JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Newbie questions on 15-1995
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julie5040

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions on 15-1995 Reply with quote

Hello all,

First off, thanks to all of you who have put in so much time with the JP1 interface! I just stumbled upon all of this over the weekend, and have a couple of questions. I should mention that even though I'm a girl, I was able to get the interface built and working properly 8) .

I have a Radio Shack 15-1995 remote control and am trying to use the "key moves" to move my Sony SAT receiver's guide (EFC 129) to the menu key and the menu (EFC 178) to the shifted menu (program) key. To clarify, I'm trying to swich the keys (shifted and unshifted). I have successfully placed the guide on the remote's menu key, but am not Mad able to place the menu on the remote's shifted menu (program) key. After programming, it brings up the guide whether shifted or unshifted. I can put the menu on an unused key such as swap and it works so I know I have the correct EFC.

Second, every time I download or upload to the remote using IR.EXE, I lose my "home theater" settings. Is there a way I can adjust those inside the program so they are not lost?

Lastly, I think I have figured out how to use the excel spreadsheet to add my DVD player to the remote. However, it only controls the unit if I walk the remote into the room (where the DVD is located) and point the remote directly at the DVD player. I cannot use the RF capabilities for the DVD player that I added. All of the other RF commands work fine for all the other devices (the only thing in my living room is just a TV, everything else is in another room). Do I need to do something special to have it work via RF after adding the new device? Also, while on the DVD subject, when I press the device button (I used the AMP button), it says CDP2 is there anyway to get that to say DVD?

Sorry if some of these questions are basic, but as I mentioned, I'm new to all of this JP1 stuff Rolling Eyes .

Thanks for the help!! Razz
Julie
usblipitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe an extender will do all that you want. check at jp1/files/Extenders/15-1995, there are 3 flavors (1.0, 1.1, and 1.2) for the 15-1995.
JP1Files
sfhub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions on assorted topics. Reply with quote

Julie5040 wrote:
After programming, it brings up the guide whether shifted or unshifted. I can put the menu on an unused key such as swap and it works so I know I have the correct EFC.

I think I remember reading the 15-1995 shift keys work a little funky
because there are 2 of them, but I never read into the details. Maybe
this would help.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/manuals/p8/rs-rf.shtml?15-1995#shift
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Julie, and welcome.

1. The shift key for buttons programmed with key moves is the green P button, not the button labelled SHIFT. So my guess is that you are trying to use the real SHIFT button, which won't work. Check out the link that SF posted for more info.

2. This is normal. However, I know Jason created something to work around this for the URC-9800, so he may have an answer for the 15-1995 too, I'll let him address that.

3. The RF feature should work for all devices, you don't need to do anything to "activate" it. I would take a look at how you've positioned the command center, is it in direct line of sight with your DVD player.

4. While there aren't any "DVD" codes in the 15-1995 (they're all called "LDP"), there is a DVD device type. So, when you create the upgrade using KM, if you select DVD as the device type, it should show up as "DVD2" on the LCD screen. (The '2' indicates that this isn't the DVD functions natural device button).
Julie5040

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys Laughing ! I have a couple of follow up questions:

Re 1: Thanks I'll try it with the P button and see what happens.

Re 2: I'll wait for Jason

Re 3: After much experimenting I have found out that sometimes (very very rarely) the RF will actually control the deviice. I have re located the "command center" to be right in front (1.5ft away in the same plane) and still cannot get it to communicate. Again, it still controls all my other devices just fine, but not the DVD. Is there a timing parameter? I was thinking maybe the timing is to fast to allow time to convert to RF and back to light? This is really stumping me!

Re 4: I just tried selecting DVD using KM and still cannot get DVD on the screen; however, I now get LDP2 on the screen which is probably better than CD.

Thx.
Julie
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did someone say my name? Smile

Re 2: A new version of IR (which should be out in a week or two) will let you do this automatically. The trick is in an updated 15-1995 RDF file. The extender also has this functionality (and is available now if you don't want to wait).

Re 3: I've found that some devices are very, very picky about where the RF emitter is. You might try moving it really close or farther away. If you still have the IR emitter cord that came with the RF station, you might try putting that directly over the DVD players IR receiver.

Re 4: There are two steps to this. First you have to create the upgrade in KM using the DVD device type. Second when you paste it into IR, change the device type from LDP/DVD to DVD. Then it will show up as DVD2.

Re 1: If you're feeling brave the extender makes the P key and the Shift key identical.

Let us know how it goes.

Jason M.
Julie5040

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, thanks for the help here! I'm just a little afraid to try an extender rigfht now (I'm still trying to master KM and some of the concepts). I feel as though I'm so far away....

Anyway,

Re 3: Jason, I tried your recommendation and used the "IR emitter cord" and put it right up to the Apex DVD IR receiver and I get the same results (i.e. I can use the actual remote anywhere in the room, but not the "command center"). BTW, I borrowed a "command center" from a friend (for the same 15-1995 remote) and it does the exact same thing! Sad Sad

Re 4: I'm off, armed with the new info, to try out the DVD2 stuff Surprised .

5. While I'm here let me ask one more question (#5), In looking at my friend's remote, it says 09A99 inside the battery compartment, mine says A0900 inside. I was going to upload to her remote with my file, but decided maybe I should not do that incase they are different inside (so to speak). Does anyone know what the differences are (are those months and years?), and can I upload my file to her remote? If so will I convert hers to from a 09A99 to a 09A00?

Thanks Again!!
Julie
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For question 5, the short answer is that difference between 09A00 & 09A99 remotes only matters when running the extender (there's a version for each). The slightly longer answer is that it is a build date (09/1999 & 09/2000). The 09A00 may contain a few more built-in devices, but they use the same Eeprom layout so you can upload to your friends remote without worries. And her remote will stay a 09A99.
Julie5040

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the replies!!

Ok, I have successfully used KM and IR to get DVD2 to appear on the screen. Very Happy I have also successfully uploaded my configuration to my friends remote. Very Happy

I have tried her remote and command center with my APEX DVD player and have the same results. Crying or Very sad After some experimenting I determined the following:

Both 15-1995 remotes seem to work anywhere in the room with the DVD player (bouncing off walls, etc.), neither command center controls the player via RF from either remote with any regularity. However, I have discovered that if I press a key, wait 3 seconds, then press the key again, it seems to work 70% of the time. If I press the keys right after one another it will never work.

I am beginning to think that it is missing (please excuse the extreme ignorance here!) part the "header" which is originally sent out when a key is pressed (is there such a thing?). I notice that if I take the actual remote and cover the IR transmitter press a button, then uncover the xmitter within a second it will not control the device (even though it is still sending out light). It will not work until I release the key and re-press the key.

If this makes any sense to anybody, is it possible to resend the "header" a couple of times, or wait a fraction of a second after the button is pressed before sending the header to allow the RF link to be established?

Sorry to be such a pest with this stuff, but it is frustrating (and also has me curious)!

Julie
Julie5040

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RF Command Center Update:

I went down to the local electronic store to check out the current batch of remotes (in hopes to look at a manual and see if my player is now included as part of the remote). After talking with a sales person, he told me that I was not allowed to see a manual, but I could purchase the unit and then return it within 30 days if I did not like it. I explained that I already had a remote, and just wanted to see a manual. That did not stop the sales pressure, instead he insisted that I take the remote home and try it out because "it was better than mine." When I asked in which ways it was better, I was told "it is newer so it must be better." I explained that I'd be happy to purchase it, but there was a 100% chance of me returning the remote within 30 days (probably tomorrow). Since that was just fine with him, I left with a new One For All model URC 9910.

When I returned home, I set it up with code 672 for my DVD player (the only APEX DVD code listed in the manual) on the DVD key, and VIOLA!! It worked!! Shocked Not only that, but (as I'm sure anyone here would expect) it worked with my Command Center from three years ago! Both the remote and my command center (the new one is still in the box) control the DVD player! Shocked

ATTENTION ALL GURUS...

Is there a way to read "something" Embarassed from this new remote to find out why it controls my DVD with my command center, but my remote (once upgraded with KM and IR) doesn't?

PLEASE HELP me get my 15-1995 up and running as I do not like the layout of the new remote. In addition, I cannot stand the (what I consider to be) bogus joystick and select button.

Please advise what I should do next!!! Question

Thanks a bunch!
Julie Confused
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie

You may want to upload your IR .txt file from your 1995 and the KM files to the diagnostics area of jp1 so someone can look at it and compare it to the 672 device code. It may be something as simple as the protocol not being set right.

I have an alternative thought on the RF signal from the 1995. It may not be working since the major difference in your temporary purchase and the 1995 is that the RF puck is definitely working in the new one.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but she says the command center is controlling all of her other devices OK.

Julie, here's something for you to try (just as an experiment). Seeing as how your DVD player uses DVD/0672, that means it will also respond to TV/0030 (though the buttons will all be in the wrong place). Why don't you try TV/0030 and try pressing a few buttons to see what does what (if your player is the AD600A, for example, the TV POWER button should work the DVD's VOL+ function), then try those same buttons via the RF center.

The idea behind this test is to see if the 15-1995 only fails for upgrades. If this turns out to be the case, Jason, can you think of what might be causing it? Is there some bug in the 15-1995 that we didn't know about before?
Julie5040

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the responses! BTW, my DVD is an Apex AD-5131.

Robman, I did what you suggested and programmed TV code 0030. I'm kinda sad Crying or Very sad to report (only because I wonder if anything can be done) that it does the exact same thing as the upgrade. It works perfectly fine with the actual remote, but not through the "command center".

Just for information, I also tried the new remote (URC-9910B00) with TV 0030 and it worked perfectly with both the remote and my three year old command center.

Can ANYTHING be done Question Does anyone have any ideas Question Question

Julie

P.S. No, I do not want to throw the DVD out the window.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really wierd Julie. The only difference I see in the upgrade for TV/0030 for the 1995 and the 9910 is the fixed data. It looks like a standard NEC1 00 5A protocol, main device 4 with fixed data of 00 DF DF for the 1995 and 00 DF 00 for the 9910. This however I don't believe is the problem but worth trying. I would also try 00 DF 20.

It almost seems that the RF being generated in the 1995 may be different but I don't know why.

If you get stuck replacing the 1995 I would return the 9910 and pick up a RS 15-2117. It is very similar to the 1995 and has an excellent extender. They are going for $30 now jp1 ready
gjarboni
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, there's only one more thing I can think of and it's kind of silly, but have you tried new batteries in your 15-1995? Putting in fresh batteries has solved lots of other strange problems.

Jason M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: