JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

2116 exetender 2 and device multiplexor?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmets

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2003 11:28 pm    Post subject: 2116 exetender 2 and device multiplexor? Reply with quote

Is it possible to use the upgraded device muliplexor protocol with the 2116 extender 2? I haven't had sucess trying it.
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't make sense to use the Device Multiplexor with most of the latest extenders, including the 2116 extender version 2.

You should create macros that use the DEV_xxx and SET_xxx_KEYS commands instead.

For instance, suppose you want to be able to control two TV's. Using the Device Multiplexor w/o an extender, you could put the protocol on the Shift-1 key for one Setup Code and Shift-2 for the second Setup Code. Then you would have to press TV/Shift-1 to use the first one and TV/Shift-2 to use the second.

Using 2116x2 w/o the Device Multiplexor, you would assign the two Setup Codes you want to use to two separate devices on the General tab of IR. One would probably be the TV and the other would probably be a logical device, let's say DB-09.

Then you would create a macro to set the keys and LCD to the device you want and assign it to a button. Continuing with the example above, you would create a Macro on the TV button with the following definition: DEV_TV;SET_TRANS_KEYS;SET_VOL_KEYS;SET_CHAN_KEYS;SET_MENU_KEYS;SET_PIP_KEYS;SET_OTHER_KEYS;SET_LCD. Whenever you press the TV button, you would operate the TV device.

You would then create a second Macro on another button, let's say Shift-TV with the following definition: DEV_DB09;SET_TRANS_KEYS;SET_VOL_KEYS;SET_CHAN_KEYS;SET_MENU_KEYS;SET_PIP_KEYS;SET_OTHER_KEYS;SET_LCD. Whenever you press the Shift-TV button, you will operate the device on DB-09.

Hope that helps.
David
dmets

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand all of that - here is my problem.

I have distrobution system.

51 is a VCR
61 is a Computer TV Out
71 is a DVD
81 is a SA8000 DVR cable box
91 is a TiVo Series 2 PVR

When you press VCR on the remote - I want it to change the channel on the active TV to 91. Likewise on the other components...
This works great on the home theater remote - as there is only one TV. But upstairs there are two tv's on in the office and the other in the Bedroom. How can I set up an extender 2 macro to "know" which TV is active. The TV on the TV device or the TV on the Aux device?
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do but it sounds like you could use the ToadTog special protocol.

The ToadTog protocol allows you to set internal toggles on the remote and execute different macros based on the whether the flag is on or off.

Using ToadTog, you could turn a Toggle on when you make one TV active and turn it off when you make the other active. Then, you could execute different macros depending on the status of the toggle. ToadTog supports up to 8 different toggles, so you can combine and test multiple Toggles to handle more than 2 combinations.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for or not.

David
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2116 exetender 2 and device multiplexor? Reply with quote

dmets wrote:
Is it possible to use the upgraded device muliplexor protocol with the 2116 extender 2? I haven't had sucess trying it.

There is often less need for a device multiplexor protocol with an extender than without one, but you gave a good description of a case in which a device multiplexor probably is the cleanest solution.

To customize a device multiplexor for a specific model, the special protocols spreadsheet must know which register that model uses to store the currently selected device.

Many extenders change the whole concept of "currently selected device" so instead of just one there is one for each set of keys (volume, transport, channel, etc.) each of which uses a different register. One of those might or might not be the same register that the unextended 2116 uses for current device.

Hopefully one of the 2116 experts will answer this register question so you can either:

A) issue the right ?_TV command right before the multiplexor command so the register the multiplexor already uses will be set to TV.
or
B) edit the multiplexor protocol so it uses the register of the X_ command, so it's easier to specify which device each use of the multiplexor should go to.
vasqued2
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hopefully one of the 2116 experts will answer this register question so you can either:

A) issue the right ?_TV command right before the multiplexor command so the register the multiplexor already uses will be set to TV.

It looks like the multiplexor protocol uses R77 for the 2116. To change this register w/ the 2116v2 extender, you would need to issue DEV_xxx command followed by the SET_LCD command, where xxx is the device you want to change the Setup Code for.

Quote:
B) edit the multiplexor protocol so it uses the register of the X_ command, so it's easier to specify which device each use of the multiplexor should go to.

Because of the number of devices on the 2116, I had to change the device selection mechanism away from using the traditional X_, T_, V_ etc. commands. The DEV_xxx commands in the 2116v2 extender are the equivalent to the X_ commands in other extenders.

Here's the adjusted protocol using R6E, which is set by the DEV_xxx commands.

Code:
Upgrade protocol 0 = 01 FE (S3C8)             
 00 00 02 08 6E 02 00 06 C0 4E F5 03 C0 83 C0 04            
 AF            
End

David
dmets

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff. I can't wait to try this.

As a side note - I came up with a temporary band-aid until I am able to do it right.

My solution - the TVs are in different rooms so I just setup one on the TV device and one on the Aux Device. Then I send the channel codes to both TV and Aux. I figure the extra codes wont hurt as they don't do anything in the room where that TV isn't... Quick and dirty - I'll clean it up later - with the solution above.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Extenders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: