JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Missed Boat, Can't Find Dock...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Missed Boat, Can't Find Dock... Reply with quote

Could someone help me understand some basic JP1 concepts. I have all tools (incl. JP1 cable, IR, RM, KM, various documentation, etc) installed and they seem to work correctly, but...

Since neither RM nor KM seem to read IR's files, how does one establish a baseline to begin modifing an otherwise working device? Should I manually research each key code for each device and enter each one separately, thus creating the upgrades?

If the process is: download to IR, (perhaps) make a few changes within IR, save for backup, and upload from IR - what are RM and KM used for other than allowing creation of an upgrade for a device intended to be controlled by a non-learning remote?

You can tell from the above that I am wandering around in left field...
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JP1 tools cannot acces the built-in setup codes (in the remotes ROM) which is why there's no way to go from IR to KM or RM.

The first thing you should do is check the file section to see if there's an upgrade for your device. If so, you can usually customize it to your liking with KM or RM. If not, and you have a learning remote, you'll need to create your own upgrade from scratch. Be sure to read all the beginners documentation.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Missed Boat, Can't Find Dock... Reply with quote

jdc wrote:
Since neither RM nor KM seem to read IR's files,

True. But more importantly, IR's files don't contain data on built-in setup codes.

jdc wrote:
how does one establish a baseline to begin modifing an otherwise working device?

There are lots of approaches, a few of them are:

1) Keep the built-in setup code and just patch it with a few KeyMoves and/or learned signals. So you can use that "baseline" without ever knowing what it contains.

2) Find your built-in setup code in the devices4.xls file (which works only if the 15-1994 contains the same setup codes).

3) Find a JP1 upgrade for your device, built by someone else.

4) Find a CCF file for your device and decode it with DecodeCCF.

jdc wrote:
Should I manually research each key code for each device and enter each one separately, thus creating the upgrades?

That's another reasonable choice.

jdc wrote:
what are RM and KM used for other than allowing creation of an upgrade for a device intended to be controlled by a non-learning remote?

There are lots of advantages to upgrades vs. learned signals, even for remotes that support learning. So RM and KM are for creating and editing device upgrades. (without such a narrow view on what the upgrade is for).

jdc wrote:
You can tell from the above that I am wandering around in left field...

I hope we cleared things up a little.
jdc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Found Dock... Reply with quote

I'm on my way now!

I really appreciate the fact that you two took the time to help me out of my tight (mental) loop. I think I now understand how to get to my objective.

Thanks...
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: