JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

HTpro/9910 - Can the backlight color be changed? Anyone Try?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the voltage questions, check out this thread where "SilentBob" is using a URC-9910 running off of a 9v battery (instead of the 6v total AAA batteries) as an experiment to get better range out of the RF extender. Apart from rapid battery drain, he hasn't reported any damage to the remote itself.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm not sure higher voltage will be needed. As I said, I was finally able to sit down with this remote this morning and dedicate some attention to it, and as I was thinking about it it occured to me one of the most basic principles of electronics, that electricity will follow the path of least resistance.

Quick aside: When I first bought the LEDs that I thought might work, I bought 0603 low profile LEDs from Mouser. I got 4 of the white and 4 of the blue. I was going to use the red that were on the board and do the red, white, and blue. When I finally got them in and put them on, my first impression was that it just wouldn't work, as they didn't light up. So I took them off. Yesterday I removed the dome LEDs and 0 Ohm resistors that were working in the pics I took. I put the 0603 LEDs back on, and hoped I could figure something out.

When I thought of that electricity principle this morning, I quickly went and removed the four LEDs that were original to the board (the red ones) and the other 8 worked great! So I have just ordered more of the blue and the white LEDs and hope to have those in next week. When they come in we will see if the circuit will support 12 and not just 8 LEDs. I suspect that it will. Even if it only supports 10, it will be plenty to light everything but the LCD display.

The key was to get all LEDs that are roughly equal in resistance, so that the flow through all branches is equal. I will have more updates after I get those LEDs.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The switch was successful! I was able to put all white LEDs in and they all worked. The only thing I see is the LEDs that illuminate the LCD are not right angle LEDs, so they don't illuminate it very well. In a dark room, though, it's enough to see what is on the screen. I am posting a pic below. Tomorrow I will change out all of these white LEDs with blue and get another pic.

Edit: Somehow these images were deleted from imageshack.

Here it is tomorrow, and here is a pic of the blue 9811. I think I like the blue better.

Edit: Somehow these images were deleted from imageshack.

So the LEDs I used were Mouser part #638-19217W1DNPHY3 Low Profile Surface Mount LED, White and part #638-19217BHCN1P23 Low Profile Surface Mount LED, Blue.

The orientation of the LED on the board is with the cathode away from the + sign. The LEDs on the board already seem to be reverse polarity, where they put the cathode toward the +. Something to keep in mind.

The LED color can be changed, and the LEDs can be had for less than $1.00 each. We know blue and white work, and I suspect that green and amber would also work. I don't know what other color anyone would want to put on, but as long as the LEDs are of the same forward voltage rating, it seems as though it would work. I am sure that the battery life will decrease a little, although I can't imagine it would be substantial.

Last edited by jherrick on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the story with the right angle LEDs, are they hard to find or hard to install? Do you have a part number for a right angled part that should work?
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't really had time to look, but after a cursory search it appears that 638-1221BHCAN192C would work.

They are not hard to install, but they are harder to find.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did some figuring, and in order to make it worth my time (I would make less than $5.00 a remote) I would have to have at least 14 people that wanted to pay $10.00 each for their remote to get modded. That would break down into doing 10 blue and 4 white. Shipping would be on the customer ($3.65 priority mail, not included in the $10.00). If the interest is generated, and people felt strongly enough about the color of their backlighting that they wanted to pay $13.65 to get it changed, I would do it.

By my figures it would cost roughly the same for someone to do the mod themself, ordering the parts through Mouser. If someone wanted to get the LEDs through the source that Tommy or Rob suggested they may save a little.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim,
If there are enough people that want a modded remote, who don't already have a remote, I could arrange for you to get the remotes at wholesale cost. IIRC, the 9910s need to be ordered in units of 4 and the 8910s need to be ordered in units of 6. That way you could make a little bit more for each remote. Drop me a line offline if you want more info.

I think a "red, white and blue" remote might be quite popular (ie, red transport keys, white numbers and blue LCD/upper portion).

Just out of curiosity, how long does it take you to strip off all the old LEDs and solder in the new ones? Even for a pro, I'm guessing it's not a quick job.
bob_m

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW

Cool to seem my question got answered and tested 8)

Considering I only paid $8 per remote (HTPro) I'm not sure yet if I'd pay $15 just for color mod. *shrug*

I'll have to think about and see how this progresses. Wink
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should never judge the value of an item by how much you paid for it, it's true value is how much it's worth to you. For example, quite a few people where able to score 15-1994 remotes for just $10 a piece when RS discontinued it, but try finding one of them willing to sell it to you for under $50!

If you're happy enough with the red backlight, stick with it, but if you'd prefer a blue or white backlight, shell out the extra $15. That would mean your remote cost you a whopping $23!!! Try finding a retailer who'll sell you a URC-9910, with the red backlight, for just $23! Better yet, buy the parts and do it yourself.
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could find the right resistance for the red LED branch of the circuit, it should be easy to do a red, white, and blue. The resistor would have to go in series with those LEDs so that they would drop the same voltage as the others. Maybe tomorrow I'll check that out. I just happen to have a small pot that will work well for that purpose. Very Happy
bob_m

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree value is personal opinion. I just don't know if I'm willing to have them modded (at any cost). I don't have a problem with the red, I was just curious if it could be done Smile

OOOH, I could have a red, blue & green one and play light-saber-remote wars *snicker*
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or how about red, yellow and green, then use it to play some rastarfari music on the CD player!
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob_m wrote:
...I just don't know if I'm willing to have them modded (at any cost)...

Why is this? Do you not trust me? I am certified to J-STD-001C standards for soldering, and certified to IPC-A-610C for electronics inspection. I work with MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems) every day.

The size of these 0603 electronics is huge compared to what I am used to. If it is maintaining the integrity of your device that you are worried about, worry more about the soldering and workmanship done in China or Indonesia or wherever UEIC gets their remotes made.

I am not trying to flame or be rude, but you did ask if the mod had been done/tried. Why did you ask if you didn't want to do it?
bob_m

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to know you're qualified to do it. I'll keep that in mind Very Happy
I asked cause I'm curious and the idea popped into my head. (NOTE: I've been busy/lazy lately and haven't even finished programing my 3 remotes yet Rolling Eyes - Thats a slight factor in not needing modded remotes at this time.)
At the momemt I "personally" will keep an eye on this post and seem if you perfect it - especially red/white/blue mod that seems to need some kind of power modulation. (70% of the techinical part of this thread is beyond me). Embarassed

jherrick wrote:
bob_m wrote:
...I just don't know if I'm willing to have them modded (at any cost)...

Why is this? Do you not trust me? I am certified to J-STD-001C standards for soldering, and certified to IPC-A-610C for electronics inspection. I work with MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems) every day.

The size of these 0603 electronics is huge compared to what I am used to. If it is maintaining the integrity of your device that you are worried about, worry more about the soldering and workmanship done in China or Indonesia or wherever UEIC gets their remotes made.

I am not trying to flame or be rude, but you did ask if the mod had been done/tried. Why did you ask if you didn't want to do it?
jherrick
JP1 Vendor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by jherrick on Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: