JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Silver Epoxy for 6 pin connector

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sw_urc9960

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Silver Epoxy for 6 pin connector Reply with quote

1. Has anyone tried to use silver epoxy to attach the 6 pin adapter to the URC 9960? It seems that this might be easier than opening the case and soldering the pins in place.
2. If yes, then where is the quickest place to get some. There are plenty of online sites but I don't want to wait.
3. Does anyone have any other tricks that I can use temporarily? As you can imagine holding the 6 pin to the board was not effective.

I was planning to use a POGO pin adapter but unfortunately it was not included with my order as expected. I have seen the posts on how to take the remote apart and solder the connections and I may still give this a try.
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of silver epoxy so I can't comment on it's effectiveness, but personally I would still recommend using solder and hot glue.

The solder is there primarily to make the electrical contact, it's not there to provide too much support. The hot glue is there to actually hold the 6-pin in place.

The opening is too small to be able to do any of this without taking the remote apart, so even if you were to use epoxy, you'd still need to open the remote.

You only need to remove the casing itself, you don't need to dismantle the stuff that's attached to he PCB (ie, the black plastic framework) as there's enough room to solder and glue in the opening provided.
sw_urc9960

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are interested in the epoxy I found three manufactures and numerous suppliers using a froogle search for "electrical conductive epoxy". They each claim to be used to make quick solderless electrical connections to PC boards.

I was thinking you could put a drop on each pin and position it with a pair of pliers or tweezers. Once the epoxy dries the hot glue could be added for stability.
mtakahar
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just wondering how you fix it if it spreads too much and connects unwanted contancts?

Hal
zaphod7501

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the heat from a soldering iron will vaporise it almost instantly. You might want to experiment on scrap electronics first. (something headed for the trash anyway)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I think the general assumption is that someone using this stuff is someone who's not comfortable soldering, so they would probably need a different solution if the glue spreads.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: