JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Forgot how to load saved configurations back into KM

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timg11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Forgot how to load saved configurations back into KM Reply with quote

About 6 months ago, I learned how to use KM and IR, and customized a RS 15-2117 remote. As recommended in the keymap-master-readme file, I didn't save the KM spreadsheet with changes, but saved a text file with my work as I developed it. It took quite a while to get all the customization right, so I saved multiple versions over several days.

The problem is, I can't remember how I saved those, and how to re-load them now. The files I saved were generated at the same timestamp as the IR files. The files I have are 9Kbyte text files containing only a hex dump of 0000: to 07F0:

The Load button on the Setup tab in KM will not load these text files. The message is that the file is not valid. The button requires an update file, which is comma-delimited text.

I can't remember what I did to generate those hex files or how to reload them now. I thought I saved with the Save button, but apparently not.

How do I re-load these Hex format text files back into KM? I can load the .IR files into the IR program, but I can't figure out how to reload into KM to continue customization work.

Thanks,

Tim.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .txt files you are trying to load into KM are not saved KM files. They are old files used by IR before it switched to using .IR files;

You can load those old IR files in IR, and that will allow you to see the raw upgrades generated by KM that you transfered into IR. KM can't import those, but RM can. However, when importing a raw upgrade, the functions that are imported are given the name of the button to which they are assigned. That's because the function names aren't stored in the raw upgrade. This will probably be correct for some functions, but probably not for others.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to try to do this with RM. Here's how to do it.
  1. Download and install RM. Links and directions available here.
  2. Startup RM
  3. Use "Import Raw Upgrade..." under the Advanced menu.
  4. Select the remote you are using
  5. Start up IR.
  6. Open your saved .txt file with IR
  7. Switch to the Devices tab.
  8. Select the upgrade you want.
  9. Click the Edit button.
  10. Copy everything from IR's Upgrade Device dialog to RM's Import Raw Upgrade dialog.

You'll have to go back to the Setup tab in RM to enter the Setup Code.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you try importing your IR upgrades into RM, check your hard drive to see what other files you have. If you saved your upgrades from KM, these should also be *.txt files, which if you open them will look something like this...

Code:
Name:,Adcom GTP-500,,,,v7.54,,,,,,,CURRENT DATA
Devices:,F12,7,,,,,,,,,,
Manual:,,0 = 1-byte,LSB-COMP,88,NO,,,,,,,
Setup:,2023,99 = 15-2117 / 15-2116,15 - Amp,OBC,USE,,,,,,,
15-2117 / 15-2116 Device Upgrade/Key Move Code:,,,,,,,,,,,,
Upgrade Code 0 = B7 E7 (Amp/2023),,,,,,,,,,,,
1A 00 D0 08 61 E0 00 44 48 50 60 81 82 84 02 00 04 08 00 A0 90 20 10,,,,,,,,,,,,
KeyMoves,,,,,,,,,,,,
 27 F3 B7 E7 88,,,,,,,,,,,,
End,,,,,,,,,,,,

These files and be loaded into either KM or RM for you to make further mdifications.

If you don't find any upgrade files on your HD, you can also check the file section to see if we have the upgrade files that you need. Hopefully you loaded copies of your upgrade files for others to share back when you created them.
timg11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies Greg and Rob. I'm remembering how I did the work before. I used KM to convert existing upgrade files. I used the copy/paste procedure described in JP1-easy.PDF to copy the protocol code into IR. I did all the customizing work in IR, and that is the program that saved the versions of the text files with the hex data. That is why there is nothing saved from KM.

I was hoping to use the Key Map tab in KM to document the settings in the remote.

As far as I can tell, KM isn't really capable of dealing with the full set of changes necessary to define a remotes behavior the way IR is. It works with one device at a time. If my remote needed two upgrade files, only one could be loaded into KM at a time apparently.

Thanks,

Tim.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KM (and RM) are tools used to customize upgrades. If you download an upgrade, you'll probably find that the upgrade was created for a different remote than the one that you are using, so at the very least you will need to use KM (or RM) to change the selected remote to your remote. Then you'll need to verify that you like the way the buttons are laid out on your remote. After all, just because the button layout made sense to the other guy with his remote, doesn't mean they'll make sense to you with your remote.

Then, once you have the upgrade formatted just the way you want it, you cut & paste the upgrade code over to IR.exe.

The only customizing that you can do in IR.exe is (a) creating keymoves and (b) creating macros.

Your goal, as stated in this thread, is to open one of your current upgrades in KM so you can do further customizing. To do that, you will need your original KM files. If you didn't save the output from KM, you will need to re-download the original files and re-do all the work that you did before.

Alternatively, you can import your upgrades from IR using RM, but you will lose all the true function names.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: