JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mail in 6131?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abroadst

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: 1k vs. 2k and Complexity of setup Reply with quote

I don't expect my setup is particularly complex, and it may not even warrant JP1 tinkering at all. As a programmer and software tinkerer it intrigues me though, and I always prefer something I can mess with over something I can't. I think the whole JP1 thing is cool.

All I really want to do is to set up a few macros, particularly for the power switch to turn on the tv and the receiver simultaneously, and to disable the cable power button, since I always want that on. I don't have a feel for how much customization I will end up wanting, and I expect it's hard to know this without playing with it a bit.

I'm not quite sure why I would need the extender. Is there an article or posting you could point out that describes what exactly it does and why I would need it?

Thanks!
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most remotes have some restrictions on how buttons can be used. One thing that is frequently disalloed is assigning macros to device buttons. Most of us find it intuitive to place input selection macros on the device buttons.

Extenders remove these restrictions.

Learning JP1 remotes usually allocate half of the available memory for learned signals, which a JP1 user doesn't need to use. Sure, a JP1 user may need to use learning in order to build an upgrade to support a device, but once that is done there is no need for the learned signals. Extenders reallocate the memory and make more available for keymoves, macros and upgrades.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
abroadst

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Learning and EEPROM Reply with quote

So does that mean the EEPROM is only for learned commands? The 6131 can't learn so I guess that's not the whole story. I presume that the JP1 interface allows reprogramming of the memory normally allocated to the various key functions which is not in the 1 or 2k EEPROM, right?

I'm still not quite clear on what the EEPROM memory holds. Keymoves I guess? So that means reallocated key functions, right? Does that mean the 1k version is limited in how many keys can be reprogrammed as opposed to the 2k?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EEPROM holds all of your programming. For a non-JP1 user that means macros, keymoves, etc along with the setup codes that you have assigned to the device buttons. When the 6131 doesn't have an EEPROM, it stores all that stuff in the RAM, which is why you might lose your programming if you don't change the batteries quick enough. With an EEPROM installed, you can leave the batteries out for ever and the programming will remain.

But, the real reason people use JP1 is to do things like load up upgrades for devices that don't have codes in the main ROM. In addition to that, JP1 allows so many other possibilities. For example, without JP1 the 6131 doesn't support macros, but with JP1 it does!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: