JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Please help me diagnose my HTPro

Post new topic   Reply to topic    JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnnya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:57 am    Post subject: Please help me diagnose my HTPro Reply with quote

A month or two ago I bought a new HTPro off ebay and it has worked flawlessly until yesterday when it apparently froze in its last device mode (the LCD reads TV, the time, and my tv code, and never fades out like it normally would after a button press) and refused to send out any more signals. At first I thought it was a battery problem, because it was temporarily revived by shuffling the batteries and then ultimately replacing them, but a few minutes later it would freeze again.

I then performed an "Initialize to $FF" followed by a manufacturers reset (the latter was done with some difficulty as only after a dozen or so battery reshuffles could I even get the "set" button to register at all). Following the reset, the remote worked normally again for a day, and then froze up once more.

The only possible cause I can come up with is that one of my 1 1/2 year old twins sometimes gets a hold of it and holds a button down for a long time, or else hits lots of buttons in rapid succession. I didn't see this happen before the remote died, but it very well could have.

So... it my HTPro dead? Could it be some kind of short or bad connection in the battery compartment? (Just for kicks, I just reshuffled batteries again and now the LCD shows its entire character set).

Thanks in advance...
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a weird one.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a weird one but I had it happen once before a long time ago and it turned out to be batteries.

First replace the batteries then get in there and do a full reset using the following. You may need to remove a battery, press a button then put the battery back in to get setup to work.

For the current LCD remotes (eg, URC-8910, etc):

- Press and hold SETUP until screen reads "CODE SET"
- Press RECORD
- Follow the prompts
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may also be that something was spilled on the keyboard and got underneath. If it was shorting the traces together somewhere, simulating a button push, you could have troubles. If you are willing, I would suggest take it apart, clean it real well with alchohol and look it over thouroughly for anything that seems loose or different.
Jim
johnnya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I think Jim may be on to something, as I just tried replacing the batterings with a completely new set and again the remote worked fine for a little while and then froze on the last device button pushed.

Assuming I go the "crack it open and take a look-see" route, any advice on how to go about it. Do I just take a flat-head screwdriver and pry to the halves apart? Will it click back together when I'm done?

Does the fact that the remote functions under certain circumstances, however temporarily, rule out the possibly of the bad mem chip?
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some advice on opening the remote...

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/disassemble/
johnnya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. It never occurred to me that there might actually be a guide available on this. I am really humbled by the level of dedication and selfless sharing of knowledge around here...
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that the instructions Rob gave you don't mention is the LCD panel. It has two strips, the panel itself, and a piece of hard plastic ("waveguide", if you will, for the right angle LEDs). Make sure to get a good look at how all of these pieces are in there before you take them out. It's a little bit tricky, because you may pull the remote apart and think you're doing great until they fall out. You may not even notice them if they stay put properly, but they will fall out, soon enough.

There is also a "waveguide" piece of plastic that goes between the keyboard and the circuit board.

I have two young ones 2 and 4 and they (along with the wife; grrr) have a tendency to spill or splash things and then not tell me, so sometimes with my remotes I need to go in and clean.
Jim
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point, take a look at my guide for the RCU810 as it's pretty similar:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/jp1/RCU810/
johnnya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, cracking open the remote and cleaning it did not solve the problem. There were no obvious signs of spillage, though there was a small amount/very thin layer of brown substance on the board around the battery terminals. When I put it back together and put in yet another new set of batteries, the LCD just froze on its entire character set again, and now refuses to acknowledge any key presses, either with the red IR light or on the LCD. Tried another intialize to $FF, and now the remote is stuck on MEM FAULT, with no way to perform the MFR RESET.

Guess I'm dead in the water, huh? So far the seller has refused to return to my emails...
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried seperating the batteries and press and holding a button for a few seconds then let go of the button and then let go of the batteries so they reconnect? This should get you out of the MEM FAULT
johnnya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used something similar to that method to perform my first MFR REST, but now (as best I can tell) the buttons are not even registering at all (I get no red light or response on the LCD), so I'm not able to get into the CODE SET menu.

Funny thing is, 99% of the time the LCD reads MEM FAULT but occasionally I'll get TV mode, the clock, and a code (frozen, of course).
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the "arrow key" or "donut ring" version of this remote? If you have the "donut ring" version, I might be able to dig up a replacement PCB for you (compliments of a smashed up Nils remote), which should fix things.
johnnya

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shucks. I have the "arrow key" version. Weren't people able to convert from "donut ring" to "arrow key" though?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - General Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: