JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

OFA 8910, Device keys, and macros, -oh my!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiveliter8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: OFA 8910, Device keys, and macros, -oh my! Reply with quote

Hi all,

First post here, and I hope this question isn't too stupid, as I'm a newbie at JP1. Anyways, here goes. I am programming my remote (using JP1, of course), to use device keys as macros. The reason for this is my receiver is a "home theater in a box" type affair and all inputs (audio and video) are switched through it. What I'm trying to do is, for example, make the device button "SAT" switch the input for "SAT" on my home theater receiver, then go back to functioning as the remote for the satellite receiver. My question is, if I program a macro onto the "SAT" device button, will the remote still be in "SAT" mode? The macro would be something like this:
Pressing "SAT": RCVR (switch to rcvr mode), 2 (which is "SAT" on home theater rcvr),SAT (back to "SAT" function).
My guess is that when you program a macro onto a device key, it's original function is lost, correct? If this is the case, how can I get the remote to switch back to "SAT" mode at the end of the macro? Is there a way to put a device code into a macro?
Hope I didn't confuse anyone. Thanks in advace for the help,
Alex
jon_armstrong
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 8910 is one of the few OFA remotes that CAN have macros assigned to the device keys without an extender. If you assign a macro, it will always execute that macro when you press the device key. If you have as the last device key in the macro as SAT, then rather than loop it sets SAT in the conventional sense (the buttons in the SAT mode will be effective). And you always want the SAT device as the last device set (unless you are doing for the reason described in the last paragraph.)

Try creating your macro on shift-SAT first, then if you like that behavior remove the tick mark for shift in the macro. Also if you have discrete power commands for your gear you can add them in the macro as well.

It is also a technique to use with an alternative device installed on a less intuitive device key. Say you had two VCR's and the second was on AUX. You could have a macro on shift-VCR that would actually take you to AUX as the last device but you press shift-VCR (or AUX.)
fiveliter8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great to hear. I went ahead and uploaded the program to the remote and pressed SAT. It defaulted back to SAT after the macro and kept the device code displayed. I'm (ahem) at work doing this so will have to wait till I get home to try it. Thanks a million for the advice!

Alex
fiveliter8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! Works like a charm. Now to see if I can figure out this discrete power thing. Smile Thanks a million!
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: