JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

RM not workin right
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: RM not workin right Reply with quote

I downloaded and replaced .65 with .66. I never got a chance to actually try .65 so I don't know for sure if something happened during the update, or not.

I can only select between 10 protocols. The worst part is they are all "new" ones, none of the "oldies but goodies". I couldn't find "Nec1" or any other nec on the dropdown list. I checked, and the rdf has 00 5A in it's protocol "list", so I fail to see why it isn't an option.

While I'm at it: 2 things I'm not crazy about. 1. why is it that both KM and RM have "0" at the top of the digit's list? That always throws me off, since I commonly use digits for inputs in upgrades. AND, I don't have a single remote where "0" precedes "1", it's always sequenced after "9". I think most remotes and setup codes liken "0" to "10". Even a phone dial pad has "0" following "9". and 2. I know on "functions" you can "type over" the functions list and insert meaningful functions names. I really like how KM has another 60 or so "blank" entries where you can type these in, after using up the meaningful names that are there like numerals, vol., channels, arrows, etc.

Jim
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I was able to fix the protocol thing, also the image map which I didn't metion before.

One more request: Can someone please change the names for the two Millenium remote RDF's. Can we PLEASE call the "version 3" B00, and the other one B01_B04. Ver.3 assumes the user knows somehow that version 3 applies to the B00 remote and that the other one applies to the B01 and B04 versions.

I like the fact that you can have two (maybe more) rdfs for the same remote with a slight difference in the rdf name in RM. A few minor changes/features and I could even like this thing. Nice Job Greg, John, Nils, et al.

Oh yeah, what I did was add rob's new Intuitive rdf. The slight problem was it didn't list the protocol section. I copied and pasted from the one Nils did. RM didn't recognize the change until I closed and reopened RM. I also had to change the image settings to "Intuitive.map" from "generic" to fix the image. After that it was "thumbs up".

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: RM not workin right Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
I know on "functions" you can "type over" the functions list and insert meaningful functions names. I really like how KM has another 60 or so "blank" entries where you can type these in, after using up the meaningful names that are there like numerals, vol., channels, arrows, etc.
Just use RM's [New] button to add blank rows where you can enter additional function names.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. Knowing now that there was a "new" button got me looking for it. I had to drag and drop RM up a little to partially see the buttons, lower taskbar and systems tray had those buttons covered. F-11 will lower the taskbar with browser, etc, but doesn't seem applicable with RM.

No comment on the "0" placement thing?

Also an "official" request to officially rename Mill4 ver 3 to _B00; and the other Mill4 rdf to _B01_B04. I know I can rename them myself in my copy, but everytime there's an update RM and IR will replace it right back unless it's "officially" changed. The "names" as is aren't intuitive at all. PLEASE.

Jim
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
No comment on the "0" placement thing?

I can't really do anything in KM due to backward compatability issues. However, in RM you can use the Move Up and Move Down buttons to rearrange the order on the Functions tab.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RM not workin right Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
While I'm at it: 2 things I'm not crazy about. 1. why is it that both KM and RM have "0" at the top of the digit's list? That always throws me off, since I commonly use digits for inputs in upgrades. AND, I don't have a single remote where "0" precedes "1", it's always sequenced after "9". I think most remotes and setup codes liken "0" to "10". Even a phone dial pad has "0" following "9". and 2.

The default function names and order was taken from KM. I think it would be reasonable to put 0 after 9 instead of before 1.

The order of the buttons on the Button panel is a different matter. The order is taken from the longest ButtonMap, after that the order follows the order in the RDF.
jamesgammel wrote:
I know on "functions" you can "type over" the functions list and insert meaningful functions names. I really like how KM has another 60 or so "blank" entries where you can type these in, after using up the meaningful names that are there like numerals, vol., channels, arrows, etc.
Jim

As has already been pointed out, that's what the "New" button is for. There is also "New" on the context menu (right-click) if you don't want to move your mouse all the way to the bottom of the panel.
jamesgammel wrote:
Also an "official" request to officially rename Mill4 ver 3 to _B00; and the other Mill4 rdf to _B01_B04. I know I can rename them myself in my copy, but everytime there's an update RM and IR will replace it right back unless it's "officially" changed. The "names" as is aren't intuitive at all. PLEASE.

Done, look for it in the next release.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just FYI, re: the "0" thing. That stems from the fact that the "0" button is positioned right before the "1" in every keymap in every remote. I don't know if you've ever noticed, but the order of the buttons in KM's Buttons sheet comes from the VCR device mode in the 15-1994, which is of course, the remote that the whole JP1 project was based on, before it expanded to include all the other remotes.

Rob
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: RM not workin right Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
I can only select between 10 protocols. The worst part is they are all "new" ones, none of the "oldies but goodies". I couldn't find "Nec1" or any other nec on the dropdown list. I checked, and the rdf has 00 5A in it's protocol "list", so I fail to see why it isn't an option.

You apparently fixed that. I hope you figured out what was going wrong, rather than had the problem just go away.

I can't guess what it might have been and I understand RM fairly well.

If another RM beginner runs into this I still wouldn't know.

So please tell us what you did to correct it.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
RM didn't recognize the change until I closed and reopened RM.

There's no need to close and re-open RM in this case. Simply select a different remote and then re-select the desired one. RM should re-read the "new" RDF.
Mark Pierson
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: RM not workin right Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
So please tell us what you did to correct it.

He did...
jamesgammel wrote:
Oh yeah, what I did was add rob's new Intuitive rdf. The slight problem was it didn't list the protocol section. I copied and pasted from the one Nils did.

The RDF didn't have the [Protocols] section.
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I did switch to a different "remote" (The rdf that came packaged with the latest RM for the Intuitive. I also switched to both Mill4 choices, then back to the "Rob" Intuitive RDF, then to the Modded Intuitive RDF with protocols added, and still got the limited protocols selection list. I concluded that RM "remembered" what was loaded in the rdf folder when it was opened, despite the changes I made. Once I closed and reopened RM, the changes started working. I had already figured that it wouldn't recognize a change if it was the rdf RM was currently using, almost even counted on that occuring. What threw me off was when i switched back to the pre-packaged (Nils) RDF, it had Nec-1 (the one I was looking for since it was one of the missing ones that should have been in the selection dropdown), but still wasn't after going back to it after the copy and paste was done. I wouldn't SWEAR that it would happen again exactly the same way, since there's always a possibility of user error. At any rate, closing and reopening did fix it, so IF someone else has this happen, at least he knows an easy fix. I should note that I got the JRE version of Java, maybe that made a difference between what I had happen, and what should have happened? I'd imagine all the experts got the SDK version. For the time being, I'm satisfied that I got it fixed, and just blamed it on Uncle Bill and windows.

Jim
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have 3 versions of the Intuitive RDF floading around. The one Rob is updating, the one that Kent and Jim are updating and the one I created for RM. I had added the protocol section and a couple of other minor changes to mine but the others keep getting updated (I can tell because it keeps coming back with the Generic map instead of the Intuitive map). I send it to Jim to test so he was able to copy what was missing from mine to the later version . When the dust settles on this one I will create one final one for RM and KM.

Nils
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted Rob's (posted at JP-1) because it was the most correct, and complete. Only 2 things weren't, no protocols section, and the image map used "genereic". His also had the digitmaps section (THANKS ROB !!!!!!), which none of the others had. Copying and pasting the protocols section was an easy fix, and retyping generic>intuitive was also an easy fix. Rob's also had the name with B01 added which I wanted to prevent a nightmare coming up possibly in the future.
Nil's: If you want I can send you my copy which has all the latest changes, and *should be* the most accurrate and complete to date. Kent may still have some fine-tuning to do yet, haven't had a chance for several days to work on it with him. He is using RM since he doesn't have Excel.
Jim
Nils_Ekberg
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesgammel wrote:
Nil's: If you want I can send you my copy which has all the latest changes, and *should be* the most accurrate and complete to date. Jim

Please do. I just want to make sure we distrbute the latest even if not finished.

Thanks,
jamesgammel
Exile Island Resident

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done, You've got mail

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Software All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: