns on CC1 when he mutes the TV. Pretty nice trick, but who uses the TV speakers anymore? Wink . Is there a way to program the "mute" button to mute my receiver and turn on CC1 (assuming one-button command of CC1) in one fell swoop? Would this be a macro?

I have an upgraded URC-6131, so I'm ready to use JP1 once my cable arrives.

10 months ago I upgraded my Dtivos for HMO and MRV. If I can do that, I'm sure I can conquer my remote.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, when you want one button press to do more than one thing, that is accomplished with a macro.

With a URC-6131, the only way to create a macro is using the JP1 tools.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
guentjo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeHe! When my cable arrives, I'll be back.

Thanks.
abroadst

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Me too Reply with quote

I want to do this exact thing too. I'm getting my modified 6131 and cable in the next few days as well. I have a Sony TV too. Let me know how it goes.
guentjo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. I'll probably be back here for advice
abroadst

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: No discrete CC button Reply with quote

So I've got my remote and my cable and have figured out all the tools, got the extender installed, and have macros working on my 6131. Woohoo!

I've been hunting around for Sony upgrade files and there are a lot of them. And I've got my TV working very nicely. But I don't see any codes for a discrete closed captioning button. I think that means I won't be able to define a macro that does mute+CC since I can't even define a button to do CC alone.

Bummer. Maybe there's some other way...
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you NORMALLY activate CC? Is it only accessible through a menu or something?

If it's accessed by a series of button presses, like - "menu, menu, 1, enter" - or - "menu, down, down, right, enter" - or whatever, you can create a macro to do THAT, as well.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: No discrete CC button Reply with quote

abroadst wrote:
I don't see any codes for a discrete closed captioning button. I think that means I won't be able to define a macro that does mute+CC since I can't even define a button to do CC alone.

When you say "discrete caption" code, are you looking for seperate caption-on and caption-off codes? If so, I don't think they exist for Sony TVs, but if you're just looking for a caption toggle code (as opposed to a discrete code) then it certainly does exist.

Did you check this page...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony/Sony_tv.htm

They list the caption button as using OBC 69.
abroadst

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got CC toggle to work on my TV just now with EFC 074, which is OBC 16. But it cycles through CC1, CC2, CC3, Text1, Text2, and off, I think. I want one that toggles CC1 on and off, so I can mix it with mute. But there's no such code I don't think.

In any event, it's better than nothing, just not my vision of CC1 on whenever it's muted.

Another thing I found out is that you can't turn on CC on a Motorola 6412 HD DVR box without shutting off the box and going into the service menu. And aparently there's no CC signal going to the TV through the HDMI cable so turning on the TV's CC1 mode does nothing.

CC does work with my TiVo using analog cable though.
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abroadst wrote:
I got CC toggle to work on my TV just now with EFC 074, which is OBC 16. But it cycles through CC1, CC2, CC3, Text1, Text2, and off, I think. I want one that toggles CC1 on and off, so I can mix it with mute. But there's no such code I don't think.
Well then, your Mute/CC1_ON macro would be "Mute, CC_Toggle", while your Mute/CC1_OFF macro would be "Mute, CC_Toggle, CC_Toggle, CC_Toggle, CC_Toggle, CC_Toggle".

Inelegant, but it should work, shouldn't it? As long as you're always starting from the CC OFF condition.

DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Amazon Firestick
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that you are using TV/0000 with the URC-6131 to work your TV? If so, the 'A' device code is 1 and the 'B' device code is 164. EFC 074 is indeed OBC 16 but from the 'B' device code (ie, 164) which is indeed listed as CC Toggle on the Sony site that I linked you to.

The caption code that I listed for you was OBC 069, which translates to EFC 023 with the TV/0000 setup code.

Have you already tried this code and verified that it doesn't do what you want?

If that code doesn't do the right thing (in which case, please explain what it does do), you could always send the TV's MUTE command. I know that you're not using the TV's speakers, but the MUTE command should still cause the captions to appear on the screen.

Last edited by The Robman on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
abroadst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using TV/1000 with the upgrade file posted here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1160

That upgrade file has the discrete input selectors including #7, which is my HDMI connector. Also it has the wide toggle function. I added the CC Toggle code I mentioned from the Sony pages (http://www.hifi-remote.com/sony) and it worked.

I'll try the other codes later today. But I know that in the standard out-of-the-box configuration, all Sony TVs I've played with including this one (a KV-30HS410) do not show closed captioning during mute by default. Instead they show the word "Muting" in big green letters until you shut it off. My old Panasonic TV did, though, and it was a good feature, which is how I got the idea that this would be good.

And as for programming a "mute on" and a "mute off" button, I don't want to do that. One big goal of my remote control project is to simplify the operation of the remote control and the whole system for people other than me. The remote only has one mute button, and I don't want to confuse people by making "mute" be "mute on" and some other button with a strange marking, like "PIP" or something is "mute off."

Since my cable box can't do CC without shutting it off and going into a service menu I'm basically resigned to giving up on this little idea for now anyway. I put CC toggle on my Audio/CC button and I'm happy.
[/url]
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abroadst wrote:
I'm using TV/1000 with the upgrade file posted here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1160

As that upgrade uses the Sony Combo protocol, to program the CAPTION button you would need to enter 69 as your OBC and then enter a 164 in the byte2 column (that's the device code).

Last edited by The Robman on Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abroadst wrote:
And as for programming a "mute on" and a "mute off" button, I don't want to do that.
You may not "want to" but you appear to be running out of options pretty quickly, don't you?
Quote:
One big goal of my remote control project is to simplify the operation of the remote control and the whole system for people other than me. The remote only has one mute button, and I don't want to confuse people by making "mute" be "mute on" and some other button with a strange marking, like "PIP" or something is "mute off."
There are other options to do this. One would be using the ToadTog protocol. You create the Mute/CC_ON macro on a phantom key, and create the Un-Mute/CC_OFF macro on a second phantom key. Then you create a ToadTog function on your Mute key that executes Mute/CC_ON sequence when the toggle bit is NOT set AND sets the toggle bit, and executes the Un-Mute/CC_OFF sequence when the toggle bit IS set and UNsets the toggle bit. You could actually do this all in the ToadTog setup screen on the Special FUnctions Tab of IR without even using phantoms for the two sequences.
Quote:
Since my cable box can't do CC without shutting it off and going into a service menu I'm basically resigned to giving up on this little idea for now anyway
I'm getting a little confused now about what you're trying to do. Are you saying you have to turn you cable box OFF to select CC? Then what does the CC toggle function (that this thread concerns before this point) do? ...and when? Can you use EITHER the Sony TV OR the cable box for CC decoding and display? ...or do you need EACH to do it under different circumstances?

Amazon Firestick
abroadst

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I misspoke about the model. It's a KV-30HS420.

Anyway, I have a TiVo2 on Video 1 and a Motorola DCT-6412 (Phase III) on Video 7. I have the Motorola cable box because it can record HD, whereas my TiVo cannot. But my wife still prefers the TiVo interface, even though the new iGuide interface is a much better TiVo clone than what we had on our old 6208 box. Most of my cable channels are available without the cable box as regular analog catv. So the TiVo works just fine with that.

So CC works with the TiVo just fine. But it doesn't work with the 6412 cable box. As far as I can tell, and I might be wrong about this, but so far it seems like the only way to turn on CC with the 6412 is by turning it off and going into a service menu. This would interrupt any recording and is unacceptable, really.

I haven't had time to play with it much yet, but I've also read that most if not all HD content does not have CC at all anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: