JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RS 1994 Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fishfry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: RS 1994 Questions Reply with quote

Hi, Just joined and I am excited about the prospects of JP1. Ive read quite a few beginner pages and now am a little confused due to the wealth of knowledge out there, so just a few questions.

1. What are the absolute "must have" files needed. There seems to be multiple versions of IR, KM and RM, is the latest version the one to have or will the newer versions delete features that the old 1994 might need?

2.When I unzip the RDF files there are hundreds ( seems like) if files, can i delete all but the 1994 RDF Files in IR if the only remote i have is the 1994?

3. I have a Gateway AR-230 and a KLH R5100, I have found txt files off of Yahoo Groups. Should I use KM or RM to upload to the 1994?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Fishfry
Capn Trips
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RS 1994 Questions Reply with quote

Fishfry wrote:
1. What are the absolute "must have" files needed. There seems to be multiple versions of IR, KM and RM, is the latest version the one to have or will the newer versions delete features that the old 1994 might need?
The latest versions all retain all of the original functionality. As the 15-1994 is one of the original hacked JP1 remotes, it is not likely to suddenly become "unsupported". The latest versions of all of the tools are fine with 1994s. That would include IR, and EITHER KM or RM, whichever you're more comfortable with. KM requires you to have Excel with analysis toolpack and macros enabled, while RM requires to install JAVA Runtime Environment - your choice which you prefer.

Fishfry wrote:
2.When I unzip the RDF files there are hundreds ( seems like) if files, can i delete all but the 1994 RDF Files in IR if the only remote i have is the 1994?
Yes, EXCEPT if you choose to use RM, many device upgrades that you may download from the files section will have been built for remotes OTHER than the 1994, and RM requires the RDF to work properly (KM does NOT require or use the RDF), so it does no harm (and they don't really consume that much space on your hard drive) to keep all of the RDFs.

Fishfry wrote:
3. I have a Gateway AR-230 and a KLH R5100, I have found txt files off of Yahoo Groups. Should I use KM or RM ...?
You can use EITHER, but if they are .txt files, they were likely produced in KM. RM has an option to open KM files when you select "File" "Open", and converts it immediately to RM format. However, your phrase
Fishfry wrote:
...upload to the 1994?
indicates a misunderstanding of how the tools work. You do not upload to the remote from KM or RM. IR is the program that "communicates" with the remote. KM and RM are used to generate device upgrades that are subsequently entered in IR (along with programming keymoves, macros and a host of other settings) and IR sends the whole magilla to your remote.

Remotes: OFA XSight Touch, AR XSight Touch
TVs: LG 65" Smart LED TV; Samsung QN850BF Series - 8K UHD Neo QLED LCD TV
RCVR: Onkyo TX-SR875; Integra DTR 40.3
DVD/VCR: Pioneer DV-400VK (multi-region DVD), Sony BDP-S350 (Blu-ray), Toshiba HD-A3 (HD-DVD), Panasonic AG-W1 (Multi-system VCR);
Laserdisc: Pioneer CLD-D704.
Amazon Firestick
tape deck: Pioneer CT 1380WR (double cassette deck)
(But I still have to get up for my beer)
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Whatever set of tools end up using, always make sure to use the newest version. You'll need IR and the RDFs, along with either RM or KM.
  2. If you use RM, you'll want to keep all the RDFs. That'll allow you to open upgrades created for other remotes and then change them to use with your 1994. Even if you don't use RM, why bother deleting them? They don't take up much room (just over 1 MB). Put them in their own directory, rather than the same directory as IR, RM, and/or KM. That way your directory won't be cluttered with RDFs I suggest creating a base JP1 directory which will contrain seperate subdirectories for IR, RDFs, RM (or KM)
  3. You can use either RM or KM. If you have Excel '97 (or later) with the Analysis Tookpak installed, you can use either. If you don't have Excel, then you'll have to use RM. I prefer RM, but that's partly because I wrote it. Also, we've pretty much moved away from the old Yahoo group. You should check the File Section here for upgrades.

The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do NOT recommend deleting files that you think you don't need. Most of the files in question are very small, so you won't be using up too much HD space for them.
Fishfry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, I'll keep the files.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: