JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

LKP Macro confusion.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenough1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: re: finding LKP in the SP tab of IR? Reply with quote

I'm also running extender 3. I don't see SP tab in IR6.0. I updated the rdf's. Did a fresh download from the remote and still no SP tab. What am I doing wrong? I also tried doing it manually as per appendix b of the 6012 extender doc and still no tab.

Help,
jeff
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure the protocols and devices are still in the IR file. The combination of the RDF and protocols is required.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phobia wrote:

I'm uploading my IR file... maybe somebody can tell me why the TV volume is buggy. (I tried adding the DEV_AUX (aux is my rcvr) and then the set_vol_key string, but then my macros started acting all bugged out)

Maybe there is a glitch that somebody can catch.

-- Phob

Try removing all of the references to the native device names like CBL, TV etc. from your macros and replace them with the appropriate DEV_. For ex. all the CBL entries should be DEV_CBL. The native device name means nothing with the extender unless there is and EFC on it and will typically cause a loop.
Phobia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll try that.

How do I leave the remote in a particular mode at the tail end of the macro? (I purposely used to turn on the CBL last so as to be in that "mode" at the end of the macro) If I understand the DEV_CBL etc. they don't actually reset the current "mode" of the remote. Do I manually enter all of the desired SET commands to replace this functionality?

Thanks,

-- Phob
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SET_ commands is what decides what mode the remote is functioning in. The SET_LCD is what decides what the remote displays based on the last DEV_ command. The key is the SET_ commands that decide what groups of buttons are functioning for the last device macro you ran.

You have to stop thinking of how the basic remote works when you use this extender. Each of the SET_ commands determines what functions work for whatever button you pressed. Truthfully, you could even leave the SET_LCD out and the remote would work the same based on the other SET_ commands. The only problem would be that no matter what device you set the remote would only display whatever the last DEV_ and SET_LCD was executed. More than likely if you did not do a SET_LCD the remote would always say TV. In other words if you want the display to say CBL you would do a DEV_CBL;SET_LCD

Also, you may not have dug into it yet but you can also change what the display says with the CustomModeName protocol which is documented in the ZIP file. For ex. I have two modes for watching cable. High Def and analog. so I changed the display to say HDTV and NORM depending on which CBL button I press.
Phobia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The labeling sounds very cool, but I'm not quite there yet.

I've setup all of my SET modes, and the volume keys etc. are behaving now, and the macros aren't behaving erratically. Thanks Nils!

I still have one problem. My Sat ON and OFF macros only manage to turn on the SAT box (the TV and RCVR turn on as expected and in the correct mode) 1/3 of the time. I suspect it has to do with either the speed of the macro (how rapidly each key is pushed in succession) or the actual duration of the burst of IR data.

Does the "duration" entry in the Special Protocol / LKP Macro setup have anything to do with this, or am I looking at something more advanced in order to get this to work?

I've uploaded (and deleted the old file) my most current IR file :

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=1293

Thanks again Smile

-- Phob
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the LKP duration has nothing to do with how fast functions are sent.

There are 2 possibilities as to why the macros are not always working and both are related to timing. The macro in the extender is much faster than the basic remote and it may be sending commands too fast or like you said the IR burst might be too short. I would first try changing the order of the macro and put SAT first, in the middle or last. This may solve the problem. Just try each position. My TV for ex. does not like to be first in the power on macro for some reason.

There is the possibility that the IR burst timing is a problem and there is a fix for that but first try experimenting with the order of the macro since the burst timing is more complicated.
Phobia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

I tried re-ordering the SAT on/off macros, but the same behaviour is noticed. I should also say that when I turn on the SAT box manually, I usually need to give the button quite a long press ... so long that often my LKP macro kicks in. This would lead me to believe that the duration of the SAT Power command in the macro needs to be longer.

Pure speculation on my part, but in my head it makes logical sense.

What do you think?
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The process for increasing the duration of a signal is using the Device Combiner protocol in either KM or RM to create an upgrade for the device. In the device combiner you get the option to alter the signal duration.

Before we dig into doing this first try something for me. Making sure that the SAT Power function is the last function executed in the macro try holding the button down until all devices are powered on. Holding the button will force the last command to be sent repeatedly. If this does not work as I think than there is the possibility that the device/protocol resident in the remote is not perfect and it may be worthwhile to find an upgrade in the file section for your SAT device and install that in IR and see if that helps.
Phobia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some interesting results.

When I hold down my ON macro for the SAT device, it seems loop all the way back to the receiver and issue a power off for the receiver. ie. the devices all turn on (except the SAT box for the majority of the time) and then the receiver turns off.

When I hold the OFF macro for the SAT device, all of the devices turn off EXCEPT the SAT box 100% of the time, BUT when I release the button, the SAT turns OFF 100% of the time. (the SAT box doesn't respond until the key is released, but does so every time)

If I am coming and going from the same device (SAT, CBL etc.) I can re-use the OFF macro to turn ON the devices (the RCVR automatically powers on to the last used input with a generic Power command), and the same behaviour is noted. After the button is released, the SAT box turns on 100% of the time, but not before it has been released.

I am thinking of switching my macros for the LKP ON functions. As an experiment, I wanted to try calling nested macros (SHIFT-Last for SAT) for the ON cycles. All of my ON LKP macros call my "old" SHIFT-"Key" macros, which I updated with the appropriate DEV_CBL etc. commands. The receiver turning back off when holding the LKP macro leads me to believe that there is a flaw to this method.

At any rate, I'm very interested to know what you think. Perhaps the SAT 0775 setup code's Power command isn't perfect for my box?

Thanks

-- Phob
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you have had a variety of results it is a good possibility that experimenting with the macros will solve the problem.

There may be a better upgrade for your SAT box. It may be buried here somewhere but what brand and model box do you have?
Phobia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its an ExpressVU 3100 which is the same as the Dish 301 model receiver.
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two upgrades in the forum file section under Satellite that look promising.

DishNetwork_301_Upgrade_1994

and

Dish 301 Dev 1 1775

Neither is setup for the 2116 but that is not a problem. You can either open them with KM or import them to RM then change the remote type. Then validate that the functions are assigned to the buttons of your choice, then install in IR, then to the remote.
Phobia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The upgrade "Dish 301 Dev 1 1775" is actually for the 15-2116 and exhibits the exact same behaviour as the stock 0775 code for the Power button.

The other upgrade "DishNetwork_301_Upgrade_1994.txt" required a Protocol and Device update which I added through IR. The device is called 1775 but the remote identifies it on the LCD as 0392 ... is this normal? This upgrade doesn't operate my satellite box at all as is.

Starting to look like I'm going to have to learn about playing with the IR burst durations ... Wink

-- phob
Phobia

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to clarify the behaviour of holding down the SAT ON macro.

It actually seems to do the whole macro twice and then stops on the SAT Power command which is the last in the macro... is this because of the nested macro? I actually went to remove the nested macro, but then realized that I need to nest because my commands exceed the 14 allowed. (at least that is what IR tells me)

The SAT OFF macro doesn't loop through twice. The difference is that there isn't any nesting (as I don't bother setting the SET commands, so its shorter).

What do you think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Beginners All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: