JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Analysis Tool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: New Analysis Tool Reply with quote

I've just posted an article in the hardware files that describes a new system for capturing remote control signals for analysis.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3457
This is a goal I have been working on for years, and I've published at least three previous designs that weren't very practical. Since my past efforts were always greeted with almost total disinterest, this time I'm not bothering to publish any details on how it works or how to build one. Instead, if anybody wants one, the price is 30 bucks for the hardware/software package, including shipping. If anyone is interested they can contact me by P.M. for information on how to make payment and how to download the software.

Tommy
ElizabethD
Advanced Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy’s description of The Gadget and IRSA system is non-technical and comprehensive enough as to the workings of the application. Let me add that, for the curious, it adds to the toolkit some nifty nitty-gritty details about the signals configured by the existing jp1 tools.

Close your eyes and IMAGINE:
1. Taking a user friendly, somewhat deep-dive, course in the IR playground, where you can see, at least a bit of, what the experts already know.
2. Debugging macro trials without upsetting the family watching/listening to something when you want to experiment.
3. Capturing OEM remote signals in the absence of a learning remote. Even though the carrier frequency is not reported, experts on this forum are quite likely to suggest what protocol(s) to try based on the timing and structure of signals.
4. An opportunity to see entire signals beyond what IR shows and attempt to match what you see to DecodeIR information.
5. Watching the same command sequence coming from different UEI remotes.
6. Being able to see the differences between structure and timing of commands sent from a built-in protocol, an upgrade, or an upgrade running under an extender.
7. Perhaps being able to figure out why some protocols running under the extender need duration adjustment.
8. Timing of remote’s puttering about while it finds a keymove, macro, or a base command from the KM/RM upgrade. Requires some idea of leadout times in the signals sent.
9. Being eble to estimate delays the remote is providing for free, and then adjusting the Pause protocols sitting on top of those delays. Requires some knowledge of expected leadouts (DecodeIR.txt is invaluable here).
10. Debugging paths a complex macro takes where nested toadTogs or L/DKP are used. Requires some knowledge or having a collection of expected signals.
IMAGINE eating pizza dinner instead of cooking ‘cause all this learning is so much fun.

Enough rambling. No, I do not run an advertising agency for Tommy Tyler, the inventor of the jp1 interfaces, nor has Tommy seen this blurb. Just a user with The Gadget blinking at me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: