JP1 Remotes Forum Index JP1 Remotes

FAQFAQ SearchSearch 7 days of topics7 Days MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The new Motorola HCS08 Flash processor (JP1.2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the members are starting to build JP1.x interfaces using old, obsolete schematics. That's my fault for not making the latest information widely available. So if anyone is about to start, please hold off just a bit while I write some instructions. Meanwhile, Tom, if you'll send me your email address via P.M. I'll send you the info you need to update your unit.

Tommy
stacker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm over in Holland, just bought a 8201 to read from a new Remote and create a Slingbox code file. Just checked if it had a six pin header, wich it did.. Now I find out it must be this JP1.2. Am I on track or better return the remote and find a JP1 compatible over here.
If I can use this one, I'll wait and build a new design intf. (even later today?)
Or will this 8201 be useless, at least for a longer time?
Tnx..
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: How to build a serial interface for JP1.1 and JP1.2 remotes Reply with quote

I've posted new instructions for all you eager members who want to start uploading and downloading your JP1.x remotes. Please note that I am NOT involved in the software for these and can NOT answer any questions regarding the status of development of IR or KM for JP1.x. All I can promise is that this interface will talk to them.

The (corrected 9/28/06) link to the new file is:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=3585

Tommy

Last edited by Tommy Tyler on Thu Sep 28, 2006 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
jkoopman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: New Serial Interface for JP1 & JP1.x Reply with quote

Many thanks to Tommy, I've just built the new interface (just tweaked the previous design I'd already built), and I've gotten it working.

I'm a JP1 newbie, but been working with OfA remotes for a few years, and have a URC-10820.

Note for those of you using IR70beta2. In order for me to get it to work, I had to extract the files from the downloaded zip, AND add the file gwiopm.sys from the IR620.zip and DecodeIR.dll from Decode_IR_DLL.zip in order for ir.exe to fire up. Without these added files ir.exe just put up a message about an incomplete installation and died.

After that I just followed the instructions from Tommy's JP1 Beginners Guide and have already downloaded my remote, altered a bunch of my macro's (input painstakingly through remote keys previously), and uploaded them successfully.

Kudo's to the whole JP1.x team, I've been watching this space eagerly for months, and am delighted with the results.
jetskier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Serial Interface for JP1 & JP1.x Reply with quote

jkoopman wrote:
Many thanks to Tommy, I've just built the new interface (just tweaked the previous design I'd already built), and I've gotten it working.

That's great news and thanks Tommy for coming back to help create the new interfaces. I'm still waiting to get my stack of JP1.2 remotes to test.

How fast is the macro execution on a stock remote? Do we already need to get an extender in development to employ the fast macros? I heard the xx820 series has a lot more RAM for keymoves and device upgrades as well. I can't wait!

Also, has there been any work with migrating RM into IR? I know it involved a complete rewrite of the code, but would be awesome to drag and drop upgrades on the file. I wish I knew enough about coding to help.
johnsfine
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: New Serial Interface for JP1 & JP1.x Reply with quote

jetskier wrote:

How fast is the macro execution on a stock remote?

I think it is the same (super slow) as older non extender remotes.

jetskier wrote:
Do we already need to get an extender in development to employ the fast macros?

There are some basic questions open about what fundamental approach we will use for extenders in JP1.2. It WON'T be the same fundamental approach we use in JP1. It may involve more PC side software changes than JP1 extenders needed.

I would be interested to know which extender features would be popular for JP1.2 remotes.

jetskier wrote:

I heard the xx820 series has a lot more RAM for keymoves and device upgrades as well.

I think it does have a lot more RAM as well. But it uses flash for keymoves and upgrades and does allocate more flash for that purpose than a typical JP1 remote has eeprom. A JP1 remote uses each upgrade by copying it from eeprom to ram, so ram size limits the size of an individual upgrade, while eeprom size limits the total of all upgrades. A JP1.2 remote use the upgrades directly in flash. I'm not sure what limits may exist on the size of an individual upgrade.

jetskier wrote:

Also, has there been any work with migrating RM into IR?

I think Greg has made significant progress on rewriting IR inside RM.

Last edited by johnsfine on Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
jetskier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: New Serial Interface for JP1 & JP1.x Reply with quote

johnsfine wrote:
jetskier wrote:

Sweet. It must be a work in progress. Is he close to an alpha release?
aldaweb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tommy for posting the new interface.
Should this work with a USB to Serial as well?
I still have a headless PC with serial port but of course that means logging in remotely to use it.
gfb107
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Serial Interface for JP1 & JP1.x Reply with quote

jetskier wrote:
johnsfine wrote:
jetskier wrote:

Sweet. It must be a work in progress. Is he close to an alpha release?

See Prototype IR function in RM.
The #1 Code Search FAQ and it's answer (PLEASE READ FIRST)
Tommy Tyler
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aldaweb wrote:

Yes, it should. Both Nils and Rob were supposed to have tried this in the past month but haven't had time to report back to us. I invite you to be the first to try it and tell us if it works (please).

Tommy
The Robman
Site Owner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true. I actually bought a USB-to-serial adapter on ebay and haven't even taken it out of the blister pack yet!
aldaweb

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Tyler wrote:
aldaweb wrote:

Yes, it should. Both Nils and Rob were supposed to have tried this in the past month but haven't had time to report back to us. I invite you to be the first to try it and tell us if it works (please).

Tommy

I've quite a hectic shift pattern for the next week or so but if I get a quiet enough time between service calls to get round to building the interface I'll post back as soon as I've tested it.
shadsnz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say a big "Thank you" to Tommy and everyone else who has worked on the JP1.2 interface and software. After building the new interface I was able to download from my Kameleon 8206 last night! I was gutted to find this remote wasn't originally compatible with the tools available last year and have been watching developments over the months. So I'm stoked to be able to start tailoring things now. Thanks for all your hard work and efforts! Laughing
aldaweb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aldaweb wrote:
Tommy Tyler wrote:
aldaweb wrote:

Tommy

I've quite a hectic shift pattern for the next week or so but if I get a quiet enough time between service calls to get round to building the interface I'll post back as soon as I've tested it.

Initial tests are that it works reading the remote memory using a prolific PL2303 chip in the USB to Serial interface.
IR7.00 beta2 connects reads from the remote (urc-7555) but just shows raw data as there is no rdf yet.
aldaweb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: USB to Serial and JP1.2 Reply with quote

I can now confirm that the JP1.2 interface works for downloading and uploading with a USB to serial lead.
The lead used was a generic lead with a Prolific PL2303 chipset using the latest Prolific driver files.
Tested with a URC-7555 OFA5 remote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic       JP1 Remotes Forum Index -> JP1 - Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: