JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Confused - HTPro - What is point of Commercial Skip button?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob_m

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Confused - HTPro - What is point of Commercial Skip button? Reply with quote

So what is the point of the Commercial Skip button on the HTPro remote if we can't program anything to use it without an extender (which I have not researched yet)?

Which devices (within the remote) can actually use the COM Skip button?

I"m confused becuase the BOX claims it has commerical skip feature. False advertisement?
pH7_jp1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all buttons, it will only support the commercial skip IF the device you are controlling has that feature and it will support it out-of-the-box only IF they chose to program it for you. Typical devices that may have commercial skip are VCRs and DVRs (like TIVO).

I don't know why you say you have to have an extender to program a function on that key. You should be able to keymove or learn on that button with the standard remote. Using IR you can do anything with that button that you can with all others.

It isn't false advertising if they support commercial skip for one supported device - and I expect that they do for many more than that. You cannot expect that the remote will cause your device to do something that it is not designed to do - for instance, do not expect to be able to REW your TV. Smile
bob_m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't expect the button to rewind my tv Confused
However I do expect to be able to program my commerical skip from my dvd/vcr to the com skip button using KM and IR.
As posted in another thread (couldn't find it) I was told that this remote CAN'T be programmed to use that button UNLESS I create/use an extender.
This is the third remote I'm programming (HTPro) and I've tried using RM, KM, learning IR and Keymove functions to get the com skip button to function. Nothing works. *shrug*
What is the point of a button that can be used?

What happens when I try to program my comcast DVR that HAS a commerical skip feature to this button? I bet it's not going to work. But the box states it will. "Sorta" false advertisement if you ask ME.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, it sure sounds like you're complaining to us about a feature that was built into the remote. Keep in mind that we are neither "One For All" nor UEI, those are the people that you should be yelling at.

If you don't like the way the button works "as is", the experts in the JP1 world have given you a way to program it to do whatever you want (ie, loading the extender) which you have chosen not to use, so I don't see what you're complaining about.

As for the "false advertising" charge, as you can see from the section of the manual that covers this button (copied from page 35 below), sp as lame as this feature is, it does what it is supposed to do...

Quote:
USING COMMERCIAL SKIP
The URC-8910 remote control includes a unique Commercial Skip feature, once programmed, that will allow you to skip viewing commercials by pressing the COM SKIP key. Then, as you change channels (to view another program without commercials), an internal timer will count down a preset time interval before returning the device to the original channel.

Programming Commercial Skip
For example, let's assume you are watching a national sports event on channel 2 that consistently breaks for one-minute commercials. Meanwhile, cable channel 26 is showing a favorite action movie without commercials. By performing the following steps, you can set Commercial Skip to automatically return the cable converter to the sports event after one minute of viewing the movie:

NOTE: Commercial Skip only works in the following modes: TV, VCR, DVD, CBL, and SAT.

1. Select the device where channels will be changed (e.g., CBL).

2. On the URC-8910 remote control, press and hold COM SKIP until you see the display change from the current device and time to [CHANNEL].

3. Use the keypad to enter a favorite channel number (e.g., 002). The display will show your entry.

NOTE: If the original remote control required pressing an Enter key to change the channel, also press the ENTER key after the channel number (e.g., 0-0-2-ENTER). However, the display will not show the ENTER key.

4. Press SELECT once to accept your channel entry. You will see the display change to [30 SEC].

5. or If desired, press UP-ARROW (or DOWN-ARROW) one or more times to select a different time interval. Your choices are 30 (default), 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 seconds. For this example, select 60 seconds.

6. Press SELECT once to accept the 60-second setting. You will see [SUCCESS] appear in the display, followed by [EXIT SETUP].The URC-8910 remote control will automatically exit the programming mode and return to normal operation.

Operating Commercial Skip

In our example, let's assume you are watching a national sports event on cable channel 2 and it looks like a commercial is about to appear. Immediately, press COM SKIP once and then enter channel 26 (e.g. 026).

The cable converter will switch to channel 26 and, after 1 minute, automatically return to channel 2. The next time a commercial appears, try pressing COM SKIP once, followed by PREV once to activate the same sequence.

For a more powerful Commercial Skip technique, try programming these steps into an open macro key (see Using Macros on page 34). This way you will be able to press one key to switch channels and return after a preset time.

bob_m

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I guess I shouldn't post while I"m half away and grumpy. SORRY Embarassed

As far as extenders - I just haven't gotten around to them yet *shrug*

Thanks for the quote from the manual - I guess my definition (and the DVR's definition) of "commerical skip" and OFA's definition is totally different.

Time to go read about extender or forget about that button...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: