JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

8810W vs. 9910

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob_m

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: 8810W vs. 9910 Reply with quote

I got a 8810W from Walmart and Best Buy's picture of the 9910 appear to be nearly identical. (Other than the LCD screen - benifts of 9910?)

Are there any button differences? I don't really need IR, I just need as many DVR buttons as possible.

Is there anything "special" about the "W" version? Or does it just stand for Walmart Rolling Eyes

Difference between 8810w and 8811?

I guess I should have researched more...

apparently there is also an 8910? Is this a 9910 without RF?

Last edited by bob_m on Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 8810W vs. 9910 Reply with quote

bob_m wrote:
I got a 8810W from Walmart and Best Buy's picture of the 9910 appear to be nearly identical.
Except that the 9910 has an LCD display.

Quote:
Are there any button differences? I don't really need IR, I just need as many DVR buttons as possible.
Off the top of my head, I believe the button layouts to be very similar if not identical.

Quote:
Or does it just stand for Walmart
You got it!

Quote:
Difference between 8810w and 8811?
Functionally none. The w is sold by you-know-who and is numbered differently to basically prevent price-matching with other retailers.
bob_m

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info
you answered quicker than I editted Smile

What BENIFIT / added functionallity do you get with the LCD versions (8910 and 9910)?
Any real benifit if using IR.exe other than telling you which remote is in use?
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob_m wrote:

What BENIFIT / added functionallity do you get with the LCD versions (8910 and 9910)?

Most people sometimes forget which device mode they used last and press a button assuming the remote is already in the desired device mode, when it isn't.

That's just as likely with or without the LCD (which probably timed out before the user forgot). The difference is what happens when you press that wrong key.

Without LCD the button has no effect on the intended device and might or might not have a noticable effect on the unintended device. Then you're left to guess what went wrong.

With the LCD, you look at the remote as you wonder what went wrong, so you see the display of the unintended device mode and know what to fix.

Most of us have no trouble realizing what went wrong, even without the LCD, and the button press to fix the device mode is the same either way. So I think the LCD is worthless. But new users of universal remotes may find it reduces some confusion. So it may be a good idea if you have baby sitters or other visitors who will be using your universal remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> Non-JP1 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: