JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I've downloaded from the remote need to mod.....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doni-49

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: I've downloaded from the remote need to mod..... Reply with quote

I downloaded my remote using IR.exe (v6.10). I'm having a little difficulty figuring out what's what.

Here's my setup. I've got:

URC-6131 w/JP1 Connector
    two Tivo's,
    two VCR's (one GE and one Sharp)
    one DVD (Hitachi)
    and a surround sound

I've got an RCA V920 video selector. The VS will learn from the remote to detect which devide I'm turning on--but if it loses power, it needs to be relearned. However I've read somewhere that if it's programmed for RCA devices, it won't forget them.

With all this in mind, I'd LIKE to configure my remote so that if you press the VCR button, it'll turn VCR1 (Sharp) on if it's off and switch to it. If you press DVD, it should turn the DVD on if it's off and switch to it. And so on.

To turn off a VCR or the DVD, I want to press the power button. My remote (before using JP1) was set up so that doing a long-press of the power button turned the TV and surround sound on or off--so I don't really need to make those devices active too often (except to access the TV menus once in a while) so I'd like to have to long-press TV or Aud to access these devices and use these device buttons for something else.

Can somebody help me figure out how to get this going?

TIA
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: I've downloaded from the remote need to mod..... Reply with quote

You can do those with ToadTog and LDKP (Long/Double Key Press) special protocols included in the 6131 extender. Read the instructions included in the extender package. Once you understand how they work, create macros using these features in the Special Protocols tab in IR.exe.

Hal
doni-49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finally getting back to this. Anyway I'm having some SERIOUS difficulty figuring out what I need to do to get this working.

I read through the readme file and did what I THOUGHT it wanted me to do. But it didn't create the file.

I'm at a total loss as to where to begin explaining the problem.

The part that frustrates me the most is that I'm not a techno-phobe or anything like that. I've written computer programs in 7 different languages having taught myself how to do so based solely on reading books. But yet I can't figure this out.

I'm also trying to figure out how to have the remote send a signal that will will the Tivo's WHICH one I'm trying to control. The original remotes that came with the Tivo's has a switch that I can set to tell it which one I'm trying to control.

I assume the remote is sending as part of it's signal something that tells the Tivo's which one I'm trying to control.
underquark
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doni-49 wrote:
I'm also trying to figure out how to have the remote send a signal that will will the Tivo's WHICH one I'm trying to control. The original remotes that came with the Tivo's has a switch that I can set to tell it which one I'm trying to control.

I assume the remote is sending as part of it's signal something that tells the Tivo's which one I'm trying to control.
Are they identical TiVo's using the same control codes or two different devices each with their own code?
doni-49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One has a 540 prefix (don't know the manufacturer--is it Tivo themselves?) and the other has a 590 prefix (80 Hr unit from Humax). Both are Series 2.

If I move the switch to "1" and press the channel up button, the channel doesn't change on Tivo2 (the one I've got assigned to position 2 on the remote).

EDIT: The first one is a 40 hr unit.
classicsat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They use the same codeset.

You have to make two TiVo upgrades, one for address 1, the other for address 2.
doni-49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I came to that realization last night. I bought a learning remote tonight and since the "peanut" that came my Tivo is able to send a signal which each Tivo unit is able to decipher and figure out which one it is for, I'm learning each button from each signal on to the learning remote and will transfer all the buttons using IR.exe to the 6131 remote.

I'm in that process now.

Thx!
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you open a Tivo upgrade file using KM or RM, one of the fields in the general setup screen is called "Unit Code". When this is set to 0, the upgrade will work all Tivos, all the time (like the VCR/0618 setup code does), but if it's set to a value it will just work that unit. In other words, set it to 1 to control unit #1 and set it to 2 to control unit #2. You will have two seperate upgrades.

I recommend using this Tivo upgrade as your starting point...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=791

If you want to get more fancy, take a look at this...
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1756

Regarding the RCA VH920 video selector, you are correct, you can use RCA signals for the 4 main inputs (ie, all except the 2 AUX inputs). This upgrade is what you're looking for...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=816

If you're struggling with the whole concept of using JP1 to create and load upgrades, read this...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/help/
doni-49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the most recent Keymap-Master Excel file (downloaded it last night).

I "learned" all the buttons from my Tivo "peanut" remote and downloaded the data. On the "learned codes" tab in IR.exe, it lists "Tivo-NEC 1 Unit=1" as the protocol. But this protocol isn't listed in KM.

WIll this be a problem?

Another thing just came up.

This is what came over assigned for the "up" key.

Quote:

+344 -10818 +318 -97136 +8998 -2162 +558 -96910 +8998 -2162 +558 -96910 +8998 -2162 +558 -96910 +8998 -2162 +558 -96910 +8998 -2162 +558 -96910 +8998 -2162 +558 -96910 +8998 -2162 +558 -96910 +8998 -2162 +558 -96910 +8998 -2162 +558 -130512

HOW do I get THAT in? What in the world can I enter in KM to make THAT happen?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you realize that you're re-inventing the wheel? If you're doing this as some learning exercise, please continue, but if your only goal is to get your remote programmed, why not use one of the pre-formatted Tivo upgrade files like the one I suggested?

The signal you posted was learned incorrectly, re-learn it and it should display as using the Tivo protocol.
doni-49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry--for SOME weird reason, I didn't see your reply.

NO it wasn't a learning exercise. I thought it's what I needed to do.

I'll DL the correct file(s) now.

Thx.

Also last night I was going to post a couple more questions that were adding to my frustrations. Then I had an epiphany (sp?) and realized where I was going wrong and understood it a WHOLE lot more.

I've now got my remote controlling BOTH VCR's, my surround sound (had to build my own device code for the surround sound--once I understood HOW, it only took me about 20 minutes to LEARN each button, DL the codes, build an upgrade and upload it to my remote). The code for one of my VCR's was no longer on the remote when I got it back from OFA so I downloaded an upgrade file tonight and got it installed.

It's FINALLY starting to come together.

Thanks EVERYONE for the assistance! I'm sure I'll be back asking for more. L8R
DaleMac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to upload the device upgrade you created for your surround sound unit and post a link here for others who come along.
doni-49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was gonna do that after I got the unit pulled out of the entertainment center so that I can get the model number (or AT LEAST the manufacturer/brand).

I've had it long enough, that I don't remember any of that.
doni-49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok all that's left is for me to get it working with the two Tivo units and getting the macros set up properly.

Regarding the Tivos:
I downloaded the upgrades you suggested. But I'm still having trouble gettting the two Tivo units to understand WHICH one I'm wanting to control.

Between the time that I posted my 8/24/05 8:46 post and the time that I read your post telling me that I was re-creating the wheel, I relearned all the Tivo Peanut's buttons onto my learning remote (URC-8910). There don't seem to be any errors. But it still says that the protocol is "Tivo-NEC1 unit=2" (the DVR switch on the peanut was set to 2). I assume that when I have the switch set to 1 and relearn it again, it would say "unit=1".

Is there anyway to extract these protocols from the remote?
I uploaded the ir file that contains the learned commands in case you'd like to take a look.
http://www.newhorizonprop.com/downloads/TivoUnit2.ir

OR how can I use the upgrades that are available for download to control the two seperate Tivo's?

Regarding the Macros:
I installed the 920 upgrade you pointed me to in Dev8.

How do I define the macros so that when I press the PVR button, it will
    set VCR1 as active (in the remote's memory)

send the signal telling the video selector to make it active (send the "Channel Up" command)

Turn VCR1 on if it's off

doni-49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doni-49 wrote:
Ok all that's left is for me to get it working with the two Tivo units and getting the macros set up properly.

Regarding the Tivos:
I downloaded the upgrades you suggested. But I'm still having trouble gettting the two Tivo units to understand WHICH one I'm wanting to control.

Between the time that I posted my 8/24/05 8:46 post and the time that I read your post telling me that I was re-creating the wheel, I relearned all the Tivo Peanut's buttons onto my learning remote (URC-8910). There don't seem to be any errors. But it still says that the protocol is "Tivo-NEC1 unit=2" (the DVR switch on the peanut was set to 2). I assume that when I have the switch set to 1 and relearn it again, it would say "unit=1".

Is there anyway to extract these protocols from the remote?
I uploaded the ir file that contains the learned commands in case you'd like to take a look.
http://www.newhorizonprop.com/downloads/TivoUnit2.ir

OR how can I use the upgrades that are available for download to control the two seperate Tivo's?

Regarding the Macros:
I installed the 920 upgrade you pointed me to in Dev8.

How do I define the macros so that when I press the PVR button, it will
    set VCR1 as active (in the remote's memory)

send the signal telling the video selector to make it active (send the "Channel Up" command)

Turn VCR1 on if it's off

And YES I did download the extender like I was told to do. I'm reading the instructions in SP_ToadTog.txt. But I'm still having difficulty getting my head around it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: